PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone a landscape maintenance provider for Wal-Mart?

SKB Industries
03-17-2010, 05:41 PM
Is anyone a landscape maintenance provider for Wal-Mart? I am trying to get my pre-qualification into Wal-Mart to be accepted as a vendor, but I do not have a contact, and the numbers I have called have led me nowhere. Thanks for the information!

Erik Staiger
SKB Industries

CkLandscapingOrlando
03-17-2010, 06:14 PM
I use to be. Till they wanted the lowiest price they could find. Which was half what I charged. I would'nt waste my time if there like they are here

Mahoney3223
03-18-2010, 12:27 AM
I've tried but they want a ridiculous lowball price

Southern Elegance
03-18-2010, 12:59 AM
ive heard brickmen has got all of them now

alteeter
03-18-2010, 06:46 PM
Not even if they wanted to pay a fair price.........You wont ever see me at a walmart.............especially to spend my $$$

TJ LAWN
03-18-2010, 07:47 PM
Contact...USM United States Maintenance...They have the Contract for Most Wal-marts....They have a web site where you can get all the info you need....

Ford2000
03-18-2010, 08:10 PM
I've done work for them.Your in Business to MAKE MONEY honest don't bother waisting your time.

familylawncare
03-18-2010, 10:25 PM
We were contacted by USM to do WalMart snow removal in our area. After jumping through many hoops to get "qualified", as of these date, STILL have not been paid. Oh yeah, they did tell me that being a snow contractor would give a leg up on lawn maintenance. Have tried to contact them numerous times, they never call back. Even funnier, got a call yesterday from USM, asking for company info, wanted to put us into database so we could bid on lawns....even though we were a USM approved vendor,or so we thought. I then asked WHEN lawn contracts would be decided. Answer...they may start allowing bids in next few weeks. Geez! They do not have a clue about what they are doing.

Think Green
03-18-2010, 10:38 PM
All the many hoops and barrels you need to jump through just to get the account, is the same number of loopholes, Wal-Mart has in not paying you!!!
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNN !!!

lawns Etc
03-18-2010, 11:21 PM
The WalMarts near me are handled by a smaller local outfit 3 Crews and he claims that the pay is good He says he gets paid at time of each service with cash through a payout.

CkLandscapingOrlando
03-19-2010, 09:08 AM
I got paid each visit as well. Every week I had a check. And then they cut my bid by 50% and stiffed me for the last check. Waste your time if you want to

TexasFire221
03-19-2010, 10:01 AM
Its the complete oposite here. The current LCO here is overcharging $30,000 a year to cut. I put in a bid last year for a heck of a lot less and she said your bid looks great just let me run it by everyone. I called 4 or 5 times after that and she just kept saying almost there. I finally said well Ill let her call me. Well she never did. Not sure why

Brickwall
03-26-2010, 07:40 PM
We have taken care of our local Wal Marts for the last 3 seasons......Now im told to contact USM to get approved. WHen I called I was informed by USM that they only have the contract for the snow removal . Then I asked if I should still deal with my Local Managers, he replied "you should do what they tell me" I said "they told me to call you" Sounds very screwed up????

Anyone else dealing with USM??? This is crazy......Why would wal mart do this????

101Prolawns
03-26-2010, 08:52 PM
Hey Guys did you know that Wal-mart went international? That's the problem. They are now operating like an apartment complex, you mow it once and then you have to wait for your check and it might take 2 months for it to come in. Lowes did too go international.

familylawncare
03-26-2010, 09:45 PM
STILL do not know what's up with USM or WalMart. A friend/competitor told me yesterday he was bidding on local WalMart thorugh the manager, that USM was out. I contacted WalMart we do snow for (through USM). They said they did not know, that no decision had been made. I contacted USM and they stated they would be contacting "prime vendors" (aka snow contractors) soon. VERY CONFUSING.

purpleranger519
03-26-2010, 10:26 PM
Is anyone a landscape maintenance provider for Wal-Mart? I am trying to get my pre-qualification into Wal-Mart to be accepted as a vendor, but I do not have a contact, and the numbers I have called have led me nowhere. Thanks for the information!

Erik Staiger
SKB Industries

The vendor application isn't necessary anymore unless your dealing with a Marketside or Neighborhood Market store in which few of those are corp. owned. USM has taken over all facilities maintenance activities such as, snow removal and landscaping/mowing. You can go to their website and fill out one of their contractor forms which after filling out the first page or two you'll more than likely trash it. I can't say one good thing about USM. My company was awarded the snow and landscaping contract for a Wal Mart and USM tried to constantly find ways to get out of paying us. If you ever go to plowsite you can pull up the many threads of guys commenting on USM and see for yourself what they have done to just about everyone they have hired.

If your dealing with a store that isnt USM maintained by chance send your packet to here:

Facilities Services
WAL-MART STORES, INC.
702 SW 8th Street
Bentonville, AR 72716-0145

Best of luck to you!

Snapper Pro
03-26-2010, 10:59 PM
So your Big stores that are international you have to go through UMS?Do they have a wedsite?

purpleranger519
03-26-2010, 11:18 PM
So your Big stores that are international you have to go through UMS?Do they have a wedsite?

http://www.usmservices.com/ :nono::nono::dizzy::dizzy:

Snapper Pro
03-26-2010, 11:23 PM
Thanks a lot I was wondering how you contacted those big commercial accounts.So you basically deal through them right?

shooterm
03-27-2010, 12:58 AM
I honestly cant figure out how they can be doing it cheaper with the added middle man approach. Walmart does things on the cheap and no way can USM be cheaper then all the contractors in this current economy state. Wait a few months and watch them get dumped.

raptor1bravo
03-27-2010, 02:25 AM
I work for a concrete company and we built a Wal-Mart last year. They tell you that there is a whole bunch of work to get a low price then cancel about half of it after the contract is signed, they won't pay for extras that come up even though they say they will at the time. No money to be made there!

Steve
Thomas Outdoor Services

ALLPro Landscaping
03-27-2010, 02:31 AM
most waltmarts are handled by an out side management company, My suggestion would be stay away, they want the lowest price, they don't care anymore about quality, why down grade your self, go for the ones that want your service and will pay what ever to get quality service, its these management company's which are destroying this industry, its bad enough you have lo ballers doing res, now you got them in commercial.

purpleranger519
03-27-2010, 05:03 AM
I honestly cant figure out how they can be doing it cheaper with the added middle man approach. Walmart does things on the cheap and no way can USM be cheaper then all the contractors in this current economy state. Wait a few months and watch them get dumped.

If I recall it was a long term (multi-year) agreement they signed.

familylawncare
03-27-2010, 09:16 PM
So back to the main questions... in your part of the country,is USM handling WalMarts or not? Does anyone her actually have WalMarts through USM for this season? If so, did USM contact you and ,if so, when? Did USM let you bid or give you there price. Did you do snow for USM?

purpleranger519
03-28-2010, 06:46 AM
So back to the main questions... in your part of the country,is USM handling WalMarts or not? Does anyone her actually have WalMarts through USM for this season? If so, did USM contact you and ,if so, when? Did USM let you bid or give you there price. Did you do snow for USM?

Yes. USM is handling the Walmarts in my area and other retail companies as well. I had them this past season for snowremoval yes. This was the second time Ive dealt with them and I knew I should have kept away from them and not had anything to do with them. USM contacted me and I think it was like

SKB Industries
03-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Thanks for all of the information, more than I expected. I guess "national pricing" has been a big motivator for this change. That's what I hear more and more.

FCS Services
02-03-2011, 01:05 AM
just got a bid sheet today and scope of services........ not sure if i like what i'm reading.... they want a lot of work for little money........ IDK ???

Gman2310
02-08-2011, 11:33 PM
I just read their scope sheet and what their price was. I thought that price was per month but apparently it was for the year. I don't know how anyone can work for those prices.
Posted via Mobile Device

JDUtah
02-10-2011, 09:00 PM
I used to work as a lead for the company. You do NOT want to work for them as a contractor. Believe me!!!!

nickclc62
02-11-2011, 09:20 PM
If you listen to one post on this site, please let it be this one. Do not walk away from usm/walmart, you run!!!!!!!! We did over 100k worth of snow removal for them this past few weeks, and as soon as the snow stops they want you out there plowing. But when it comes to getting paid its the same old story.....that's a different department, accounts payable manager is on vacation, we didn't receive your signed work order, blah blah blah. The two best excuses i have heard so far is, "we could not read the managers signature on the work order" and "you did not put am or pm on the time in/time out section." funny thing about that is, we put the times in military times!!! Im telling you its not worth the money they pay.
The only way that i would even consider doing work for them again is to completely rewrite the contract. All work is done hourly and is paid within 14 days, but they will never go for that.
Good luck to all who dont listen

GSPHUNTER
02-14-2011, 04:10 PM
To anybody considering doing this after reading exactly how to get on the vendor list, I have some advice.

A few years ago, or hell maybe even last year I would have jumped on the site signed up and been happy to have more work. As many have said on here, you have to bid jobs to make money. I learned the hard way, as many of the guys giving the advice have. More work/revenue DOES NOT equal more money. It equates to buying more equipment, paying more employees, sending out more bills, dealing with more customers, and so on. At the end, when all expenses are paid for all of the things listed and more, you will be lucky to break even or make a couple bucks.

I did snow removal work for a local Prop. Management company this past year. I got a list of thirty accounts to bid on and thought what a way to grow. The only one I got, I screwed up on my bid. There was a back section of a lot that was accessed from a different road, so I missed it. I was fortunate enough to be able to go back and add to the original price for additional plowing/salting. I guarantee next year though, when all these properties go back up for bid, if I put down my amount for front and back I will not get the account again.

Also, I found myself running my head off and backtracking alot to service this lot, because I knew the manager would be on the phone. This lead to a decrease in service to my LOYAL customers who were with me before and will be with me next year for mowing/plowing.

I did make money on the account, but not near as much as I could with a regular account. The tenants that I spoke to said that the service was great and better than ever, but bottom line is that it doesn't matter. The next cheapest bid wins. So you run around spending time and money writing up bids, just to have accounts for one year with no loyalty based on service.

The point of this long winded post was to share some insight from a younger less experienced guy who learned from mistakes and someone who had to feel how hot the fire was for himself. It's easy to see a whole long list of potential accounts and think about all the money it will generate, but you have to keep the bottom line in sight. There are enough property owners out there looking for a quality service that will be loyal to a particular company if they provide that service. One year gigs will not create sustainable growth. Say I would have got all thirty of those lots. I would have probably had to add at least three trucks, plows, spreaders, and guys to run them. Then next year I lose all of them. I'm stuck with alot of overhead unless the work was subbed out, but I can tell you that there isn't enough of a margin on that kind of work to sub it out.

Hope this keeps some of the less experienced like myself from biting on the temptation to grow like this.

mchappy
02-21-2011, 12:15 AM
I just got screwed by this company as well. We agreed on a price then a week before the contract starts they dropped me because they found someone cheaper!! I believe that it was the best thing for the both of us.