PDA

View Full Version : early spring dethatching with snow mold

tim99carla
03-15-2010, 09:33 PM
I have 2 customers that are chomping at the bit to have their lawns dethatched asap. They both have snow(very, very bad), the worst that I have ever seen. They want their lawns dethatched to get rid of the snow mold, but the experience that I have with dethatching tells me I should wait until late April. They do not want to wait that long in fear of loosing their lawns. Can anyone give me advice. Also which style of dethatching works best for snow mold. I have both the power rake and the knife cutting dethatchers. I live in Northern Indiana.

RigglePLC
03-15-2010, 10:16 PM
No experience in this, but perennial ryegrass is quite susceptible.
Overseed with "Delray" perennial rye, according to U of Illinois it is moderately resistant.
http://ipm.illinois.edu/diseases/series400/rpd404/index.html

Runner
03-15-2010, 10:23 PM
Actually, a good raking is really all it needs for this purpose. Something to lift the grass up and allow air circulation for the turf to breathe - while combing out some of the dead stuff as a bonus. Do you run mowers? If so, I recommend looking into the JRCO rake. There really isn't any other piece of equipment that is better or more suitable for doing this.

TennisBum
03-15-2010, 10:26 PM
No experience with snow mold, but, I think if you de-thatch without first killing the fungus, it will be spread all over the lawn. I know managing thatch is a good practice against snow mold, but I think it's more of a preventative measure. If it were me, I'd recommend a fungicide application first - possibly more than one.

grass4gas
03-15-2010, 11:20 PM
Spraying a fungicide now is a waste of time and money as it will not do any good. The disease has run it's course. Power rake lightly. If you see any green shoots popping through, you should be good to go.

This was a bad year for snow mold. Your best defense is to apply a preventative fungicide in the late fall, prior to snow fall, and only if this is a recurring issue. Otherwise, I would just deal with it in the spring if need be, like we all are now.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-16-2010, 01:27 AM
Spraying a fungicide now is a waste of time and money as it will not do any good. The disease has run it's course. Power rake lightly. If you see any green shoots popping through, you should be good to go.

This was a bad year for snow mold. Your best defense is to apply a preventative fungicide in the late fall, prior to snow fall, and only if this is a recurring issue. Otherwise, I would just deal with it in the spring if need be, like we all are now.

Yes very bad year for grey snow mold. Same here in So. MN. I just raked out 1/3 of my own yard to help the grass 'breathe'.