PDA

View Full Version : 3 Way vs Trimec Classic vs Speedzone

stephen424
03-18-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm basically spraying fescue lawns here in Charlotte, NC.
Temperature right now is 58 - 65 degrees and getting warmer.
So I need something that use now and thru the fall.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Guy at Shemin told me that Speedzone works better in cooler temps but I won't get much use out of it.

Input please

RigglePLC
03-18-2010, 03:46 PM
Find something that also includes triclopyr. Carfentrazone works fast but mainly on young tender weeds, and mainly as a contact herbicide--it kills the leaves where the droplets touch the leaf. Works nice on purslane and mallow. Whatever you use, include wetting agent to wet the weeds better. Use the maximum rate.

lawns Etc
03-18-2010, 07:36 PM
If its cool out (under 80) I use Trimec Plus Thats all that I use until June then I go to Momentum but the Trimec Plus is alot cheaper and does a very good job.

Young Bros
03-18-2010, 08:19 PM
We use T-Zone or Speed Zone in the cool weather. They are ester based instead of ammine based. Ester works better, but dont use when temps high and humidity low. $-ways work better than 3 way. T-zone has the triclopyr in it.

grassman177
03-18-2010, 09:13 PM
you can use speedzone up to 90 degrees by label and we do all the time with great success. no weed control works great under drought though, used them all and stuck with speedzone as it kills not only faster but more thoroughly on the hard to kill weeds. have not used t zone yet, curious and will get some this year for use on nasty lawns.

SeedPro
03-18-2010, 09:16 PM
Speedzone has a 10MPH wind speed default on it.

The others don't.

Don't get caught spraying it on a windy day is all I'm saying.

Chilehead
03-18-2010, 09:19 PM
I use Lesco Momentum FX when it's cool, and PBI Gordon's Surge when it's warm (safe up to 90 degrees).

Young Bros
03-19-2010, 12:22 AM
you can use speedzone up to 90 degrees by label and we do all the time with great success. no weed control works great under drought though, used them all and stuck with speedzone as it kills not only faster but more thoroughly on the hard to kill weeds. have not used t zone yet, curious and will get some this year for use on nasty lawns.

Weather must be different. At my company and another I worked for we had some volitization with mid to high 70's with no wind and low humidity. It curled leaves on a medium tree, hurt some flowers, and a bush. I know the label says 90 degrees but we switch to surge around low 70's.

greendoctor
03-19-2010, 02:21 AM
Weather must be different. At my company and another I worked for we had some volitization with mid to high 70's with no wind and low humidity. It curled leaves on a medium tree, hurt some flowers, and a bush. I know the label says 90 degrees but we switch to surge around low 70's.

Zero wind is exactly when I do not spray any ester. It is actually safer to use ester all the way up to the point where wind causes off target movement of the spray. That is usually around 10 MPH depending on your spray tip. A slight wind away from sensitive plants is the best. Zero wind conditions in Hawaii are usually accompanied by high humidity and even higher heat. Those are exactly the kind of days where I am not planning on spraying anything.

grassman177
03-19-2010, 09:28 AM
wow, no volitility expereinced here, but a stubborn updraft did curl some leaves once, a little gusty. we are full aware of the 10mph restriction on speedzone, but we adhere to that with every product when spraying so it does not really matter. i hate to take chances so it is our safe word, dont spray above 10mph. yes, it is a pain to find days in april that have less than that, but it works out and we get it done. i just have way too many places with extensive landscapes of sensitive plants for any windy conditions to mess up no matter what broadleaf you use. it is a personal decision