PDA

View Full Version : What's going on with this lawn

BLC1
03-17-2010, 09:37 AM
I talked to a lady yesterday who said last year or the year before her lawn looked just as it does now. A guy had come in and top dressed it with soil and planted some grass. All was fine a for a bit and now its back to looking the same. It's only the area under the tree. I took a few pics to help. Let me know what you think it going on.

Thanks.

CLARK LAWN
03-17-2010, 09:43 AM
kind of looks like grub damage, can you post the pics bigger. if they just replanted grass while the grubs were still feeding then they will eat the new roots also.

ICT Bill
03-17-2010, 09:47 AM
Often it is difficult to compete with a tree, especially maples
The addition of top soil triggered the tree to make more roots to capture the nutrients that were now available. Trees are very effecient at pulling nutrients from the soil, think of the environment that they typically grow in, the forest.

Who fertilizes the forest, no one. so when you apply nutrients, in this case top soil, they will go after it like a ravenous kid

I would suggest that you give up on the competition and tell her the best bet is to mulch around the tree, the tree will be much happier

I used to frequent another forum for gardeners and the comment most folks made was "don't compete with trees especially maples"

BLC1
03-17-2010, 04:32 PM
Is it hard to find grubs this time of the year. I was thinking that was the case at first but the grass that was still there had good roots. It wasn't just pulling out.

Bill, she already has some mulch around the tree and the grass is like that all the way out to the edge of the conopy. I have seen a lot of tree with grass right up to the trunk. I understand its tough to compete but it seems like in most cases grass is able to grow ok.

This tree looks like it has been pruned a lot over the years. Nice looking tree and it's not overly thick where it would be blocking all the sunshine.

BLC1
03-19-2010, 08:45 AM
Anybody else have any ideas?

White Gardens
03-19-2010, 09:00 AM
Bill is right. Maple trees are the worst for growing grass. They also put out mild toxin to help smoother out plant competition around the drip line.

Get rid of the tree ring and make a bigger shade garden around the tree. Otherwise you'll just be fighting it every year.

betmr
03-19-2010, 11:44 AM
I'm thinking a more shade tolerant Grass, like a fesscue. And good fall clean ups.

betmr
03-19-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm thinking a more shade tolerant Grass, like a fesscue.

Mahoney3223
03-19-2010, 11:47 AM
I think it has AIDS :laughing:

hoskm01
03-19-2010, 04:43 PM
I think it has AIDS :laughing:
You're an idiot.

jrodgers
03-19-2010, 08:49 PM
If we are talking within the last couple weeks, and you had alot of snow sitting on it then it could be pink or grey snow mold. Did it look like this in the fall? If it is, you have to use a fungicide or wait for the season to start and it will most likely grow out. The best way to prevent it is a preventative fungicide application. The reason it appears to be under the tree is because the snow sits there the longest, it always appears where there is not direct sun. Just in my experience, but I could be wrong.

03-19-2010, 10:41 PM
If we are talking within the last couple weeks, and you had alot of snow sitting on it then it could be pink or grey snow mold. Did it look like this in the fall? If it is, you have to use a fungicide or wait for the season to start and it will most likely grow out. The best way to prevent it is a preventative fungicide application. The reason it appears to be under the tree is because the snow sits there the longest, it always appears where there is not direct sun. Just in my experience, but I could be wrong.

I have a similar snow mold problem to this. What fungicide would be used? When?
Thanks.

paponte
03-20-2010, 07:59 AM
I think you guys should all listen to Bill... he knows what he's talking about.

BLC1
03-20-2010, 10:16 AM
It was like this in the fall.

I was out on another job today and noticed a similar pattern around another maple tree. I have never noticed maples taking over like this before. Maybe because I wasn't looking for it though.

White Gardens
03-20-2010, 10:31 AM
I think you guys should all listen to Bill... he knows what he's talking about.

Yes, Bill is right. Any suggestions about over-seeding, letting grow back, etc... is a waste of time and resources.

It was like this in the fall.

I was out on another job today and noticed a similar pattern around another maple tree. I have never noticed maples taking over like this before. Maybe because I wasn't looking for it though.

Exactly, and until you have a property you take care of with a maple tree, then you might never notice it.

I have a hard sugar maple out-side my house. For three years I over-seeded, fertilized, etc... Last spring I gave up and decided to landscape it and give up the fight.

The bonus from landscaping sites like these is that it's an up-sell. Offer to create the bed, mulch it, and install plants. After that you can offer maintenance services every year.