PDA

View Full Version : Customer wants lawn seeded

Larson Lawn Care
03-19-2010, 06:40 PM
I have a customer that wants her front lawn seeded. In the past I would have rented an aerator and lined a few jobs up to make up for the cost of the rental. I do not have that option, and I do not want to aerate the lawn. It isn't a very large yard, what options do I have for getting the seed into the soil instead of aerating. I thought about using a metal rake to scratch the surface, or a grass stitcher, or maybe throwing topsoil over the seed, any other options would be appreciated.

RigglePLC
03-19-2010, 10:22 PM
Mow as short as possible. Maybe power rake or use the lawnmower spring tooth rake blade. Top quality seed. Half blue--half rye. Use double the usual amount of seed. Starter fert. Use the dead grass for mulch. Water every day for 30 days.

Larson Lawn Care
03-19-2010, 10:25 PM
lawn mower spring tooth rake blade... that's a do-hicky if I ever heard of one. Where can I find one of those and about how much? Do you think I can get by with using a hand rake used for dethatching?

MOB
03-19-2010, 11:57 PM
Rip the **** out of it and seed and pack or use an overseeder / slit seeder. Any seed that germinates without good seed / soil contact dies.

Merkava_4
03-20-2010, 01:14 AM
Any seed that germinates without good seed / soil contact dies.

They do it all the time out here in California. If it's a Bermuda lawn, and the customer wants a tall fescue lawn instead, the guys will go and scalp the Bermuda with a reel mower in late October and then seed over it immediately with fescue or perennial rye. Once the rye starts coming up while the Bermuda is dormant during the winter, come springtime, the Bermuda won't get enough sun to grow back; the rye will suppress it with shade. Customers will have to keep the rye watered.

betmr
03-20-2010, 09:40 AM
Rent an over seeder, and charge back to customer. I think that's your best bet.

RigglePLC
03-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Dethatcher blade:
http://www1.epinions.com/prices/16_Dethatcher_Blade_Kit
Its a cheap consumer model--but at lesst you will not be doing it by hand. You want to remove so much old grass that at least 50 percent of the soil is exposed. You may have a lot of debris to remove--or use the debris on top of seed for mulch. Wet it down good.

Larson Lawn Care
03-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Do you think I can get by with just using a hard rake to scratch the surface?