PDA

View Full Version : Laser level..what features should i look for?

xtreem3d
03-15-2010, 04:59 PM
wanting to try the use of a laser instead of string line's to see what works best for me ..what should i look for?
steve

LB1234
03-15-2010, 05:56 PM
self leveling is a must. grade feature is really nice. dual grade is even nicer. being able to set the grade is even better than that.

xtreem3d
03-15-2010, 06:40 PM
LB...
can you explain a little about the benfits of each feature? what they'll do for me laying pavers or building walls? or even doing home construction projects?
TIA
steve

xtreem3d
03-15-2010, 07:16 PM
PS what about remote feature?

Bru75
03-16-2010, 01:16 AM
Self leveling means that the laser will level itself if your tripod is reasonably close to level.
The grade function allows you to set the laser up on the slope you want, so you don't have to figure out how much fall you should have at any given point.
Dual grade allows you to set the slope on two axis.
This type of laser (rotary) doesn't need a remote, you just turn it on and it projects a plane in all directions and you use a reciever mounted on a survey rod to find the plane. The kind I started out with (visible dot) used a remote to turn the laser to move the dot (pain in the arse), and had no grade option. Rotary is much better, but costs more.
Look for one with a function that turns the laser off if it gets bumped.
Hope that made sense.

xtreem3d
03-16-2010, 07:15 AM
yeah..that was great. any specific model # or mfgr? i'd like something nice,
steve

killerbee133
03-17-2010, 05:28 AM
I would recommend Robo Toolz if your looking for a good laser. It's a little over a grand but it's really worth the money.

Bru75
03-18-2010, 07:02 PM
yeah..that was great. any specific model # or mfgr? i'd like something nice,
steve

I have a lasermark LMH GR by CST/Berger. It has a single axis grade function and is accurate to +/- 1/8" at 100'.
I think it cost a little over $800 a few years ago, and has always worked perfectly.