PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on upcoming job.

NEWFINISH
03-15-2010, 11:15 AM
To start off, this isn't a thread about how much to charge. This is a job that I have coming up and I wanted to get opinions on the most efficient way of completing it. A relative is giving me a chance on their yard to get more experience and help me build my portfolio. She is supporting me, because I started school for design and horticulture. There is 2463 sqft of mulch beds where the mulch needs to be removed, the beds weeded and new mulch put down. I am going to put down about 2" of mulch(Should be about 15 yards). There is 590sqft of lava rock beds where the rocks need to be removed, the beds weeded and put the old rocks back down and add new rocks to it. There is flagstone (I believe) surrounding some of the beds that they possibly want glued so they don't get kicked over, they also want new edging. They have the black plastic edging down now. And lastly they have about 25 landscape lights and about 10-15 need to be replaced. I am estimating that this job would take me two to two and a half days with two people helping me(15-20hours). I planned on:

1) Renting a dump trailer.
2) Remove old edging and mulch and load in the trailer
3) Pull all of the lava rocks out of the beds and lay them on tarps.
4) Pull the weeds out of the beds and put down Preen or Roundup
5) Set the stone borders back up and glue them back together.
6) Put old lava rocks back in beds along with new ones.
7) Replace and/or repair landscape lights and hide the wiring. (Their dog has dug it all up.)
8) Dump old mulch and edging.
9) Go pick up new mulch.
10) Lay down new mulch and edging.
11) Prune some of their shrubs and small trees.

Give me some feedback on some things that I may need to add or not do, to make this efficient.Thanks

NEWFINISH
03-15-2010, 11:31 AM
Here are some more pics:

gunsnroses
03-15-2010, 11:39 AM
I would change it up a bit

price dumpster not trailer...have mulch delivered
if you use metal edging ...use the rolled top, to prevent gash wounds on dogs or people
3. throw rock in trash replace w/ inch and 1/2 river rock
5. drystack only....take your time and do it perfect....dont use best rocks too fast
4. use poly weed fabric or put pre-em last

lukemelo216
03-15-2010, 01:11 PM
have fun with the lava rock. pulling that stuff out sucks i had a job with it before, id say about 2k worth. hated it. took us two days just to pull the rock out becasue they had it about 2inch deep, wiring under it (not buried like it should be) and there were various sizes. paid good but it sucked.

NEWFINISH
03-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Gunsnroses, thanks for the input. I was leaning more towards a dump trailer because I know if I get the mulch deliverd they are going to drop it in the drive. I can't do that here. Iam assuming you mean spray the preemergent on top of the rock and mulch last. Is that what you mean, if so, why?

Lukemelo, what method did you use to pull up all of the lava rock?

gunsnroses
03-15-2010, 09:47 PM
I like granular pre-em, It will fall between your mulch medium to the soil. The reason to do it last is because you are only treating the surface...so if you disturb the soil in any way, you will not get control in the disturbed areas. You want it on top, not mixed in. But if you still use the lava (dont do it) you may apply it after the preem because you would lose some in all those holes. Can you mix the lava in the soil? it would actully be good in the soil profile, or perhaps use it for a drainage project on site...or a shrine for pele?. pickax would be my choice for the lava.

lukemelo216
03-16-2010, 12:49 AM
I would try to get like an MT50 or something in there, or a dumpster that you can walk into and dump. We just raked it out and scooped it. Thats really the only way you can do it. good luck but a machine of some sorts would help or like i said a big walk in dumpster

NEWFINISH
03-16-2010, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Mixing the lava in the soil is something I have to consider now, never thought to do that. I have to figure out if Im going to use the dumpster or not. I will try to post pics once I determine what methods I will use. Thanks again.

MarkintheGarden
03-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Why remove old mulch? Can you shovel it back from the edges, rake it smooth and cover with the new mulch? Old mulch does not look as good as new mulch but it is good for the soil.

I agree with the person who suggested river rock instead of lava rock. In fact I would suggest that anything (even gravel) is better than lava rock.

Assuredlandscape
03-20-2010, 01:13 PM
Do not remove the old mulch you will just add time that you can avoid. Rake back the edges smooth it out and lay the new mulch over it. that will also help with the weed control. River rock would look great. Dumpster would work best and as far as them dumping the mulch in the drive have it dumped in the road and set up cones around the pile.

grassman177
03-20-2010, 01:21 PM
make sure you are licensed to apply chemicals to use the suggested roundup or preen. i assume you dont have it, so you cant legally use those products.

Southern Elegance
03-20-2010, 10:17 PM
your time frame is way off
dont use edging along sidewalks, dig trenches next to sidewalk for stone or mulch to lay into without washing onto sidewalk.
dont use lava rock. lava rock retains alot of heat and can damage plants
a proper dry stack doesnt really need to be glued, but if you do glue them be sure to use a stone\ block adhesive
no need to remove old mulch, it will decompose back into soil, unless is from scrape pallets, then it is best to take some out

NEWFINISH
03-25-2010, 12:00 AM
Haven't been on here in a couple days. So I got to catch up. The homeowner is not real willing to change the lava rock to river rock. She don't really care for it so I just been stuck on the lava rock so far. Im going to go to local supply yards to see what other options are out there that she would like. Its a real coincidence that you guys are talking about the non removal of the mulch. I work for a larger company and learned this method at my job. We used a powerbroom to push the mulch back and came through with a bed redfiner to get that edge and now new mulch is going to get laid. I have been noticing a lot that the best looking landscapes have aluminum or steel edging or no edging at all. I been thinking about telling the homeowner not to put no edging. But just off gaining expereince where I work and posting this thread Im realizing where I missed my marks and how I can improve in my efficiency.
I'll keep updating.