PDA

View Full Version : Weed ID and few other questions

kirk1701
03-18-2010, 11:43 AM
Hey guys.
Have a few questions first of being a weed I see every spring about this time, usually a pain to get rid of too and I think its chickweed but want to be sure?
http://www.msuturfweeds.net/details/_/common_chickweed_26

Second, whats better to use to get rid of it with? I have 2,4-D but I'm wondering if some MSMA would work better?

Third, this might just be my paranoia so....
My lawn is turning green, however its turning in a way that reminds me of a football field light green/dark green which is kinda looking like its been stripped from overlapping?? Now I did do a early February fertilizer app with Scotts turf builder for an early green up and applied at recomended rate and I probably did overlap alot purposely because it was still uhhh 25 degrees and snow on the ground so I knew I wasn't going to burn any up, I just wanted to get Nitrogen in the ground early :drinkup:

Plus, we've had a lot of rain since then also.

Pic's attached for all the above. Thanks

RigglePLC
03-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Chickweed. A winter annual. Best killed by a three way in late fall--November where you are. Tiny white flowers a little later. 10 white petals --which are actually 5 divided petals.
Also hairy cress--at least I think so in the last picture. Same spray time.

kirk1701
03-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Chickweed. A winter annual. Best killed by a three way in late fall--November where you are. Tiny white flowers a little later. 10 white petals --which are actually 5 divided petals.
Also hairy cress--at least I think so in the last picture. Same spray time.

ok late fall but what do I kill it with now?

I didn't have any to kill in the fall it creaped in around the edges from neighbors. :cry:

RigglePLC
03-18-2010, 12:59 PM
A Three-way product should work fine--but perhaps it is cold where you are. Speedzone might work a little faster. In any case, chickweed is a cool weather weed. It should not survive temps over about 85, except in heavy shade.

kirk1701
03-18-2010, 01:57 PM
A Three-way product should work fine--but perhaps it is cold where you are. Speedzone might work a little faster. In any case, chickweed is a cool weather weed. It should not survive temps over about 85, except in heavy shade.

Yea I noticed that last year it just disapeared when it got hot, thought it was me and the spot spray 2,4-D.

Thanks.

kirk1701
03-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Hey guys, how about my third question?

Young Bros
03-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Chickweed...3 or 4 way will control at any time of year as long as weed is active and growing. You stripped your lawn with the fert. With a drop spreader you need to apply half rate north and south then east and west. With a rotary spreader you need to apply half rate and spread back to your tracks. This will make sure you dont stripe. Dont apply when winds are >15-20 mph which can cause stripes.

kirk1701
03-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Chickweed...3 or 4 way will control at any time of year as long as weed is active and growing. You stripped your lawn with the fert. With a drop spreader you need to apply half rate north and south then east and west. With a rotary spreader you need to apply half rate and spread back to your tracks. This will make sure you dont stripe. Dont apply when winds are >15-20 mph which can cause stripes.

Thanks, I'm fixing to put out my Pre-M which has 23% slow release N so I'll go in the opposite direction with that. Should take care of it :)

clallen03
03-19-2010, 03:23 PM
I see some poa in that lawn also. Thats gonna be hell to get out of that lawn and the more you mow it the more it will spread. You will need to treat with a good pre-emergent in the fall to prevent it from germinating. Good luck with that.

kirk1701
03-19-2010, 03:32 PM
I see some poa in that lawn also. Thats gonna be hell to get out of that lawn and the more you mow it the more it will spread. You will need to treat with a good pre-emergent in the fall to prevent it from germinating. Good luck with that.

Don't understand what you mean poa? I googles POA and if you mean Annual rye yea I have some of that but never been an issue before.

I didn't put a fall Pre-m down because I still had seen fescue germinating.

kirk1701
03-21-2010, 07:00 PM

OK I thought I'd try 2,4D before I went and bought something. Applied on March 18 and today is the 21st so guess you all know the chickweed just looked at me and got a good laugh :drinkup:

Can you think of anything else that will work on chickweed before I run out and buy speedzone? Reason I ask is because I know I'm going to have to buy sledgehammer for nutsedge later on, then I'm going to be looking at turflon easter to control Bermuda too so these are going to get expensive fast and I can't justify the cost for just chickweed.

Anything I can get that will be a "cheap fix" or I can use for more then just chickweed?

Shegardi
03-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Give it longer, it won't necessarily die in 2-3 days

Young Bros
03-21-2010, 11:04 PM
Q4, surge, & t-zone control chickweed and suppresses nutsedge.

kirk1701
03-22-2010, 12:14 AM
Q4, surge, & t-zone control chickweed and suppresses nutsedge.

I'm going to give it a little longer like Shegardi said and then maybe hit it again with 2,4D as it is labeled for chickweed. Maybe takes longer in these cooler temps.

Just in case any links to these three products where I can purchase as I googled and couldn't find any except the label and manufacturers web site. Or is this something you need a license to purchase?

One more thing, I noticed you used the word "suppresses" for nutsedge and wondering if you meant Bermuda? I ask because I've seen that in other threads on here for Bermuda

Young Bros
03-22-2010, 12:56 AM
I'm going to give it a little longer like Shegardi said and then maybe hit it again with 2,4D as it is labeled for chickweed. Maybe takes longer in these cooler temps.

Just in case any links to these three products where I can purchase as I googled and couldn't find any except the label and manufacturers web site. Or is this something you need a license to purchase?

One more thing, I noticed you used the word "suppresses" for nutsedge and wondering if you meant Bermuda? I ask because I've seen that in other threads on here for Bermuda

You may need a license to buy. I have seen speed zone at shoppers suply before. Any product with sulfentrazone will keep nutsedge down. I'm in the midwest, I dont know anything about bermuda.

http://www.pbigordon.com/index.php

kirk1701
03-22-2010, 01:03 AM
You may need a license to buy. I have seen speed zone at shoppers suply before. Any product with sulfentrazone will keep nutsedge down. I'm in the midwest, I dont know anything about bermuda.

http://www.pbigordon.com/index.php

Yea, speedzone is what Riggle recomended so guess I'll get that 20 oz bottle off e-bay, thanks.