PDA

View Full Version : crabgrass preventer application

MOWNITDOWN
03-17-2010, 10:07 PM
hey guys,
Got a question: Our temperature here was about 55 today. Tommorrow and Friday it is supposed to be about 65. I have read somewher else that when the soil temperature is about 55 degrees is a good time to put down your crabgrass preventer(?) Now after friday we are supposed to get a huge drop in temps and even go below freezing for a couple of nights. OK, here is the question: should I put down crabgrass preventer on friday ahead of this cold snap, or should I wait till after the cold spell and do it when it warms up again. I guess I just don't know if the crabgrass has germinated yet and if so, does it hurt to put the preventer down and then get real cold temps. I don't want the stuff to germinate, because I know then it is too late for the preventer to do any good. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

indyturf
03-17-2010, 10:20 PM
If its just on your own lawn I would wait a couple weeks. lawn companies have to start now to get several hundred lawns done. as long as you get it done before April 15th your good.

anotherturfgeek
03-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Put it down as soon as the forsythia's start blooming. Works great in nc where I'm at.

MOWNITDOWN
03-17-2010, 11:01 PM
thanks for the responses. I forgot to mention, it is for my own yard.

Think Green
03-17-2010, 11:12 PM
We started over a week ago with preemerge to beat the temp fluctuations. It can be costly to wait on the weather to be opportune. Our forsythia's have bloomed twice since Christmas and then we go the freezing snow and ice afterward's. They are in full bloom now and is expected to get cold into the upper 30's by the weekend. Boy!!!! We can't play the game of when, when, and when. We do it the minute the temps break and we see tulips, forsythia, crocus emerge from the dormant turf. Not all types of soil will heat up at the same rates so be ahead of the crabgrass. Get the stuff down now and do not worry about not doing it after the outbreaks hit. Are you using granular Dimension, Pre-M or Barricade? They all will need to be watered into the upper two inches of the soil to be productive. The Dimension will have some postemerge activity.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-17-2010, 11:33 PM
Your in IN? No way your soil temps are anywhere near 55 yet.

VARMIT COMMISSION
03-18-2010, 10:16 AM
I am a couple of zones down from you in Oklahoma and my 2" soil temp. 5 day average is only 45 degrees. With hard freezes expected for at least another 3 weeks I would wait if it was your own lawn.

MOWNITDOWN
03-18-2010, 10:21 AM
thanks guys for the advice. It is a granular preventet with nitrogen.

LawnTamer
03-18-2010, 11:32 AM
I always go a little early. Partly because I have to service several hundred lawns, and also partly because soil temp vary widely in a landscape. Soil that has reflected sun/heat off a vinyl fence, or is next to blacktop will heat up way faster.

MOWNITDOWN
03-18-2010, 12:11 PM
I always go a little early. Partly because I have to service several hundred lawns, and also partly because soil temp vary widely in a landscape. Soil that has reflected sun/heat off a vinyl fence, or is next to blacktop will heat up way faster.

What soil temp do you wanna see before you apply?

RigglePLC
03-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Apply when air temps hits about 70. Start a lot earlier if you have a lot of customers to get done. If air temp hits about 80--you are too late--unless there is a hard frost to kill any new sprouts of crabgrass.

Think Green
03-18-2010, 10:29 PM
It must be nice to live in an area where you can predict the weather with accuracy.!!

One day it is 40 degrees and the next day it is 65! Soil composition isn't the same for all houses and most lawns will heat up and green out quicker.
When in doubt...........whip the barricade out and start spraying. There is nothing like having bermuda lawns in late May with crabgrass all in it from applying too late. If I started applying in April as my label shows, then I might as well stop spraying..and watch the weeds grow.

clallen03
03-18-2010, 11:16 PM
What are you waiting for? It will not hurt you to put it down now but its possible to put it down too late if you wait. Just do it and get it over with. You spot treat one lawn full of crabgrass while the client standing over talking about "you missed this one" you will be putting it out in February.
I recommend splitting the application. I normally start seeing it brake down late summer just in time for my next round of squirting.

I just say better early then late.

PS. The temp you get off the news is completely different from ground temp.

lawnlandscape
03-19-2010, 02:06 AM
What are you waiting for? It will not hurt you to put it down now but its possible to put it down too late if you wait. Just do it and get it over with. You spot treat one lawn full of crabgrass while the client standing over talking about "you missed this one" you will be putting it out in February.
I recommend splitting the application. I normally start seeing it brake down late summer just in time for my next round of squirting.

I just say better early then late.

PS. The temp you get off the news is completely different from ground temp.

Maybe thats good advice for GA, but in the midwest, if you put it down to early, it wears off to fast, and you get crabgrass germinating in late spring.

Wait, its not time yet.

clallen03
03-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Thats why you spilt the application. Half of the max AI in the first app, the other half in the second. About 6 weeks apart depending on the product.

You could be right though...it may just be that way here in GA. I have never treated lawns anywhere else.

lawnlandscape
03-19-2010, 11:15 PM
Thats why you spilt the application. Half of the max AI in the first app, the other half in the second. About 6 weeks apart depending on the product.

You could be right though...it may just be that way here in GA. I have never treated lawns anywhere else.

I never heard of the half & half thing here (other then in coffee :rolleyes:)

But I don't talk to competition much in my area :)

MOB
03-20-2010, 12:45 AM
Up here in God's country we still have some snow! We won't be starting for at least a month yet. My advice would be to actually take some ground temperatures to see where it is at. The rule of thumb up here is before or when the lilacs bloom.

indyturf
03-20-2010, 01:18 AM
Wait 1 month after you see the first TG truck in the spring!! :laugh:

MOB
03-20-2010, 01:24 AM

Yeah no tish!

lawnlandscape
03-20-2010, 08:56 AM

no... lol.. when TG starts their second round its pre emg. time.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-20-2010, 01:02 PM
no... lol.. when TG starts their second round its pre emg. time.

Too funny......too green!

indyturf
03-20-2010, 01:08 PM
Too funny......too green!

I actually think TG may do their pre-m in the second round? because I have seen them spreading 46-0-0 in the early spring!;)

RigglePLC
03-20-2010, 03:55 PM
Correct Indy. Sometimes too Green applies a plain fert in the early parts of Rd 1 and applies their preemergent in the late part of Rd one and early Rd 2.

clydebusa
03-20-2010, 04:02 PM
I never heard of the half & half thing here (other then in coffee :rolleyes:)

But I don't talk to competition much in my area :)

I do a half and half here in the Tulsa Ok area. It has worked well for me in the last 10 years. 1st application takes care of the warm area's around concrete and fences, 2nd takes care of the middle of the lawns.
:walking:

lawnlandscape
03-21-2010, 10:05 AM
I actually think TG may do their pre-m in the second round? because I have seen them spreading 46-0-0 in the early spring!;)

one of the biggest local companys around here spreads weed and feed before crabgrass pre.

help me understand that....

lawnlandscape
03-21-2010, 10:06 AM
I do a half and half here in the Tulsa Ok area. It has worked well for me in the last 10 years. 1st application takes care of the warm area's around concrete and fences, 2nd takes care of the middle of the lawns.
:walking:

maybe its just you southern guys that get into that :)

alpine627
03-21-2010, 01:19 PM
There is a web site GDD tracker that I use to determine proper time.
Growing degree days is what you really want to keep track of when determining
the best time.

MOWNITDOWN
03-23-2010, 04:11 PM
There is a web site GDD tracker that I use to determine proper time.
Growing degree days is what you really want to keep track of when determining
the best time.

Yeah I checked out that website gddtracker.net, it is a useful site. thanks for the info.