PDA

View Full Version : Single story facade

maxwilbryan
03-16-2010, 12:14 PM
I'm lighting the front of a house that is roughly 10 ft tall. Is an 20w mr-16 with frosted lens appropriate? I know some of you hate par36 wells but don't they look better? Soffit lighting is out of the question In this case although it would look great. Customer has a budget of 1500. Does anyone do a wash lamp in this situation ( ii think I recall James recommend this app once to a DYI. There are about 5-6ft between windows and on the ends of house. This is very basci I know. I was just curious as to yalls taste. Red brick. Cream eaves. Cookie cutter. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

S&MLL
03-16-2010, 07:31 PM
As long as the eves are not high gloss you should be alright

Alan B
03-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Design is a personal preference. I prefer very subtle wall washing on a facade ( 20w wall washes with frosted/diffusion lens) and instead use the spots/wells for the trees/plants in front of the facade. Put focus on the landscape with some of the light spilling over onto the facade (then use the wall washes to fill in where/if the facade needs it). The spots/wells on the trees/plants in front of the house also tends to cast some plant shadows onto the facade (good thing).

Then (if necessary) add a couple up lights to accent either the doorway/entry or any interesting architectural features that's worth adding extra highlight to.

I personally don't like uplighting facades with spots/floods as much because I feel it:
-creates a more unnatural look with V shaped light streaks or higher contrast (hot spots/dark spots).
-Uses more fixtures for less coverage on facade, plus you still need to light landscape (inefficient, more expensive and can sometimes result in over done lighting)
-tends to waste more light (light pollution--more light wasted aimed straight up)
-just a personal taste -- don't think it looks as good.

Good news with the wallwash way is you can get away with fewer fixtures/lower cost--which helps get more jobs/get happy clients... something that also matters in this econ.

Just my 2 cents. Play around and see what you or your customers style is.

Sincerely,

Alan

maxwilbryan
03-16-2010, 09:43 PM
That was at least $0.07. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

David Gretzmier
03-16-2010, 10:08 PM
Though I agree the customer has imput, I don't think I have ever demo'ed or used a wall washer on a 10 foot wall. I use them on 3-6 foot retaining walls and to softly light statues, small plants and the like. maybe to create a shadow on a wall. but uplights are for uplighting. while putting them 4-10 inches away from a wall will create that triangle effect that alan mentions, I find that a 12-20 inch distance from a 10 foot wall using a 60 degree 20 watt mr-16 with or without frosted lens creates an effect most folks like. with the soffit up above, much of that light also hits the top, and eliminates the need for path lights as it reflects down on sidewalks or pathways below. Having an equal amount of lumens across the legth of a soffit of a home tends to really sharpen the architecture of a home. when perfect, it tells me a pro did that job. when I see wall washers way back and spread out, not so much. but then that is just my opinion. on homes, I just like a bit of the sharpness that mr's ups do rather that a general flood from further back.

While uplighting was done in the past with par36's by myself and others, most folks today use the mr-16 bulb for this application. par 36's, even the newer ones, in my 15 years with using them, even properly volted, just fail more often than mr's. most fixtures using the par also are not waterproof, or even covered, fill with leaves or mulch, and the crimp/blade connections on the wire for the back of the bulb tend to leak and corrode the wire if not sealed properly. I do agree the par had a better wash. but once they were no longer used as headlights in autos, the price of those par bulbs has roughly doubled over the last 6-8 years, whereas mr-bulbs have dropped to less than half what I paid 6-8 years ago. I would expect pars to continue being more expensive to replace as less folks use them. Even Alan's own company sells 6 mr fixtures but only 2 pars and 2 bi pin wall washers. they just are not as popular. That may or may not be what is best, but it is what it is.

JoeyD
03-17-2010, 11:18 AM
the perfect light...coems with 2 lamp options, a full set of lenses, and a external hex glare louver.

http://www.uniquelighting.com/product_pages/STARBURST.htm

maxwilbryan
03-18-2010, 07:05 PM
Thanks David.
Posted via Mobile Device