PDA

View Full Version : Can you buy dye to spray on mulch?

HARRIS Property Management
03-19-2010, 11:04 PM
We just did a mulch job at a customers house and I have been buying trailer loads of red dyed mulch from the same guy year after year. We just put it out two weeks ago and the color seems to have faded faster than normal. We had no rain for the first week we put it out so I know it didnt wash off. My customer asked me if I can re-spray it with some dye. Has anyone ever done that?

David

paponte
03-20-2010, 09:03 AM
First off I would be on the phone with your mulch supplier. Alot of guys are putting out mulch faster than they can make the stuff, and the dyes are not fully curing into the wood. Another problem is that alot of guys are trying to dye root mulch which also just can't be done efficiently. The only way to dye is using pallets processed properly.

There are several dyes you can buy and spray with a tank sprayer, but you are only going to hit the top layer. Try a google search.

grassman177
03-20-2010, 09:48 AM
there is some nice dyes out there, and it does do a nice job, but way too easy to stain things if not careful i would think. never done it, but looked into it

Southern Elegance
03-20-2010, 11:00 PM
google mulch magic

stevenf
03-20-2010, 11:27 PM
I would also like a mulch die or a homemade alternative. I just mulched part of an apartment complex and they have another area I would like to die to make it match. I was thinking some medium brown paint and water might be worth a shot.

grassman177
03-21-2010, 01:28 AM
no paint are you kidding, the dye is at least organic!

a plus bob
03-21-2010, 10:38 AM
there is some nice dyes out there, and it does do a nice job, but way too easy to stain things if not careful i would think. never done it, but looked into it

I got a free sample a few yrs back.Man was it a mess !! Glad I didnt pay for it or use on a customer it was splotchy and looked ugly.

HARRIS Property Management
03-21-2010, 11:27 AM
Thanks much for the info. Im going to get a bottle of Mulch Magic and do a sample at the shop.

grassman177
03-21-2010, 12:12 PM
Thanks much for the info. Im going to get a bottle of Mulch Magic and do a sample at the shop.

very good idea!

Southern Elegance
03-21-2010, 05:57 PM
takes a good sprayer, 2 guys make it easier too. the second guy can hold up a piece of wood to avoid over spray on sidewalks or buildings.