PDA

View Full Version : Sceptic Lines

ddishman
03-18-2010, 10:16 PM
Does anyone know a way to spread the moisture from above the field lines to better disguise the location of a sceptic drain field. I have a big "S" in my front yard all summer long, not so much from the high nitrogen but from the areas always being moist above the field lines.

RigglePLC
03-19-2010, 11:47 AM
Sure, easy, irrigate so its all the same color of green.

betmr
03-19-2010, 11:58 AM
Sounds like poor drainage in you leach field, you should have it looked at by a professional septic company. Perhaps your Leach field is clogged up.

One question, do you have a Washing Machine, and does it drain into your Septic? Another question, how old is this system?

Darryl G
03-19-2010, 12:39 PM
I agree, sounds like a failing septic system. The water is supposed to go down, not up. Fertilize the rest of the lawn and it should be less noticeable. And if it's moist from septic discharge it's high in nitrogen too more than likely.

ddishman
03-21-2010, 09:42 PM
I'm putting in an irrigation system right now, but I was wondering if someone might have experimented with cutting some trenches across the field lines or had tried some other trick to spread out the effect of the extra moisture and nutrients on the turf. Soil here is heavy clay so it's not wanting to move laterally, hence the bright green "S" during the summer drought periods.

SullivanSeptic
03-23-2010, 09:30 AM
I would be careful not to run any lines accross the septic system. Sounds like your trenches are over saturated. There is a bigger problem there. I would get the system looked at before you do anything to the area

cgaengineer
03-23-2010, 03:28 PM
I dont think he is talking about gray water surfacing. If he is he should have his system looked at.

Those dark green areas over septic system are common here in GA due to the clay soils and I cant think of anything short of redesign of the drain-field to a drip emitter system which uses a pump and an ATU to treat the gray water. A drip emitter system would be spread over a larger area and would have spacing of 12"-24" and a minimum of 8" below soil surface. A pump timer is also used if the system is spread over a several different spots so that it doesn't over saturate one area.

These systems also cost around $13,000 and are usually a last resort for land with poor percolating soils.

ddishman
03-23-2010, 09:29 PM
No, there's no gray water surfacing. I think the biggest problem is that the soil between the drain lines is extremely compacted heavy clay. That's why I was thinking cutting trenches about 18" deep spaced 2 ft apart, 90 degrees to the existing lines might help spread out the moisture. My thinking is a big dark green rectangle would be more asthetic looking than a 3 ft wide "S".

cgaengineer
03-23-2010, 10:13 PM
If you cut those trenches you will then have gray water surfacing. Your best bet is to leave it alone. If you irrigate heavily to match the existing turf you will saturate your drainfield and you will again have gray water surfacing. If you have anymore questions PM me and I will give you my work number where you can reach me and we can discuss it.

That being said, your septic system is working as it should.

Posted via Mobile Device