PDA

View Full Version : Updates to the new truck

deere615
03-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Well spring is almost here and I decided to do some things to my truck I bought back in November. I did/added a couple different things to it. I brought a new tailgate(other one worked/looked fine but it was bowed just a bit and I wanted to get it lettered so I wanted a nice one)
took off the chevrolet
spray bedlinered the part that will show after a put the plastic bedliner piece on
new backup lights-gate

deere615
03-15-2010, 09:29 PM
I also put "chip gaurd" down the sides-I used herculiner bedliner and rolled it on after sanding the paint off. I also did the back side of the bed, like behind the wheels to prevent rusting.
bought this to help its a nice sander
sanded
taped off

deere615
03-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Bedlinered

deere615
03-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Then I added cab lights
drilling holes:dizzy:

I will get pictures up of the lettering and mirrors tomorrow

Kennedy Landscaping
03-15-2010, 09:51 PM
Looks awesome. Can't wait to see more haha

Jpeg lawn maintenance
03-15-2010, 09:57 PM
Truck looks good brad nice job with taping it off gotta make sure its straight or looks funny and cab lights look nice to. They look great on 2500 but 1500 look funny with them. Nice work.

deere615
03-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Looks awesome. Can't wait to see more haha
Thanks, its funny because before I did cab lights the truck was jus white/black all I needed was a clear lens on the whelen and it looked like an undercover cop truck or something lmao
Truck looks good brad nice job with taping it off gotta make sure its straight or looks funny and cab lights look nice to. They look great on 2500 but 1500 look funny with them. Nice work.

Thanks yeah they do.

MikeKle
03-15-2010, 10:09 PM
What made you want to put that rubbery bed coating on the underside of the truck? That may effect the re-sale if you ever plan to sell it? But it looks really good, two tone black and white like that! I agree, those cab lights do look goofy on 1500s, many guys put them on their S-10s and ford rangers around here though, talk about looking goofy!

Junior M
03-15-2010, 10:27 PM
Can you give me some details on the herculiner? Was it hard to do? How much did it cost? How long did it take?

I am looking to do it on my DD.

THEGOLDPRO
03-15-2010, 10:53 PM
im also interested in the bedliner stuff, please do a write up.

THEGOLDPRO
03-15-2010, 10:56 PM
also please get pics of the coating in the day time.

Lawn Enforcer
03-15-2010, 11:51 PM
Looks very good! You take a lot of pride in your equipment!

DoetschOutdoor
03-16-2010, 12:12 AM
Looks very nice there deere! Totally changed that plain jane truck and I bet that didnt cost ya too much...
I had a really good write up of doing the roll on bedliner over on another forum but it got closed and cant find the posts now. Stuff is pretty easy to do and you can get them lines pretty straight yourself if you have half of a steady hand. I had it on my zr2 that I just sold because the mud tires would throw so much rocks and debris up on the paint. You definately improved what it woulda looked like with a bunch of chips and that doesnt affect the resale value much since soo many people are interested in doin that themselves. Makes me want the cab lights for my new dodge even more!!!!

Z-master man
03-16-2010, 07:02 AM
I might be imaginaing things but at one point weren't you cosidering a dump insert for that truck? Looks Good!

RLS24
03-16-2010, 01:32 PM
thats awesome! the previous owner of my truck did the same thing, and you can tell it has really helped, for a 16 year old chevy in the road salt capitol of the country, its in REAL good shape. The only thing they did that pisses me off is they did the fender flairs which are now peeling and they look like crap. oh well. cab lights look good too!

deere615
03-16-2010, 08:48 PM
What made you want to put that rubbery bed coating on the underside of the truck? That may effect the re-sale if you ever plan to sell it? But it looks really good, two tone black and white like that! I agree, those cab lights do look goofy on 1500s, many guys put them on their S-10s and ford rangers around here though, talk about looking goofy!
I have seen it done on other trucks liked it, and it offers protrection from rust/chipping. Also I like the look of it-trying to make my trucks stand out more than others is the idea. I plan on keeping the truck for a while so I will be good
Can you give me some details on the herculiner? Was it hard to do? How much did it cost? How long did it take?

I am looking to do it on my DD.
im also interested in the bedliner stuff, please do a write up.
Details for you guys and anyone else-I used herculiner bed liner in a 1gal can and rolled it on. Stuff is about $90 for the kit but only used half a can and I did a pretty big area so if yours is smaller you might be good with a quart or 2
Used the air sander and sanded all the paint to scuff it up some-cleaned up all the dust, taped it all off nice then just rolled away. After that I rolled the insides of the bed-areas I couldnt get to I used spray bedliner. Took the tape off, cleaned up any edges and let it dry overnight.
If you have any other questions ask away.
also please get pics of the coating in the day time.
I have some nice pictures outside with the lettering on also, I will get them up here in a bit
Looks very good! You take a lot of pride in your equipment!
Thanks, I try to, I just get so mad when I put a dent of scratch in something!
Looks very nice there deere! Totally changed that plain jane truck and I bet that didnt cost ya too much...
I had a really good write up of doing the roll on bedliner over on another forum but it got closed and cant find the posts now. Stuff is pretty easy to do and you can get them lines pretty straight yourself if you have half of a steady hand. I had it on my zr2 that I just sold because the mud tires would throw so much rocks and debris up on the paint. You definately improved what it woulda looked like with a bunch of chips and that doesnt affect the resale value much since soo many people are interested in doin that themselves. Makes me want the cab lights for my new dodge even more!!!!
Thanks! That was the plan to make it stand out from the crowd. Yes it was pretty easy. Cab lights were not to bad I had directions off the net of exactly how to do them plus I had the factory wiring harness
I might be imaginaing things but at one point weren't you cosidering a dump insert for that truck? Looks Good!
Still am, I got my dump trailer for mulch and stuff for now, but if I get a new place to dump stuff like grass leaves brush etc I will be looking into them more
thats awesome! the previous owner of my truck did the same thing, and you can tell it has really helped, for a 16 year old chevy in the road salt capitol of the country, its in REAL good shape. The only thing they did that pisses me off is they did the fender flairs which are now peeling and they look like crap. oh well. cab lights look good too!
Thanks, Yeah I chose not to do the fender flares I rather just shine them up with some armor all

deere615
03-16-2010, 09:50 PM
Lettering-plus you can see the bedliner stuff a bit better

deere615
03-16-2010, 09:56 PM
And finally put tow mirrors on

Topilandscaping
03-16-2010, 10:04 PM
looks sharp, we have the same truck but blue. i was thinking of putting the tow mirrors on. Also i but herculiner on my trailer and it holds up awesome. Not sure if thats what you used it looks similar.

THEGOLDPRO
03-16-2010, 10:33 PM
cant from the pics, but how would you say the coverage in the bedliner stuff is? is it nice and uniformed looking, or is it blotchey, and can you see roll marks?

deere615
03-16-2010, 11:03 PM
looks sharp, we have the same truck but blue. i was thinking of putting the tow mirrors on. Also i but herculiner on my trailer and it holds up awesome. Not sure if thats what you used it looks similar.
yep thats what I used seems like pretty tough stuff.
cant from the pics, but how would you say the coverage in the bedliner stuff is? is it nice and uniformed looking, or is it blotchey, and can you see roll marks?

There is absolutely no roller/brush marks its a little bit hard to get the little chunks of rubber perfectly even but then again they are not supposed to be. I will try and get a close up for ya tomorrow

THEGOLDPRO
03-16-2010, 11:07 PM
your the man! i have been wanting to do this to my truck for a LONG time but just never had the balls to try it.

THEGOLDPRO
03-16-2010, 11:07 PM
also where did you buy the kit?

rcslawncare
03-17-2010, 12:37 AM
How much you have to give for the new style mirrors, I want to add those also. And were the holes marked for your cab light. Im about to order some this month!!

Jpeg lawn maintenance
03-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Truck looks really good bud the tow mirrors make it stand out and the lettering looks real good to.

deere615
03-17-2010, 08:02 PM
also where did you buy the kit?
Advanced auto but most auto stores have them. It comes with a gallon of stuff 2 rollers a brush and a scuff pad(I used an air sander)
How much you have to give for the new style mirrors, I want to add those also. And were the holes marked for your cab light. Im about to order some this month!!
I paid like $212 for the pair off the net brand new but these are manual ones
Truck looks really good bud the tow mirrors make it stand out and the lettering looks real good to.

Thanks

Topilandscaping
03-17-2010, 08:16 PM
yeah man the truck does look awesome. Did you use the Xylethol or whatever its called to prep it first?

deere615
03-17-2010, 08:18 PM
your the man! i have been wanting to do this to my truck for a LONG time but just never had the balls to try it.

Its really not that bad. I put to coats on but it goes on nice and thick. Heres 2 pictures for you
This one you can see where it is messed up a bit-there is less chinks of rubber in one area. That was the worst spot but it really doesnt look bad at all in person. Biggest thing is to just keep the can mixed cause the little chunks of rubber will want to settle to the bottom

deere615
03-17-2010, 08:19 PM
yeah man the truck does look awesome. Did you use the Xylethol or whatever its called to prep it first?

Yep thats the stuff I think its called they tell you to use. After sanding and wiping off dust I just gave it a quick wipe with a little bit of that stuff

Topilandscaping
03-17-2010, 08:38 PM
yeah it really looks good on the truck. im gonna get some more and do my bed soon

93Chevy
03-17-2010, 08:51 PM
Holy crap Brad. That looks great. I'll be working on cleaning my truck up like that next year, but I wanted to do the trailer first. You do good work on vehicles. You should be real proud of that.

deere615
03-17-2010, 09:10 PM
yeah it really looks good on the truck. im gonna get some more and do my bed soon
Thanks, yeah I like it
Holy crap Brad. That looks great. I'll be working on cleaning my truck up like that next year, but I wanted to do the trailer first. You do good work on vehicles. You should be real proud of that.
Thanks Tim! Yeah I try to but they just end up getting dented and sratched so easily:cry:. Doing all this is what happens when I dont have a ton of work right now... I have spent way to much this month already!

93Chevy
03-17-2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks Tim! Yeah I try to but they just end up getting dented and sratched so easily:cry:. Doing all this is what happens when I dont have a ton of work right now... I have spent way to much this month already!

I heard that man...I'm just living one day to the next waiting for work that's not coming fast enough!

STIHL GUY
03-17-2010, 10:30 PM
your truck looks really good with that stuff on it

South Florida Lawns
03-18-2010, 02:31 AM
The bedliner on the side of your truck looks crooked.................jk

deere615
03-18-2010, 07:51 PM
your truck looks really good with that stuff on it
Thanks
The bedliner on the side of your truck looks crooked.................jk

you must of been having one of these after work:drinkup: lol Its not perfect But it turned out straighter than I thought it would, the straight line all the way done was real clean when I took the tape off but a few other places needed a bit of cleaning up.

One thing I didnt mention before that I did was take the tape off right after you are done painting it on this way its easy to clean and mess up

A.Landscaping
03-20-2010, 06:46 PM
The truck looks real good! :drinkup:
Posted via Mobile Device

GravelyGuy
03-20-2010, 07:58 PM
I hope that Herculiner holds up better on your truck than my trailer floor. It's better than paint, but it looses its shine quickly and it's starting to come up in small spots. It's a lot softer than the professional spray in stuff.

How hard were those cab lights to wire/install?

deere615
03-20-2010, 11:59 PM
The truck looks real good! :drinkup:
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks!
I hope that Herculiner holds up better on your truck than my trailer floor. It's better than paint, but it looses its shine quickly and it's starting to come up in small spots. It's a lot softer than the professional spray in stuff.

How hard were those cab lights to wire/install?

This stuff seems real strong but I got a half of can if it every needs touched up, I think it will hold up good because its not seeing the beating like a bed or floor would

Lights are easy like I said before i had the wire harness and jsut had to drill the holes runs wires maybe 3 hours or so

plowmaster07
03-26-2010, 09:07 PM
It looks awesome the way you did it! I've been tempted to do the rubber coating to the rocker panels after I send it to the body shop. I also completely understand what your saying about getting angry when you put a dent or a scratch in something. I get the same way, it's my time and money, and it's my personal truck too to keep looking nice. Keep up the good work!

deere615
03-26-2010, 09:41 PM
It looks awesome the way you did it! I've been tempted to do the rubber coating to the rocker panels after I send it to the body shop. I also completely understand what your saying about getting angry when you put a dent or a scratch in something. I get the same way, it's my time and money, and it's my personal truck too to keep looking nice. Keep up the good work!

yeah I was really like that when I only had my blue truck whch is now all dented/scratched up it sucks:cry: I am still like that though with both trucks I try my best but it seems like those scratches and little dents are just unavoidable

plowmaster07
03-26-2010, 10:15 PM
yeah I was really like that when I only had my blue truck whch is now all dented/scratched up it sucks:cry: I am still like that though with both trucks I try my best but it seems like those scratches and little dents are just unavoidable

Yeah they do seem to just happen. But it's a work truck. So send it out once a year to get the paint touched up on it. (It's not an excuse to beat on your truck, but it helps). Mines going in this fall for all the rust repair. And probably a new color paint. :)