PDA

View Full Version : chipping walkway

tnwildcat
03-17-2010, 01:04 AM
I created a walkway with treated 4x4 as a perimeter. Post are anchored to the ground and divided every 4 feet with 4x4 horizontals. I filled walkway 3/4 full with concrete sand and compacted. The last inch I mixed concrete sand with mortar mix. Once leveled I wetted and let set up. After a month top layer is starting to chip apart. My friend didn't want concrete or stone because walkway is on a downhill slope. Can anyone help?

gardiner
03-17-2010, 10:23 AM
I created a walkway with treated 4x4 as a perimeter. Post are anchored to the ground and divided every 4 feet with 4x4 horizontals. I filled walkway 3/4 full with concrete sand and compacted. The last inch I mixed concrete sand with mortar mix. Once leveled I wetted and let set up. After a month top layer is starting to chip apart. My friend didn't want concrete or stone because walkway is on a downhill slope. Can anyone help?

Did you add air to the mix for the freeze /thaw cycle ?
i was lost on the part about .
My friend didn't want concrete or stone .
(But you ) filled walkway 3/4 full with concrete sand and compacted. The last inch I mixed concrete sand with mortar mix.

tnwildcat
03-17-2010, 07:11 PM
It was attempt to make the concrete sand firmer. I didn't use concrete because he wanted the surface to less slick than concrete. He also didnt't want concrete because area is very shady thus moss,algae, etc. The reason for the walk is family and friends had to many spills going down the hill. Please help me move forward the past is the past this is a learning lesson in progress.

GreenLight
03-17-2010, 09:03 PM
I would definitely bust out that top inch of mortar mixed with concrete sand and trash it. It's useless to you unless you and will be completely tattered within a very short time, the chipping is just the beginning of the process. If the friend doesn't want concrete or laid stone I would recommend crushed pea gravel or rice stone. NOT the smooth kind, it needs to be semi sharded and small. It sounds like to you have good containment bordering boxes so you could easily tamp this stuff in preferably 2 inches and then either do a wet portland wash or dry portland wash that will firm up the lower layers yet still give you enough cushion for traction without slipping and what not.

gardiner
03-18-2010, 10:05 AM
maybe somthing like this would help you . we dont know what exactly what going on with no pictures . if you can think it most likely there somthing for it . http://www.interstateproducts.com/nonslipproducts.htm

Dirt Boy
03-18-2010, 11:53 PM
Try this.
It would look a ton better, and provide the surface you want, IMO anyway.

http://www.gravel-lok.com/