PDA

View Full Version : Question for Eric the striped lawnman

llurgy
06-17-2002, 01:41 AM
Hi Eric,

I have just been looking at pictures of lawns on your website.

You are probably going to think I am totally stupid but I dont care and I am going to ask anyway.

How do you get your stripes to carry on when trees get in the way?.....
You do such a good job of this that it looks like you remove the tree for mowing and then plant it again when you have finished!!!

I just have to know...lol....:D

llurgy

mowerconsultant
06-17-2002, 02:10 AM
EricElm passed away a few months ago.
He's striping them in heaven now.
RIP

:(

robert payer
06-17-2002, 08:46 AM
When striping work your way around the uncut side of trees. Then continue to stripe beyond the tree. This will create the illusion that you had mowed in the path of the tree. Eric would be pleased with your eager desire to make your lawn look its best.

Llurgy please visit us again with any future for any clarification.

Good luck to you with the yard at home and enjoy the Summer months!

65hoss
06-21-2002, 09:53 AM
Good to see it carries on. :)

Rooster
06-21-2002, 09:16 PM
llurgy,

Try this link to Eric's site. It gives the instructions from Eric himself on how to stripe.

http://www.elmlawnsite.com/striping_information.htm

Good Luck!

Rick

llurgy
06-25-2002, 01:30 PM
Thanks for all who replied.....Sorry I didnt get back before now been busy with outside maintenance.

Sorry, I did not realise that I was asking a question of someone now in heaven.....God now has a good lawn person to tend his gardens :)

I will try and see what I can do with the stripes....LOL....We have just bought a Gravely PM260z, and I am having trouble staying in a straight line, never mind making stripes!!
Grass is being cut in 2 hours versus the 5/6 hours it used to take but a professional lokking cut??....NOT...LOL!!!
I keep making steps on the slopes, maybe I should be going up and down, not across??
my first row of the day looks like I am drunk!!
Keep losing the mower on a certain bit of slope too...Must try cutting that bit a different way maybe :)

All in all though, it is FUN!!! I actually enjoy cutting the grass now instead of dreading it, I dont make any special effort to cut the 3 acres in 2 hours, it just seems to happen that fast, the effort is minimal and fun.
My husband doesnt cut the grass I do, he goes on the mower though, he thinks it is a thing that takes him and my 6 year old for rides around our yard!!!

All tips on cutting with Zero turns are gratefully received.

llurgy

dwost
06-25-2002, 04:44 PM
Hello neighbor?? Just curious where in Ohio you're from? I'm in Huron, on Lake Erie and just purchased a Gravely WB this summer. Great machine.

llurgy
06-25-2002, 05:57 PM
About 70 miles east of Columbus or about 70miles West of Wheeling West Virginia....Which ever way you look at it, just a straight line across from those points...Or....Where the I77 intersects the I70.

It actually hasn't rained for a week here........Got my troubleshooting mower and the weather looks up, just my luck I WANT to cut the grass now, but it ain't growin' fast enough :)

llurgy

Ssouth
06-25-2002, 11:47 PM
For steep slopes, only go up them until you feel very!!!!!!!!comfortable with your mower. ZTR mowers are quite fun to operate, just remember to use common sense and learn in a gradual curve. It will all come with a little time in the seat. As for mowing straight; pick an object in the general area you want to go to and stare at it ( assuming no obstacles and smooth terrain) then steer your equipment towards the object and keep it centered in your view. Hope these tips help.

llurgy
06-26-2002, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the tips :)

I find that my greatest problems at the moment are starting the cutting. We have a yard just about the same size and shape as a football field at the back of our house....I generally go around the edge of it twice to set myself up for the back and forth along it. Problem is trying to keep a straight line with the steering whilst trying to keep into the edge...lol...I just seem to go wiggley woggely all the way around....fine when I am following what I already cut but the first bit???.....Rubbish :)

I am cutting just a few gentle slopes along wise at the moment....our big slope gives me trouble if I dont get the slight upward drive of the mower and then I loose it....So I am going up and down that one until I get a bit more experience. The slopes that I am cutting across I can do really safely, I dont even start to lose it, but I am getting steps in the cut from where the deck goes lower on the down side of the mower....would I be better cutting up and down this too or am I just doing it wrong??

Me thinks I am going to have to plan out a whole new way with the order I cut my grass.....going along in some places doesnt give as smooth a result as going up and down :)

I do like it though, you are right it is such fun, I used to be ready to fall into bed after mowing so long with my AYP......Now I dont feel as if I have done any mowing at all....Plus if I get bored going up and down our football field I start messing and doing silly things like writing my name and asinine things like that...lol. :)

I just wish my grass would hurry up and grow so that I can practice.

LLurgy

Ricky
07-01-2002, 09:35 PM
If your deck is cutting too low in the downhill side of the mower while going across the hill or slope, increase the air pressure in the tires. :)