PDA

View Full Version : how to bid seeding job-steps to seeding?

slicknick
03-16-2010, 10:18 PM
Well, I had my first estimate on mulch the other day, and I really want the job but it involves seeding an area in the backyard.

The area is almost completely bare. Dry hard dirt. 26x30 feet. What are the steps to seeding the area? Do you need top soil? Any equipment I need to rent or can it be done by hand? If anyone can give me the basic steps, difficulty, and amount of time this job would take Id greatly appreciate it. What would you guys charge to do this?

procut
03-16-2010, 10:34 PM
:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

slicknick
03-16-2010, 10:36 PM
:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

hey ill tell you whats :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead: , the fact that your 14 and you claim you have 600 accounts. ok kid. get real

slicknick
03-16-2010, 10:37 PM

DJJS
03-16-2010, 10:37 PM
hey ill tell you whats :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead: , the fact that your 14 and you claim you have 600 accounts. ok kid. get real

i'd go out on a limb and say its a joke :rolleyes:

slicknick
03-16-2010, 10:39 PM
i'd go out on a limb and say its a joke :rolleyes:

Well thats unfortunate because Im not on lawnsite looking for jokes. I dont have time for jokes. I appreciate all the people that give good solid advice. If you dont have something positive to add to my threads then either dont read them or dont respond to me. :walking:

CLARK LAWN
03-16-2010, 11:05 PM
well maybe he is joking with you because everyone and their brother starts up a landscape business because" hay its easy money anyone can do it". then they get on here and ask questions like how do i seed, what to wear to an estimat, how do i bid on a job, how do you do this and that.

if you dont know what you are doing maybe you would be better off going to work for someone else for a while til you learn how to do things the right way. It will save you alot of money in the long run.

hell there are alot of businesses i would like to start but i dont have any idea on what to do so i dont go start it then ask people how do i do it.

slicknick
03-16-2010, 11:10 PM
well maybe he is joking with you because everyone and their brother starts up a landscape business because" hay its easy money anyone can do it". then they get on here and ask questions like how do i seed, what to wear to an estimat, how do i bid on a job, how do you do this and that.

if you dont know what you are doing maybe you would be better off going to work for someone else for a while til you learn how to do things the right way. It will save you alot of money in the long run.

hell there are alot of businesses i would like to start but i dont have any idea on what to do so i dont go start it then ask people how do i do it.

typical response from a grumpy old lco. Do you realize that no matter how much you hate young entrepreneurs-we are the future of society? I took the steps to become legal and insured. Im trying to learn on the go. Im trying to make a career out of this. Many 18 year olds are out drinking and partying everyweekend making 7.25 an hour at a fast food joint just to buy their booze and cigs. So please, if you dont want to contribute to helping me out, then dont. Dont even click on a thread started by me. You probably think Im taking your customers so you want to be a jerk over the internet. Where were you at 18? Where were you when you first started? Let me know were you born with natural landscaping instincts?

slicknick
03-16-2010, 11:12 PM
typical response from a grumpy old lco. Do you realize that no matter how much you hate young entrepreneurs-we are the future of society? I took the steps to become legal and insured. Im trying to learn on the go. Im trying to make a career out of this. Many 18 year olds are out drinking and partying everyweekend making 7.25 an hour at a fast food joint just to buy their booze and cigs. So please, if you dont want to contribute to helping me out, then dont. Dont even click on a thread started by me. You probably think Im taking your customers so you want to be a jerk over the internet. Where were you at 18? Where were you when you first started? Let me know were you born with natural landscaping instincts?

Not only that, but you pmed me your phone number for me to give you a call and ask questions if I need to... What changed the attitude? :hammerhead:

JB1
03-16-2010, 11:13 PM
get a roto tiller and have at it.

DJJS
03-16-2010, 11:14 PM
Well thats unfortunate because Im not on lawnsite looking for jokes. I dont have time for jokes. I appreciate all the people that give good solid advice. If you dont have something positive to add to my threads then either dont read them or dont respond to me. :walking:

lol well in all seriousness first you need to remove any weeds & debris from the area you'll be seeding, you said its mostly bare so you can probably do that by hand without much trouble. I dont know what soil conditions are in your area, you may want to get it tested, but if not rent a tiller & break up the hard dirt, add some top soil & till it in, seed the area and make sure the homeowners water it I installed a lawn last year where the homeowners would barely ever water the lawn, they had me come out like 4 times to look at it and see why it was getting brown, I knew it was lack of water and told him the first time, the second time same thing, third time i tied the garden hose they had outside in a knot before i left when he went inside so when i went back the 4th time i could just point out the still knotted hose as how i knew he wasnt watering

Kartanimal29
03-16-2010, 11:16 PM
This is going to get good , really fast :laughing:

slicknick
03-16-2010, 11:16 PM
lol well in all seriousness first you need to remove any weeds & debris from the area you'll be seeding, you said its mostly bare so you can probably do that by hand without much trouble. I dont know what soil conditions are in your area, you may want to get it tested, but if not rent a tiller & break up the hard dirt, add some top soil & till it in, seed the area and make sure the homeowners water it I installed a lawn last year where the homeowners would barely ever water the lawn, they had me come out like 4 times to look at it and see why it was getting brown, I knew it was lack of water and told him the first time, the second time same thing, third time i tied the garden hose they had outside in a knot before i left when he went inside so when i went back the 4th time i could just point out the still knotted hose as how i knew he wasnt watering

Thanks for helping me out. I got what I needed no need to continue on in this thread.

CLARK LAWN
03-16-2010, 11:18 PM
the change in attitude is because it is obvious that you dont know what you are doing and you really should go work for someone first. im not saying this to be a d!@k im trying to tell you that with the questions you are asking you are deffently getting in over your head. and just for the record at 18 i was serving my country.

JB1
03-16-2010, 11:20 PM
a roto tiller will do it every time. Just don't get a roto rooter, different tool.

slicknick
03-16-2010, 11:21 PM
the change in attitude is because it is obvious that you dont know what you are doing and you really should go work for someone first. im not saying this to be a d!@k im trying to tell you that with the questions you are asking you are deffently getting in over your head. and just for the record at 18 i was serving my country.

Well thanks for your concern but I dont think im over my head. I have done everything but random things like seeding. The reason for my what to wear thread was because of all the different things on lawnsite with people saying, khakis and polo, jeans and sweatshirt... All I wanted was opinion on whats best. Im sure at 18 serving your country you jumped right into things, right? I mean did you know everything about the military the first month you were in, no? You learn as time goes on. I dont want to work for anyone at minimum wage. I want to take a risk.

JB1
03-16-2010, 11:24 PM
Well thanks for your concern but I dont think im over my head. I have done everything but random things like seeding. The reason for my what to wear thread was because of all the different things on lawnsite with people saying, khakis and polo, jeans and sweatshirt... All I wanted was opinion on whats best. Im sure at 18 serving your country you jumped right into things, right? I mean did you know everything about the military the first month you were in, no? You learn as time goes on. I dont want to work for anyone at minimum wage. I want to take a risk.

for you, working for someone at minimum wage might be a lot cheaper for you than you think.

slicknick
03-16-2010, 11:25 PM
for you, working for someone at minimum wage might be a lot cheaper for you than you think.

I do understand what you guys are saying, but I have invested almost $13,000.00 into this and I am really in this 100%. Too late to turn back, and I wouldn't change a thing even if I fail at this.

CLARK LAWN
03-16-2010, 11:26 PM

at least you get what im saying.