PDA

View Full Version : Celcius Herbicide

ArTurf
03-18-2010, 01:12 PM
I know this is a new product by Bayer, but thought I would ask for opinions on it. It is for warm season grasses, knocks out broadleaf & crab. Sounds good.

Ralmaroad & Greendoctor: What do you think about this for St Aug & Centipede?

GREEN AS A GOURD
03-18-2010, 03:24 PM
It does look good being labeled for a broad spectrum of weeds and warm season turfgrasses

Toughweed
03-18-2010, 03:28 PM
It is safe for st. Aug and centipede up to 95 degrees!

GREEN AS A GOURD
03-18-2010, 03:28 PM
I have been looking at Celsius also, not any stores in my area carrying it yet. I would like to find out what the average cost is
Posted via Mobile Device

coiclawn
03-18-2010, 03:40 PM
It was just released in Fla. a couple of weeks ago so I haven't had a chance to check results on my lawns yet. It is agency priced at 75.00 a bottle. It has tall crabgrass on the label but the guys I talked to that were part of the test group said that they got about a 50-50 kill on all types.

greendoctor
03-18-2010, 04:23 PM
I was given a bottle to test by my Agrium rep. Did a centipede lawn and a zoysia lawn with it last week. This might be the ticket for some grassy weeds that MSMA did not do much to anyway. At agency pricing, this comes out better than Certainty or Monument, the two products in heavy use here.

GREEN AS A GOURD
03-18-2010, 05:54 PM
I checked with two local lawncare suppliers and they were both in the mid $90 range.

LawnoftheMonth
03-18-2010, 09:25 PM
I paid 75.00 for a 10 granular oz bottle, Im going to try it on oxalis next week.

(st.aug)

LawnoftheMonth
03-18-2010, 09:27 PM
It is safe for st. Aug and centipede up to 95 degrees!

higher than that according to the bayer and estes reps.

RAlmaroad
03-19-2010, 06:28 AM
I have a sample but am waiting for St. Augustine to break dormancy. I'll be trying it on Dallisgrass in St. Augustine. If it works, cost is not a problem. It's strange, I have two lawns side by side, even with a chain link gate between. One yard had Dallisgrass in centipede which I took care of and through the gate is St. Augustine with same Dallisgrass. Drift there was serious and sprayed it around 5AM when everything was dead calm. Dallisgrass had to be wicked with gylphosate with hypodermic needle (poor at best). The best I could do was to keep it from spreading without burning holes in the lawn. Well the Dallisgrass is still there in the St. Augustine. These people are wonderful and listen to every word. I'm anxious to just do something for them and if Celsius works--well an early Christmas gift is on the way. I'll let you know come June.

coiclawn
03-19-2010, 03:14 PM
I checked with two local lawncare suppliers and they were both in the mid $90 range. It's agency priced so if you're paying more than 75.00 you're getting ripped off. Check with your Bayer rep.

olive123
03-19-2010, 09:20 PM
ive been testing it here in S fla. Been a week and some. Put it on typical sites and very similar to atrazine. Ill report in a couple weeks. The real test is summer. I am in the position to test it in any area I want. Gotta break some eggs...:)

greendoctor
03-20-2010, 01:14 AM
A tank mix of Celsius and Revolver is suggested for control of dallisgrass. I find that st augustine will tolerate Revolver if it is well fertilized and not under drought or heat stress. Did a lawn where bermuda was in the sunny part and st augustine was under a tree. 0.5 oz Revolver/1,000 sq ft. So far the st augustine is just a little stunted, but nothing like the nameless tropical grassy weeds I was trying to kill. Those are turning various shades of fried. If the 20-30 MPH winds stop, I am going to do that lawn with the Celsius this weekend.

Greg Amann
03-20-2010, 04:46 PM
Our guys put the first out a couple of weeks ago. Haven't checked those out yet.
Funny thing was, one of our techs spot treated an area of a yard on Weds.. He treated a small patch of hawksbeard, 1 thistle, and oxalis. He called me on Thurs. and asked me to go by and check it out. The hawksbeard and thistle looked like they had been hit with a 2,4-D product the day before. Oxalis didn't look like it was touched. The treatment was so fresh the blue dye was still obvious.
We will be checking it out at weekly intervals.

greendoctor
03-21-2010, 12:57 AM
Dicamba will do that to broadleaf weeds. Oxalis is usually slow to react to everything but Quicksilver. One lawn I tested Celsius on had a 1 oz addition of Quicksilver mostly because the customer was freaking out about how big the weeds were. New account that did not get my November treatment of Image and Simazine.

coiclawn
03-29-2010, 10:21 AM
Our guys put the first out a couple of weeks ago. Haven't checked those out yet.
Funny thing was, one of our techs spot treated an area of a yard on Weds.. He treated a small patch of hawksbeard, 1 thistle, and oxalis. He called me on Thurs. and asked me to go by and check it out. The hawksbeard and thistle looked like they had been hit with a 2,4-D product the day before. Oxalis didn't look like it was touched. The treatment was so fresh the blue dye was still obvious.
We will be checking it out at weekly intervals.

Greg, Please let me know when you check your first sites. I've been using it since the first of the month and I'm getting real nervous about the lack of control I'm getting. Mixing it at full rate plus Octane. Hopefully I didn't waste my time on yet another product that doesn't perform.

greendoctor
03-29-2010, 12:57 PM
The types of herbicides in Celsius do not work very well in cool weather. Spray when temps stay above 70 and Celsius works fine. This product also benefits from a nonionic surfactant or MSO type additive. No "stickers". Stickers are for non systemic fungicides applied to ag or nursery crops.

ArTurf
03-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Greendoctor,

Are you going to use this on centipede?

greendoctor
03-29-2010, 01:30 PM
Sprayed a centipede lawn with Celsius about 14 days ago. Will be going back to check on it this week. I am trying to kill some invasive tropical grasses. Bermuda is seldom a problem for me. The weedy grasses are the ones that thrive at a high mowing height.

LawnoftheMonth
03-29-2010, 09:25 PM
Week 1 after I sprayed Wild Onion, it is gradually falling over, s l o w l y. Poa annua & oxalis look unscathed, broadleafs were dead the next day. I just started spraying dallisgrass this week, but I dont expect much control with that since I cant use revolver on St.augustine.

LawnoftheMonth
03-30-2010, 05:55 PM
week 2, different lawn: oxalis is singed, poa annua is smoked, black medic is 50/50 dead.

Greg Amann
03-30-2010, 07:38 PM
Checked the site I mentioned above. The hawksbeard and thistle were dead but it only looks like we got 50% control of the oxalis.
Today I went out with the high rate of Celsius + surfact 820 and treated white clover, dollarweed, black medic, cudweed, oxalis, vetch, lespedesa, creeping beggarweed, and alligator weed. I will be checking these sites weekly to see where the control stands.

ArTurf
03-31-2010, 01:49 PM
week 2, different lawn: oxalis is singed, poa annua is smoked, black medic is 50/50 dead.

I do not see Poa on the label? Did it take out the poa or did you have anything else mixed with it? If it does that would be great.

LawnoftheMonth
03-31-2010, 08:18 PM
I do not see Poa on the label? Did it take out the poa or did you have anything else mixed with it? If it does that would be great.

nothing else mixed, just non ionic surfactant. The reps at Bayer said a lot of weeds arent on the label yet because they weren't sure of all the weeds it controlled when the label was made, he used poa annua as a specific example.

LawnoftheMonth
03-31-2010, 08:20 PM
they also said it will work as a pre-emergent, I'm testing that starting tomorrow.

ted putnam
03-31-2010, 09:51 PM
nothing else mixed, just non ionic surfactant. The reps at Bayer said a lot of weeds arent on the label yet because they weren't sure of all the weeds it controlled when the label was made, he used poa annua as a specific example.

...Wouldn't it be great if Dallisgrass was one of those not listed:clapping:

WestGaPineStraw
03-31-2010, 09:56 PM
Going to use it on my Round 3 app. It's $75 for 10oz bottle here...I read through the paper work my JDL rep gave me today and it looks like its going to be the next big thing. Only kicker is, that your restricted to one broadcast app per year. I'm pumped :weightlifter:

LawnoftheMonth
03-31-2010, 10:23 PM
they also said it will work as a pre-emergent, I'm testing that starting tomorrow.

edit: nvm

Estes rep just re-iterated, it only works as a pre if it comes into direct contact with the soil, like in thin or bare areas.

ArTurf
03-31-2010, 10:34 PM
...Wouldn't it be great if Dallisgrass was one of those not listed:clapping:

Ted,
Dallisgrass is on the label.

ted putnam
03-31-2010, 11:05 PM
Ted,
Dallisgrass is on the label.

Wow! That's excellent. I'll have to pull up the label and do some reading. I heard them talk a little about it at the ATA conference this year but didn't really follow up on it and gather info for myself. Knowing that it has DG on the label makes me feel all warm an fuzzy inside. Only one broadcast app annually??? I hope they have it rated at control and not just supression.

greendoctor
04-01-2010, 01:34 AM
One broadcast application per year if applied at max rate of 3.2 g./1000. Annual application limit is 4.8 g./1000. The bermuda lawn with all kinds of tropical grasses infesting it got round 2 with 3.2 g/1000 + 0.5 oz Revolver. Round 1 was 0.5 oz Revolver + .26 oz Image. Bermuda is tolerating this very well, compared to my old standard of 2 oz MSMA + Image + simazine. Apparently, Celsius can be used with Sencor. Sencor is kind of my last resort because it will turn a lawn blond for up to 3 weeks and it cannot get near the other warm season grasses, especially not zoysia. Zoysia will die from Sencor.

ArTurf
04-02-2010, 08:00 AM
[QUOTE=greendoctor;3494637]Sprayed a centipede lawn with Celsius about 14 days ago. Will be going back to check on it this week. I am trying to kill some invasive tropical grasses. Bermuda is seldom a problem for me. The weedy grasses are the ones that thrive at a high mowing height.[/QUOTE

greendoctor

have you checked on these lawns?

greendoctor
04-03-2010, 01:59 AM
Sandbur, hawksbeard and crabgrass looking pretty worse for wear. There is some spurge that I did not expect the Celsius to drop. That is what Manor is for. Overall, I am pleased with the results.

coiclawn
04-06-2010, 07:35 AM
Greendoctor, What were your temps at time of app.? What I treated at the beginning of march didn't have the results of what I sprayed the last few days now that we are in the 80's.

Ric
04-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Greendoctor, What were your temps at time of app.? What I treated at the beginning of march didn't have the results of what I sprayed the last few days now that we are in the 80's.

coiclawn

This has been a very unusual winter weather wise. I had the same no response with Dismiss because of cold temperatures back in January. I have also noticed more winter weeds than usual this year. We are in our dry season, yet wetter or as wet as our wet season.

Our C-4 Warm Season turf is still semi dormant. Because of how wet the ground is, it will take a while for ground temperature to get high enough to cause normal growth. Wet soil takes longer to warm up than dry soil.

ArTurf
04-06-2010, 09:36 AM
The label says not to use on bahia or cool season grasses so I would assume it would kill these, which would be fine with me. Has anyone seen the effect on these?

Since we are discussing warm season turf what products do you use on St Aug? Greendoctor, Ralmaroad, Ric lets here it from you.

Ric
04-06-2010, 07:27 PM
The label says not to use on bahia or cool season grasses so I would assume it would kill these, which would be fine with me. Has anyone seen the effect on these?

Since we are discussing warm season turf what products do you use on St Aug? Greendoctor, Ralmaroad, Ric lets here it from you.

Arturf

I use about the same program as Runner Posted several years ago. Early spring I blanket sprayer a broad spectrum herbicide and spot treat the rest of the year.

greendoctor
04-07-2010, 03:28 AM

Would you believe that I have had rather low temperatures by my standards. Normally it is above 80 and almost 90 just about every day of the year. When I treated the centipede lawn, it was around 75 and not going to go above 80. Night temperatures have a large role as well. It has been in the 60's at night, which is cold for Hawaii. I would love to see what happens when I hit weeds with a Celsius/Quicksilver mix in 85 daytime/79 night temperatures.

greendoctor
04-07-2010, 03:31 AM

The pharmacy for weeds in st augustine includes Certainty, Celsius, Image, Manor, Gallery, Simazine, straight Banvel, Speedzone Southern and very low rates of straight 2,4-D.

coiclawn
04-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Since things have heated up around here I've noticed better control with celsius,especially with dollar weeds which was a pleasant surprise.It definitely works better in warmer temps, oxalis control is slow but seems to have picked up with the heat as well. Problem now is bayer is handing out with an eye dropper.

bug-guy
04-08-2010, 02:23 AM
the demand has exceeded the supply

ted putnam
04-10-2010, 02:31 PM
One of my suppliers ordered several bottles and called me the other day to tell me they were in. I just got done reading the label online and was impressed. The timing for Dallisgrass control could be better and I didn't see Virginia Buttonweed on the weeds controlled list but I was impressed nonetheless. Not a "magic" bullet for us warm season guys, but close. Looks like you can get about 90 gal of mix at the high rate from the 10 ounce bottle.

ted putnam
04-10-2010, 02:55 PM
One of my suppliers ordered several bottles and called me the other day to tell me they were in. I just got done reading the label online and was impressed. The timing for Dallisgrass control could be better and I didn't see Virginia Buttonweed on the weeds controlled list but I was impressed nonetheless. Not a "magic" bullet for us warm season guys, but close. Looks like you can get about 90 gal of mix at the high rate from the 10 ounce bottle.

I need to clarify my last statement so there's no misunderstanding. We should be able to treat about 90k at the high rate.

ArTurf
04-12-2010, 10:44 AM
Ted,

Let us know the results you see.

coiclawn
04-12-2010, 01:34 PM
It works well on buttonweed.The Bayer reps. told us that the label isn't complete and there are a lot of weeds that aren't listed. I'm most impressed with the dollar weed results so far. It works 10x better now that things have warmed up.

LawnoftheMonth
04-13-2010, 11:43 PM
add wild strawberry to that list. :)