PDA

View Full Version : Landscape suggestions

Lawn-Scapes
06-18-2002, 10:51 PM
I would like your help/suggestions for landscaping this area inside (and maybe around the outside) of the RR tie area. That's an Oak tree in there. The back of the house is facing west. So this area will get whatever afternoon sun there is between the house and the Oak tree. Then late afternoon/evening sun.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Lawn-Scapes
06-18-2002, 10:53 PM

hosejockey2002
06-18-2002, 11:48 PM
I realize this isn't exactly landscaping, but it looks like a good place for a deck. Are you going to replace the RR ties? They look a little long in the tooth.

Lanelle
06-19-2002, 12:26 AM
The oak tree is going to compete strongly for the moisture and nutrients, so that may curtail some choices. The deck idea is a good one since the patio is nothing to show off. Or the patio could be veneered with flagstone or brick. The bed could be planted with Lamium which will take dry shade. Other woodland natives to consider: Joe Pye Weed, Butterfly Weed, Flame Azalea, some Rhododendrons, Bearberry. Non-natives might include Hostas and Astilbe. Also the container idea could be better developed with more, varied pots and selections for them.

BigJim
06-19-2002, 04:49 AM
Impatiens would give a splash of colour

BigJim
06-19-2002, 04:51 AM
or go with the deck/patio idea,sorry about the tree:D

Russo
06-19-2002, 02:28 PM
Jim, you and your pics......awesome.

As much as I hate Junipers sometimes, how about some Blue Rug around the tie border or some type of creeping plant that will drape over the dern ugly wall and hide it a little. Then stick in all that good stuff hat Lanelle mentioned.

DaddyRabbit
06-19-2002, 10:49 PM
If you must Landscape it I believe i'd start out by tossing the existing landscape timbers and replacing them w/a nice stacked rock wall and the wall shouldn't be a traditional square, it should have shape for contrast,i.e add some curves to it. I would let the age of the occupants/owners dictate the type of plant/shrub if in fact they don't know what they like. :)

Lanelle
06-19-2002, 11:24 PM
NO Junipers in the shade!!!!! They will sulk and get ugly, won't grow at all. And if they did, they would crowd out everything else.
And getting rid of the timbers is a given. Maybe even a terraced stone wall would make the situation easier to plant.

Chuck Sinclair
06-20-2002, 12:34 AM
Here in California we can't plant any thing under an oak, but i see a lot of good suggestions here good luck.

AGLA
06-20-2002, 06:07 AM
A million good ways to skin a cat. Another could be to get rid of the tie walls all together. Start with a wall at patio height to maintain height halfway accross the porch. Then step it down a couple of feet and maintain that height untill you get all the way to the end of the porch where you can wrap a curved return out away from the porch and back toward the oak.
You could then plant shrubs halfway along the porch, a small tree on the lower terrace, and slope it all away from the house.

AGLA
06-20-2002, 06:31 AM
This is a quickie....I hate photoimaging!

Lawn-Scapes
06-20-2002, 11:06 PM
I'm not sure if the customer will go for exspense of the tie removal and new stone wall install. We (the customer and I) were thinking of a Rhodo, couple of Azaleas and she had mentioned Peonies. Anyone familiar with Peonies.. would they do okay there? Big Jim & ALGA... the pics were a great help.. thanks.

Evan528
06-20-2002, 11:34 PM
Even if you just replace the timbers with new... it will make a hige diffrence. Here are some before and after of one of the small timber walls I just replaced.

Evan528
06-20-2002, 11:37 PM
after

AGLA
06-21-2002, 06:24 AM
Rhodies & Azaleas will be fine. I don't think the peonies will do that well. Astilbe and hosta would, though.

DaddyRabbit
06-21-2002, 10:53 PM
Evan 528, that was very nice work w/the before and after, great job in my opinion. The contrast was nice and the natural area wasn't overcrowded.

heygrassman
06-22-2002, 09:57 PM
What is the budget for the project??

What are you guys using for your photoimaging??

KenH
06-23-2002, 09:09 AM

steveair
06-23-2002, 04:34 PM
Ken, pic looks great............but around here, that would be a 'all you can buffet' for the deer. Azaleas and hosta's are gone in a day!

I've seen peonies do very well in a shaded area like that here in jersey, but not sure down there.

I'm really surprised at this post so far. Think only one person has asked what the budget for this project was, yet everyone is flying all kind of ideas out like 'pull the ties out', 'build a new wall', etc. etc.

Looks like a $500 budget job to me.

As for all the annuals, is that going to work? What happens next year when they're all dead? Then there's nothing. Annuals look great, but usually are reserved for the less budget conscious person who would be willing to spend the money every year for their replacement.......which this place does not look like.

With the size of the oak and the sight of the stump next to it, looks like pretty shaky ground to get anthing in. Bet you can't dig 3 inches without hitting something.

I'd go with a few andromedas or laurels, then maybe some coral bells, astilbe, or bleeding hearts and work them in with some large moss rock set through out.

steve

Steph
08-02-2002, 02:47 PM
:blob3: Hey Hey I have an idea!!! My suggestion for the old oak tree is to build a deck as if the tree is growing through it. I know of someone who did this and it worked out well on a hot day!!!