PDA

View Full Version : Walk behind power rakes

BLC1
03-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Has anybody used the walk behind power rakes? How do they work? Do they make a walk behind rockhound?

Thanks.

Benz2328
03-20-2010, 11:40 AM
I have a bluebird power rake and it works great! After I thatch a lawn I go over it with my mower or if its a smaller yard I use a lawn vac. Customers like seeing the thatch rise to the top, they can see the before and after difference.

greenScape09
03-20-2010, 12:19 PM
yes, we use husqvarna commercial dt22 thatchers on any lawn, big or small. no the most efficient, but does the best job.

BLC1
03-20-2010, 03:22 PM
I just read my original post and realized I wrote that wrong. I was meaning a walk behind harley rake. Sorry.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-26-2010, 03:00 PM
I plan to rent a Bluebird w. bag to powerake a customer's lawn. I don't like to powerrake/dethatch (personally think its waste of time compared to core aeration), but this customer insisted.

Do these rakes do a good job of picking up the thatch, or should I plan to take along my 21" w/ bagger?

JimQ
03-26-2010, 03:24 PM
I plan to rent a Bluebird w. bag to powerake a customer's lawn. I don't like to powerrake/dethatch (personally think its waste of time compared to core aeration), but this customer insisted.

Do these rakes do a good job of picking up the thatch, or should I plan to take along my 21" w/ bagger?

It will pickup up most of it but definitely take the 21" to clean up after you're done. It will look much better.

Q

metro36
03-26-2010, 04:45 PM
I just read my original post and realized I wrote that wrong. I was meaning a walk behind harley rake. Sorry.

Check out this turf teq

http://www.turfteq.com/products_rake.html

stratfordpropertycare
02-26-2011, 05:56 PM

Hi, I owned the one and only unit in Canada, used it a few times and it worked great on smaller lawns, did a fantastic job.
I didn't't get a lot of work for it so it sat alot.
Got a call from a sod company 100 miles away asking if I would do a demo for them as I had the only unit in Canada. Harley referred them off my warranty card.

I did the demo and they where very impressed with the machine and finish it left, as I was loading the machine the owner of the company asked if I would consider selling it as I didn't't do much with it.

In the end I got almost 2 grand more for it then what I had paid so I sold it...

Hope that helps...

PM me if you have any questions...

Was a well build machine...

ACA L&L
02-27-2011, 04:10 AM
we use the bluebirds, they work great. Big lawns and small, be careful not to take it to dirt.

JFGauvreau
02-27-2011, 09:29 AM

Ya I have the blue bird without the bag and it works amazing, I go in both direction; north-south and east-west for better results. If you have the one with the bag I'm sure it will save you trouble.

For me I just pass with a lawn tractor 42" with a dual bagger system in the back. I have a small toro 21" for places where my tractor can't go.

The tractor is so easy because I run it full speed, I raise up my blade so that i'm not even cutting the grass, just picking up the thatch.

And NO, its definitely not a waste of time. Core aeration DOES help to brake up the thatch, but if your customer has more than 1inch of thatch, it's definitely better to de-thatch it.

naughty62
03-15-2011, 10:31 AM
Our pr22 fail type is pretty and nice easy to use . I like some of the old, lighter built ones.we have a heavy gauge rake with heavy duty height adjustment assembly,When you set it down it and go ,it is like pushing a lead brick with square wheels. looks brand new and sets in the corner with bearings and one wheel robbed off it.If you cant demo it on a yard or two dont buy it . There is lot of lead bricks out there .

docjones
03-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Harley Rake makes a 3 foot walk behind unit powered by a 13hp Honda. You can see a video on it on www.everythingattachments.com

This unit costs between 9 and 10 thousand bucks.

Hope this helps.