PDA

View Full Version : Mulch Shortage

lawns Etc
03-18-2010, 11:30 PM
In my area we have always been fortonate to have 3 major mulch producers I got mulch last week and when I went back today I was sent packing they said they have no mulch available I was thinking theres thousands of yards in those piles and he explianed that they dont have enough right now to fill their bagged orders so they wont have any for wholesalers for 2-3 weeks.
This is due to the housing market and no new development and they cant get enough wood to produce colored mulches. I thought OK I will go up the street to one of the others guess what same story "he didnt even have any made"

I was forced to go to the third place which I dont like to as they use demolition wood and pallets and they had enough to do the job but they have jacked the wholesale price up from last yrs $5 pr yard. The guy there said that he expects the price to go up again by the end of the month, so I guess I need to get a 80 yd load delivered to my yard and I will just load it here with my tractor.

mike174
03-19-2010, 12:08 AM
I've been calling around in my area of NJ...the wholesale nurseries have bulk in (for now) and it's priced about the same as last year ($26.50/yd black shredded). The guy did make a comment about not being able to source any bagged mulch for the nursery.

lawns Etc
03-19-2010, 10:23 PM
My price for black and all colored mulches went from 17cyd to 25 now

mike174
03-19-2010, 11:28 PM
Called another place today and found it for $25/yd. $17 to $25 is a big jump in price.

lukemelo216
03-20-2010, 11:32 AM
everywhere around here has gone up about 3-4$/yard for plain shredded and dyed. I finally found a supplier a little further away from me thats selling triple ground dyed brown mulch for 26$ a yard. Thats 2$ cheaper than im paying for single ground dyed so I am fairly happy about that. Went to another yard everyone of there mulches for contractors are 20$ a yard but I walked through and took a look at the mulch and its just crappy as can be. I would never lay that down on my customers property.