PDA

View Full Version : Reseeding Help (St. Augustine)

nr3832
03-16-2010, 10:34 AM
I am planning to reseed a yard that was overrun with dollarweed once it all dies off from the spraying I are doing. So my question is, what would be the best time to start that, considering spring is right around the corner, and also what would be the best way to spread the seed and what steps would I take to ensure it grows properly.

I am fairly new the landscape profession, so the more detail would really help out due to my limited experience.

Once again, Thanks all.

-Nick R.

MarcSmith
03-16-2010, 10:44 AM
If you find any St Augustine seed, you'd be the first...

There are no commercially available St Augustine grass seed. Just too hard to get viable seed..

you will have to sod or plug your way to a full lawn...

I would HIGHLY recommend going to the Ag Extension offices in Florida they are a wealth of free information.

RAlmaroad
03-16-2010, 11:12 AM
Marc is correct--no seed. St. Augustine MUST be sodded or sprigged. After you properly prepare the lawn soil, you must keep that sod moist for at least two weeks. The minute it drys out, it will die. Also St. Augustine is expensive--somewhere around $125+/-a pallet.
Now the good part--Dollar weed is very easy to remove. Image when the lawn is actively growing is a great product; however, Metsulfuron (Manor or Lesco's Mansion) is a little slower but a wonderful product. Hire a pro from there to spray your existing St. Augustine if you have not sprayed it with Roundup and buy some sod and sprig it, keep it watered and fertilized heavily with Nitrogen and you should have a full lawn quickly.

MarcSmith
03-16-2010, 11:34 AM
dollar weed IS moreor less aquatic weed. IE too much water and it will flourish and once established you cannot get rid of it by cutting back on the water. I have also found that manage works on dollar weed. although not labeled for it, it does work. You just have to find some sedge in the area and spray for sedge...