PDA

View Full Version : TO much iron

Quail Creek LC
06-16-2002, 11:13 PM
Just curious as to what would happen if ou put down too much Iron on the lawn. Will it burn it or discolor it?

tremor
06-17-2002, 07:37 PM
Too much is a matter of degree, the environmental conditions, & the type of turf.

The most common symptom is a severe darkening of the grass blade giving the turf an overall "black" appearance.

Being 30-50% higher than maximum labled rates will usually be OK when good growing conditions exist. I've never been any higher than that.

I've noticed that Bents, CR Fescue, and Poa all stress out easily especially when drought or heat is upon them. Under these conditions, the lower rates of Iron would be advisable.

The same precautions should apply to low cut turf.

Steve

dwost
06-18-2002, 10:21 AM
What products have the highest % of Iron? I've used Milorganite and it seems to be fairly high in content. Only problem is the amount you need to put down for an entire lawn is quite sizeable.

John DiMartino
06-18-2002, 10:57 PM
To much iron turns the grass purple,I use FE 08,by roots.Whatever you use,make sure you use a chelated iron.

MATTHEW
06-18-2002, 11:15 PM
Right. That fully chelated iron from rootsinc is great stuff.

I have used the "cheap" iron at higher rates, but results were not good beyond 10 days.

Another issue is moisture. You do not want to use iron on a lawn with low moisture levels. A dry fertilizer with 2% iron on a bone dry soil will be wasted.

My best results are from using 4 0z/1000 of the liquid chelated iron ( with P & K) from www.rootsinc.com on a moist turf.

jmarkwood
06-19-2002, 12:41 PM
I actually sprayed the LESCO 12-0-0 Iron Plus (4 oz per gallon the other day to moist turf and the next day it was rust colored. The over spray about killed the red peper plants. What is the rate and why did the turf not look up to standard?

MATTHEW
06-20-2002, 11:39 PM
Iron will not produce better color on diseased turfgrass. If there was any leaf spot, dollar spot, red thread, rust, ect., the healthy varieties not infected WILL improve while the diseased grasses will stick out like a sore thumb.

Check the blades before applying iron.

John DiMartino
06-20-2002, 11:57 PM
I put iron in with my fungicides,especially in the summer heat,when you cant put down N for fear of Pythium,but you need some color,since the stress is yellowing the greens,the Fe comes to the rescue,and the 3 week intervals i treat greens at with fungicides,works out to about the same time the Fe by roots is effective,so they make a nice tank mix for me.

Green Sweep
06-25-2002, 04:08 PM
I have been applying FeRROMeC A.C. at 5 oz. per 1000 sq.ft. My lawns have never looked so bad. Red Thread is not 'growing out', and the lawns are not greening up a bit. I am thinking about adding Urea (46-0-0) to give the lawns a boost. Any suggestions? Also, I have been reading about a product called CORON. Has anyone used this and what were the results? I am new to using liquid fertilizers and can use all of the help that I can get.

Thanks,

Rob

John DiMartino
06-25-2002, 08:23 PM
Rob,you can put some N down,but be conservative,with the temps in the 90's,and humidlty,if the nightitme temps hit high 60's,you have pythium weather,this will wipe out the lawn,rye grass is especially suseptible to this,so dont go tp crazy til unless we get a cold fron for a week or so.The iron wil not give you a lot of top growth,if its yellow you have other issues,Iorn wont help a lawn thats in need of something else,maybe its time to get a soil sample.