PDA

View Full Version : What kind of sprinklers do you all use?

HazellLawnCare
06-17-2002, 05:22 PM
I'm looking at putting a sprinkler in my own lawn. I have been looking at Rain Bird and Hunter products which do you recommend and which models?

rvsuper
06-17-2002, 05:28 PM
I generally install Hunter PGP's, or Rainbird 5000's, ALWAYS Hunter HPV Valves, and Rainbird ESP Controllers, And Rainbird 1800 Spray with VAN series nozzles, even though some people don't like them on here.

rvsuper
06-17-2002, 05:31 PM
Check with your local contractors to see what they are putting in too.

DanaMac
06-17-2002, 07:41 PM
Hunetr PGP rotors, Hunter PGV valves, Hunter Pro -C timer, I like the Rainbird ESP timer the best but it can be spendy, RB 1804 or Hunter Pro series spray heads, RB nozzles

greasemonkey
06-17-2002, 09:02 PM
If it were my yard.....

Hunter I-20 rotary, Irritrol 205 valves, Hunter Pro-C timer or ICC timer, I'm not real picky about the 4" pop-up, toro, hit rainbird or the good hunter pop-up will do...for nozzles rainbird van's only where neccesary...fixed patern where you can use them....definately not a hunter nozzle. Same goes for the 6" and 12" in the garden beds...whether you use rainbird / hunter style, or toro style popups and nozzles really depends on what part of the coutnry you're in....

-J

HBFOXJr
06-18-2002, 07:18 AM
Hunter I-20 rotors, Hunter Pro or preferably Institutional sprays, Hunter HPV or RB 100dv valves, Hunter Pro-C or ICC controllers with remote, miniclik rain switch, RB spray nozzles

Anything Toro makes is a step backwards. Their spray nozzles alwasy get more grass growing in them in the off season. RB VAN's are also more dirt tempermental. We use standard halfs, fulls and strips and vans for 1/4, 3/4 and other parts of circles. We tend to uase more 1/2 and full nozzzles than any thing else.

The irritrol 205 valve has been around forever. They give excellent service. Haven't seen one lately but I quit on them because if dissasembled if a guy wasn't careful you could get dirt in the screw holes or mis align the bonnet and diaphram easily and put it together messed up. They have/had 8 screws rather than 4 or 6 like most other makes.

greasemonkey
06-18-2002, 11:02 PM
I was once fixing a cracked valve manifold and had taken all the valves out of the pit. they were the 205's predecesor, the green richdell / hardie 204...they were date stamped "Aug 1981" and were working perfectly when I put the manifold back together....I learned my lesson one time about mis-aligning the bonent, I had it "clocked" one screw hole and had tightened down the bonnet.....it ruined that little piece that passes through the diapragm going up to the solenoid...had to replace the whole valve..I was always careful after that.....they stand up well to high pressure, and they don't leak the way the 2400's do... I would use them at my house....

-J

James234
06-21-2002, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by DanaMac
Hunetr PGP rotors, Hunter PGV valves, Hunter Pro -C timer, I like the Rainbird ESP timer the best but it can be spendy, RB 1804 or Hunter Pro series spray heads, RB nozzles

Except for the expense, I don't think you can beat the Rainbird TDR-2/R-50 rotors and the T-Bird Series. The 1800 pop-ups are good also. As you all know, most sprinkler system problems result from poor installment and cheap heads. Hunter makes excellent rotors but I would never use them because they are way over priced and they under perform compared to the Rainbirds.

HBFOXJr
06-21-2002, 07:13 AM
Obviously you have never worked with the older problem R-50's and T-Birds and spent countless hours working for free to replace them under warranty. RainBird didn't reimburse those of us that suffered those losses and didn't even really want to really talk about too much. After writing to my regional rep, then national rep and finally to the president after getting no response from the 2 prior reps I cut my RB purchases. It took weeks to get a response after I wrote the president and then he didn';t really respond. He had the national rep respond that I had writen to prior and not recieved a response from.

Despite having good products, RB is not the type of company I want to do a lot of business with.

On the other hand, in 2001 we experienced a very unusual electrical anomaly with a Hunter controller gone bad. I reported it to Hunter explaining the problem in detail, the circumstances under which it occured and my guess about the problem. Within days they acknowledged that they had duplicated the problem in the lab and had taken steps to correct the problem. My kind of company.

Chuck Sinclair
06-21-2002, 09:02 AM
Hunter all the way, they stand behind their product 100%

DanaMac
06-21-2002, 12:50 PM
R-50 and T-Bird? Those are a joke. Yes, I replaced thousands of them also. I was at a home today that had 3 T-Birds gone bad. Replaced with PGPs. I'll admit the new RB 5004 rotors are nice, but I'm still afraid of using them. How much are you saying the PGPs cost to be expensive? Are you getting a good price from your dealer. Because I can get the PGPs cheaper than the RB rotors.

And if you install a system properly, head to head coverage, then the Hunters will perform just fine. They don't put water down directly if front as well as the RBs but if you install CORRECTLY, there will be no problem.

Planter
06-21-2002, 01:17 PM
definately not a hunter nozzle....

I would prefer a rainbird nozzle, but the Hunter's are 25 cents cheaper. What's wrong with the Hunters?

Kevin

DanaMac
06-21-2002, 03:39 PM
I have found the Hunter spray nozzles to be junk also. They put out a lousy spray pattern and they get clooged easily with dirt since they are only adjustable, not a fixed spray pattern. Same goes for the RB VAN nozzles. A little dirt makes them spray bad. The Hunters are difficult to adjust with wet fingers.

James234
06-21-2002, 08:18 PM
Hi HBFOXJr! I had a very different experience with RainBird. In most of my installations we have little soil, just sand. Closed case rotors are a must. The early TDR's had a green case and a green top. We had installed over 4,000 of these units and didn't have a problem during the first 2 years. However, then we began to notice that sand was making its way into the cases thru the top where the main unit screws into the case. As a result, it became impossible to unscrew the "guts" from the case. I had many of those units in a vice and I couldn't even get them open with a large pipe wrench! These units were made in the USA. I notified RainBird of the problem and they advised me that they were aware of the problem and that the TDR had been redesigned and was now called the R-50 (i.e. TDR-2/R-50). These units are all black in color and are made in Mexico. RainBird agreed to replace all of the old TDR's with the new R-50's free of charge and they gave me an extra 100 units for free. It was one of those offers I couldn't refuse. So you're absolutely correct. The old TDR's were flawed. I still have 739 of them still in service.

I currently have over 12,000 R-50's currently in service and have never had a failure.

Also, on a side note, when I first started using these rotors I lost a bunch of them to theft. Thieves were unscrewing them from the ground! I reported the problem to RainBird and they provided me with rotors that had stainless steel Allen screws to secure the rotors to the case and the pipe. Haven't had one stolen since.

However, if I had the same poor experience with RainBird as you, I think I would feel the same as you and I would do my business elsewhere too.

HBFOXJr
06-22-2002, 09:57 AM
In the early R-50s there was a seal problem where the internals threaded on the case. A retro kit was later provided for free andwell as the seal design subsequebtly changed. We have many still working.

The drive mechanism on the ball drive of the R-50 was a proven idea from other old rotors. In the 70's we used some ball drives from Safe-T-Lawn that had a 10 year warranty on the drive. Ball drives are pretty tough but they don't adjust as easly as ger drives do for PC arcs.

The T-Birds had a spring problem that failed and they wouldn't reverse rotation. RB fixed that.

I went from plastic and brass impacts and ball drives to Toro S600, early Hunter PGP to RB R50 to T-Bird then improved PGP to I-20. The I-20 has been excellent. The bad R-50s and T-Birds left a sour taste in my mouth since they came back to back. The problems occured with MY choices/recommendations to my clients and the subsequent problems they had because of my choice. The RB stuff tarneished my reputation. I give a 2yr waranty on new installs. Even though I lived up to the warranty, the client was PO'd because he had problems.

Even getting a free head as compensation wasn't enough. Big deal, they gave me less than $10 for something that was worth seeral times that if the repair had been a chargeable visit. So not only was there skepticism about my work but the problems kept me from other billable work.