PDA

View Full Version : My Walker is using an excessive amount of oil, Why?

DgBrd
06-17-2002, 09:40 PM
Hi,

I purchased a 97 Walker Model T mower the 6th of May with only 323 hours on it. Since that time I have put 25 hours on it. After approximately 12 to 15 hours I had to add 10 oz. of oil and when I checked it again yesterday it was on the low line again. It runs great and doesn't smoke. I talked to the dealer 2 or 3 days ago and he told me he didn't know what could be causing this but he would do some checking around and let me know if he found anything out, so I'm presently waiting on a call from him. I love the mower, it does a great job on my lawn and I like the way it works but if I have to keep dumping oil in it at the present rate thats going to be a little dissapointing.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? I considered 323 hours to be low hours, certaintly not enough to be using oil.

All replies are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug

Brickman
06-18-2002, 09:40 AM
Hour meters are notorious for not working right. It could have a lot more hours than it says. My first Walker was used as a rental. When I had a tune up the mechanic told me the unit had WAY more hours than the meter said. By the hour meter it should have been a great mower, but the problems it had should a lot more use.
I have over 1000 hours on my current Walker, currently am around 67 hours on this last change and still haven't added any oil. It is time to change it.

DgBrd
06-18-2002, 09:24 PM
asked me if I was pushing the dipstick all the way in when I replaced it and he also asked if there was any oil leaking around the cooling fins. To which I replied yes to the first question and no to the second. He told me that there was a crank case filter "I beleive thats what he called it" that could be bad and causing it to use oil. He said he had to get a tester and then he would pick it up and test it out. He told me that if it wasn't any of the things he mentioned it had to be an internal problem, which would probably be the rings.

Hopefully it's the crank case filter and not the rings.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Doug

DgBrd
07-04-2002, 09:06 PM
Come to find out the problem was a leaky head gasket. The dealer has it now and is waiting for a new head gasket. This seems to be quite a problem with the Kohler Command 25 horse engines from what I've read, I hope I don't have anymore trouble with it.

Doug