PDA

View Full Version : OIL - are they all alike??

meets1
03-20-2010, 09:54 AM
I have two salemen that always stop and wanting me to buy amsoil and schaffer oil. Never heard of schaffer but amsoil yes. Then there is quaker state, pensoil, and list goes on.

I use cenex oil, grease, gear lube etc and have good luck. Never had a problem.

I am running all synthica oil in trucks but I still run regular oil in mowers cuz I change oil b/t 75-125 hours and that it seems like every two weeks things are being changed and with the frequency of changing why go with syn. oil.

And then each tries to sell something different - 5-40 vs 5-30 and they even told me they have a 0-40??

Unless you guys can sell me on the "right" oil - I am sticking with what I have used.

WH401
03-20-2010, 10:45 AM
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

360ci
03-20-2010, 10:49 AM
What oil you use ultimately comes down to personal preference anyway. There is no right or wrong choice here. All oil lubricates. If you ran regular oil in your trucks and changed engine oil every 3K, verus 6-10K for synthetics you'll get similar wear if you maximize the better wear properties of synthetics.

I run Amsoil in my vehicles. Everything from a Dodge Durango R/T, 99 Ford Taurus, Pontiac G6 GT sedan to my small engine equipment. This year I'll be running synthetic 2 stroke oil, and see how that goes. If it can save me a few bucks a year in fuel/oil costs, and provide longer equipment life and less maintenance it's worth to try.

I've been running Quaker State 4x4 synthetic blend in my Craftsman 6.25 Tecumseh push mower. Only because after I sold my gas station I kept quite a few quarts of this to use. Been using it since it came out in/around 2002, and around the time I purchased the mower. I change it out every 50 hours or so, as the oil begins to darken and then tarnish a bit before its completely black. I've picked up a quart of Amsoil 10W30/SAE 30 small engine synthetic oil, to try out. I won't need to use it as I replaced the engine oil before storage of course but around mid to late June it'll be due for a change. My crafsman mower obviously has no filter, so once the oil begins to tarnish (yellowing) I generally change the oil. If I can get 75 or more hours off of a $6 quart of synthetic versus a $4.75 quart of standard oil that's 25hours more time than usual which will make it cost effective enough to keep using it in the future. Once the growing season starts I'll average 10-17 hours a week on it.

dbear
03-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Think with your dipstck, Jimmy! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsBeEVUdo98)

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Alpha Property
03-20-2010, 05:39 PM
i run 0-30 in all of my equipment, and high milage 10w-30 dino oil in the truck

thom
03-20-2010, 06:01 PM
I have two salemen that always stop and wanting me to buy amsoil and schaffer oil. Never heard of schaffer but amsoil yes. Then there is quaker state, pensoil, and list goes on.

I use cenex oil, grease, gear lube etc and have good luck. Never had a problem.

I am running all synthica oil in trucks but I still run regular oil in mowers cuz I change oil b/t 75-125 hours and that it seems like every two weeks things are being changed and with the frequency of changing why go with syn. oil.

And then each tries to sell something different - 5-40 vs 5-30 and they even told me they have a 0-40??

Unless you guys can sell me on the "right" oil - I am sticking with what I have used.

I use valvoline dura blend in all of my vehicles.

meets1
03-20-2010, 06:11 PM
So therefore Amsoil, schaffer, doesn't matter. I am getting the impression that if it is good stick with it. What then is bad in your views?

topsites
03-21-2010, 12:59 AM
I look at it this way...

Every oil sold has to meet certain minimum specifications mandated by federal law, so at least in that sense they are all the same.
The next question is, how many manufacturers are honestly going to over-spec their oil past these minimum specifications?

JCLawn and more
03-21-2010, 01:15 AM
Main tip, NEVER MIX OIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEVER!!!!!!!!!! NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!! NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok got that? stick with one kind. As far as brands? I don't think it really matters. I use shell 15-40 in my mower. My dad's mower, the piston wore out before the wall with this oil. The piston warped and did not hurt the wall. This never happens. I like to run thicker because it seems to make the engine last longer. Also thinks don't leak as much. Use what the engine tells you, because that is what it was designed to run. There are few engines designed to run 0-20 or 0-30, so I would not run it unless the manufacturer says to.

Milwaukee
03-21-2010, 01:21 AM
Main tip, NEVER MIX OIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEVER!!!!!!!!!! NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!! NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok got that? stick with one kind. As far as brands? I don't think it really matters. I use shell 15-40 in my mower. My dad's mower, the piston wore out before the wall with this oil. The piston warped and did not hurt the wall. This never happens. I like to run thicker because it seems to make the engine last longer. Also thinks don't leak as much. Use what the engine tells you, because that is what it was designed to run. There are few engines designed to run 0-20 or 0-30, so I would not run it unless the manufacturer says to.

Ok I have question. If it was new truck that say ONLY 5W20 or Void Warranty? Will you use 15W40 in it?
I know some people go to oil change shop and they put 10w40. Then went to dealer for issues with oil pressure. Ford Void their warranty.

grassman177
03-21-2010, 12:37 PM
i know cenex is crappy here, we have got some in a pinch and it is really thin crap and we ran their tractor hydro in our older kubota mowers and it ruined the hydros for not being viscous enough. i would run a better brand than cenex

360ci
03-21-2010, 12:49 PM
Ok I have question. If it was new truck that say ONLY 5W20 or Void Warranty? Will you use 15W40 in it?
I know some people go to oil change shop and they put 10w40. Then went to dealer for issues with oil pressure. Ford Void their warranty.

It's best to stay within the manufacturers recommendation. 5W20 oil is mostly recommended for light duty truck engines that use a displacement on demand (DOD - GM) system or Dodge's MDS on the light duty HEMI engines. The thinner oil allows these systems to work at optimum performance levels. As for putting 5W40 into a gas engine you can really put ANY oil in any engine as long as it's within reason. I wouldn't put 15W40 in a gas engine, as that's more for diesels that operate at lower rpm on a regular basis. For gas, you can use a 0W20 if you want to maximize fuel economy, and that can also be used with DOD and MDS cylinder control systems as well.

Besides, it's the vehicle manufacturer that has to prove the wrong oil was used should you have any problems.

As for mixing oil, this is OK. Again, I wouldn't top up with two quarts of 15W40 if I had 5W30 oil in there, not to say it's not possible. If you were on the highway, and needed oil and they only had some diesel engine oils available, don't fret, you can always change it out later. Oil is cheaper than a new engine, and 15W40 for instance won't 'kill' a gas engine, but it will lower fuel economy in a gas engine as it's a thicker oil and the engine will have to work harder.

I run Amsoil synthetic 0W30 oil in my Pontiac G6 GT and in my Dodge Durango. Both of those vehicles call for 5W30 from the factory, and my Pontiac is still under powertrain warranty for another year and a few months. Lighter oils can tend to burn off quicker than thicker oils, but again, it depends on a lot of factors such as driving style, speed, idling, and so on.

I run 5W20 Amsoil XL oil in my Ford Taurus, and have been for the last seven or so years. I change it once a year, even though it calls for 6months oil change intervals, but I haven't had any problems and when I change it at the 8000mile mark (almost all highway miles on this car by the way), it's still light to medium brown in colour. If I drive more, then I'll change it earlier but I've never had any problems. It called for 5W20 from the factory, and I bought a case of 12 quarts. Once I use that up, I'll change it over to 0W30 with my other vehicles just to simplify my inventory.

ranger350
03-21-2010, 12:59 PM
www.bobistheoilguy.com forums.

Shaeffer is very good, if I could get it in canada i'd be using it in everything.

360ci
03-21-2010, 01:44 PM
www.bobistheoilguy.com forums.

Shaeffer is very good, if I could get it in canada i'd be using it in everything.

Closest dealer for me in Kitchener, is in Erie, PA. I've heard good things, but product availability is definitely nil in Canada.

ranger350
03-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Closest dealer for me in Kitchener, is in Erie, PA. I've heard good things, but product availability is definitely nil in Canada.

I told my local lubricant dealer about it, he wants to check it out, but doubt they will end up carrying it. They already carry ESSO, Mobil, NOCO, Shell

360ci
03-21-2010, 03:38 PM
I told my local lubricant dealer about it, he wants to check it out, but doubt they will end up carrying it. They already carry ESSO, Mobil, NOCO, Shell

If you wanted to, you could phone Monarch Oil in kitchener, as they carry most major brands and sell to retail stores, everything from undercoat oil, engine oil, hydraulic oil, greases, etc. They're in Kitchener on Victoria Street N. I used to get hydraulic oil in bulk from them.

ajslands
03-21-2010, 03:40 PM
Think with your dipstck, Jimmy! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsBeEVUdo98)

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Darn someone beat me to it!
Posted via Mobile Device

JCLawn and more
03-21-2010, 05:38 PM
you mix your oil if you want to. I know 3 engine that have blew up because of this. It creates sludge. Nasty thick sludge that will plug up your oil system and KILL YOUR ENGINE. If I had a truck that said 5-20, no I would not put 15-40 in it. You would be fighting the piston ring on every evolution. Now if it was 5-40, then yes. 5-40 and 15-40 would be the same viscosity at a high temperature. The first number is the cold temperature viscosity and the second is hot. This enplanes it http://www.blackstone-labs.com/oil-viscosity.php So when it is summer, it is better to have a higher first number to prevent dry starts. Your owners manual should give you different viscosity numbers for different temperatures. I ran 20-50 in car once. It had 200,000 miles on. It ran so much better with this, the reason is that the engine rings were wore and the thicker oil took up the gap.

Think with your dip stick Jimmy!!!

360ci
03-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Think with your dip stick Jimmy!!!

If that guy ever came into my garage and whipped me in the as$ with my own dipstick, I'd sue for harassment and get free oil for life.

meets1
03-21-2010, 09:50 PM
I just spoke with my brother-in-law in Michigan and he is just starting to sell schaffer oil. He said he can ship whereever people need it - I could set ya up with his email and you guys follow suit from there.

JCLawn and more
03-21-2010, 10:14 PM
is this the same schaeffer were talking about?