PDA

View Full Version : Too early to seed? Zone 6

Darryl G
03-16-2010, 10:13 AM
I have a customer pushing for me to do a lawn renovation ASAP...fill in some ruts from old stumps and some overall clumpy and generally thin turf that was damaged a couple of years ago from failure to do a fall cleanup. I've been doing snow removal for this customer for several years and did their fall cleanup last season too. Now they want to turn all their lawn care over to me.

I usually don't do seeding until the first or second week of April around here, but things have started to warm up and dry out. However, I'm concerned that if I seed now, it won't germinate for a while and I'll get some erosion issues. I'd probably be using the Lesco Park and Athletic mix...rye/fesque/blue mix. I overseed several lawns with it last year and had good results. Or is there a different mix I should consider for seeding this early? My gut tells me to hold off for a couple weeks, but I really could use the income too...it seems everyone else got "my" snow this winter, and the customer wants it done.

Thanks in advance.

bigslick7878
03-17-2010, 12:24 AM
I have a customer pushing for me to do a lawn renovation ASAP...fill in some ruts from old stumps and some overall clumpy and generally thin turf that was damaged a couple of years ago from failure to do a fall cleanup. I've been doing snow removal for this customer for several years and did their fall cleanup last season too. Now they want to turn all their lawn care over to me.

I usually don't do seeding until the first or second week of April around here, but things have started to warm up and dry out. However, I'm concerned that if I seed now, it won't germinate for a while and I'll get some erosion issues. I'd probably be using the Lesco Park and Athletic mix...rye/fesque/blue mix. I overseed several lawns with it last year and had good results. Or is there a different mix I should consider for seeding this early? My gut tells me to hold off for a couple weeks, but I really could use the income too...it seems everyone else got "my" snow this winter, and the customer wants it done.

Thanks in advance.

What makes you think you will have erosion issues?

Seed it and roll it, and it will be fine unless it is on a big slope and you get a few inches of rain that washes it out.

If it is fairly level you don't have anything to worry about.

Darryl G
03-17-2010, 12:49 AM
Well, as far as the erosion issues, yes I do have one steep slopes to work but in general I just don't want it sitting without a chance to germinate...the longer and slower the germination the longer, it has to get washed out. I've had pretty level areas where heavy rains have caused problems with the seed floating out and migrating. A few inches of rain is what I'm worried about really...just had 5 the other day..it's the time of year for that her in the northeast. I don't know, I just don't usually plant this early but I have planted up to the second week of October and had it work out fine.