PDA

View Full Version : SOD Quotes Question

a&llandscapes
03-16-2010, 01:55 PM
First i would like to find out a good formula to qoute sod, I am in the Michigan area, all the sod farms are close still because its still the off season, but i already have a couple bids i need to turn in soon.

How do i calculate square feet into yards, then how much is a good price to lay a layer of topsoil and sod, then maby a price per yard for tare-out, topsoil and sod.

Thanks for helping me out and if i can help you out with anything let me know.

RAlmaroad
03-16-2010, 05:31 PM
There are 9 square feet in a square yard. There are 9 cubic feet in a cubic yard. If you use the cubic yard and divide it by 36; the product would be 36(1" high sections of top soil) X 9 square feet(# of square feet per layer); so your answer would be 326 square feet in a cubic yard. If your thickness is greater or smaller than 1" then simply decide how many layers you have.
Know your cost/cubic yard of topsoil, know your overhead, know you labor based on number of yards to be installed, know your profit margin and go from there. There is no one but you that can tell you this. Sod is sold by pallets and most have 500 square feet in them.
Not very concrete but maybe it'll help you with decisions.