PDA

View Full Version : Frost damaged palms

South Florida Lawns
03-20-2010, 01:12 AM
So most of my area was hit hard with frost, and many of the warmer climate palms turned brown or died all together. My question is if you trim all the dead fronds off of say a Christmas palm or Foxtail is that just as bad as when the fronds are green? What about the Travelers palms that got it the worst?

I always leave them until new growth has become evident, but many of my customers want it all trimmed back. What do you palm experts do?

CkLandscapingOrlando
03-20-2010, 06:41 AM
Get rid of it. These wounds will start to rot and can cause big trouble for the plant. So long as the threat of frost is gone your good. A palm feeds off of dying fronds which is why you normally should'nt trim them till the fronds are brown. But this is diffrent. Some copper based fungicied will help keep end bud rot to a min as well

ICT Bill
03-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Get rid of it. These wounds will start to rot and can cause big trouble for the plant. So long as the threat of frost is gone your good. A palm feeds off of dying fronds which is why you normally should'nt trim them till the fronds are brown. But this is diffrent. Some copper based fungicied will help keep end bud rot to a min as well

Good advice CkL, I was in orlando at the beginning of March and could not believe how much damage there was, you guys must be making a fortune hauling dead plants away and replacing them

Caution on the copper fungicide, not only is it terribly toxic to the property but it causes blindness if you get it in your eyes

South Florida Lawns
03-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Good to know guys thanks for the help!

CkLandscapingOrlando
03-20-2010, 05:59 PM
I try not to get any thing in my eye's. Good rule of thumb. Yea it's been a real bad year. Got one client lost all 3000 in plants that we installed in Nov. Now they get to re spend it with me. Funny thing, and a good thing for them, None of the 5 palms took a hit