PDA

View Full Version : PL VS Mortar For Pavers

traderfjp
03-18-2010, 07:01 PM
I'm installing pavers over a cement patio that is in great shape. This is in NY so there is thawing a freezing. I need to secure the soldier course and then lay the inside pavers on sand. My question is will PL eventually pop - am I better off using mortar or a versabond instead?

Thanks

brickpuller
03-18-2010, 09:38 PM
The PL should work. Why are you laying the inside pavers on sand?

traderfjp
03-18-2010, 11:10 PM
Drainage and because there is no chance of them popping up. That's a lot of PL for a 600 sq. ft. patio. My dealer is telling me if I don't seal the joint with mortar and just use PL that water can get under the paver and pop the PL bond. I would prefer to use PL to save time but I want to do the job right.

Rex Mann
03-18-2010, 11:52 PM
use a geo textile over the concrete. Next use a setting band of sand. The sand will compensate for and lows and highs in the concrete and any inconsistencies in paver thickness.

You should also drill at least one hole in the lowest point. 2 inch diameter all the way thru the concrete. fill it with pea gravel cover with the geo textile.
the edge i would just use PL it is made to be outside in freeze thaw. Just need to get the water out from the setting bed.

Peace,

Rex

http://PaversInstalled.Com

traderfjp
03-19-2010, 12:05 AM
Have you used PL with success? Do I still have to mortar the joints of the soldier course or can I just sweep sand. Weep holes are a great idea. I've never used a geotextile fabric. What would this do? The concrete is not crackes so I'm not worried about sand migrating out. Thanks again.

Rex Mann
03-19-2010, 01:07 AM
geo textile will prevent the bedding sand from migrating down into any future cracks. I would just use sweep sand

Peace,

Rex

http://paversinstralled.com

traderfjp
03-19-2010, 08:08 AM
The patio is crack free so I don't think I need the fabric. It's my understanding that fabric is mainly used in clay soils / wetter environments to keep the base seperated from the soil it's laying on. I need to use PL for the coping on the pool too. I just would hate to use it and have everything pop.

bigviclbi
03-19-2010, 08:36 AM
You are supposed to use fabric. Go to ICPI and look up a concrete overlay schematic you can print it out.

bigviclbi
03-19-2010, 08:46 AM
You are supposed to use fabric. Go to ICPI and look up a concrete overlay schematic you can print it out.

paponte
03-20-2010, 11:38 AM
Like Rex said I would use the fabric also, and flip it up against your soldier course to keep sand from migrating through your pavers. If you are talking about PL'ing to existing concrete you can do that, but I would not PL to the steel pool wall itself. Any flex in the wall will pop your coping. your also going to want to leave a 1/2" gap between your coping and your paver field and fill with caulking to keep your pavers from popping the coping when they heave in winter.

traderfjp
03-20-2010, 12:17 PM
So it would be best to put down steel mesh and then mortar to the steel coping and put in grout lines. What about the existing cooncrete patio shoudl I mortar the soldier course of PL it?

Thanks again.

Rex Mann
03-20-2010, 03:23 PM
If you are affixing a copping to a pool that has flex then you must put a flexible caulking behind the copping so it will not buckle the field pavers. 3/8 minimum is ICPI standard.

Peace,

Rex

http://PaversInstalled.Com

traderfjp
03-20-2010, 03:45 PM
So PL would be better because it's flexible and mortar is not?

Moneypit
03-21-2010, 11:47 PM
If you are setting the field in a sand bed, wont the border in PL be too low? If your using 1/2 to 1 inch of sand, I hope your not planing on using that much PL the level out the borders. I would just use mortar.

traderfjp
03-21-2010, 11:53 PM
The coping sits higher than the concrete patio so there is no problem there.