PDA

View Full Version : mosquito Barrier help

CLC
03-20-2010, 03:04 PM
I was thinking about buying a 100gal skid sprayer and spray mosquito barrier at just my home. How do regulate the flow rate. The product calls for 20 gals of water per acre,Using a droplet size of 350-400 microns or medium size mist. Can you guys help me out here

VARMIT COMMISSION
03-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Wow, you must have money to burn. If I was going to spray "just my house" I would buy a hose end sprayer for $10.00 at walmart and save the other grand or two that you would spend on a 100 gallon skid sprayer for a vacation.

CLC
03-20-2010, 07:02 PM
I have a 5 acre plot of lawns, pond, and outdoor living area. So I need something good size plus it gives me room to expand

phasthound
03-20-2010, 08:00 PM
I suggest you look into ICT Organics Essential and apply with a backpack mist blower. BTW, we supply both Mosquito Barrier & ICT products. Last year I did push Mosquito Barrier and got mixed feedback. It worked fine in most of my applications, but some companies reported it didn't last as long as manufacturer claims. I cannot account for the reason why.

RigglePLC
03-20-2010, 08:35 PM
Common insecticides are toxic to fish. Be careful around your ponds.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrethroid

ICT Bill
03-20-2010, 09:38 PM
of 30 commonly used lawn pesticides
16 are toxic to birds
24 are toxic to fish and
11 are deadly to bees

and many field tests are showing unisex fish and frogs with multiple legs

In an 11 year study by the EPA (and USGS) released in 2007, 97% of the water tested (on over 5000 sites) nationwide contained at least one pesticide, in over 40% of the tests there were 10 pesticides

This is the water that is used by your town or city as a supply of drinking water

Off my soap box

CLC
03-21-2010, 09:42 AM
http://www.mosquitobarrier.com/ Check it out says its safe for fish pets people birds bees. Iam I wrong to think this. Anywho can anyone awnser my question about flowrate

FLAhaulboy
03-21-2010, 09:56 AM
I tried MB last summer & found this product to be worthless. I put out (2) applications in (2) days & it had zero affect. Thank goodness I only bought a quart when I was going to buy a gallon instead.

phasthound
03-21-2010, 10:47 AM
Common insecticides are toxic to fish. Be careful around your ponds.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrethroid

Absolutely true even for some natural pesticides as your link points out. Always follow label instructions.

According to the label Mosquito Barrier is not toxic to fish.
http://www.mosquitobarrier.com/MSDS.html

As for flow rate, just mix up your 100gal tank as per label directions and use the entire tank on your 5 acres.

Greenkeep
03-28-2010, 09:32 PM
I have been using this product for two years with great success. I have tank mixed it with Astro as well. Last year i tried alone and added spreader sticker to the mix and had great results. I am applying it with a Gregson Clark skid using a small nozzel on a Jd9 @150-200 Psi. Make sure you get a good soak on the buffer areas and hit the lawn a little while your at it. Unless i get a call back i will give Astro the boot.

Bwing96
03-28-2010, 11:08 PM
What rate are you mixing? How many gpm? Itried this last year also with not so good results. I think I mixed 1 gal with 40 gal. of water and applied at 12 gal/acre. It does seem to need some good agitation to keep it well mixed. My agitation was weak and it clogged up my strainers.

MarkTodd2233
03-29-2010, 07:57 AM
Been doing this for 3 years now, (1) 3/4 gallon of Bifen or Tal-star to 100 gallons of water (cost should be around $30.00 a jug. use 100 gallons per acre, spray everything, grass, shrubs, as high as you can in trees, any side walks, roof, fence, etc, stay at least 15ft from pond,, will repell mosquitoes at least 3 months, I do this on water front properties every year (camp sites) and get 8 weeks,, but on open land at least 3 months,, If you are around the house, spray every thing except the windows, (you will have to clean them,lol)

Mark
15 Years Termite & Pest Control
Just opened Lawn Care

Pythium
03-29-2010, 01:02 PM
of 30 commonly used lawn pesticides
16 are toxic to birds
24 are toxic to fish and
11 are deadly to bees

and many field tests are showing unisex fish and frogs with multiple legs

In an 11 year study by the EPA (and USGS) released in 2007, 97% of the water tested (on over 5000 sites) nationwide contained at least one pesticide, in over 40% of the tests there were 10 pesticides

This is the water that is used by your town or city as a supply of drinking water

Off my soap box

It is not just pesticides that cause problems. I think we should ban all prescriptions drugs based on this article.
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science/11/14/coolsc.frogs.fish/index.html

Greenkeep
03-29-2010, 06:52 PM
http://www.mosquitobarrier.com/Label2.html

The label says it covers 5 acres with 1 diluted gallon. There are different mixing rates on this site. All i did was take 5 acres (217,800sq. ft.) and divide that in to the bottle size (1280z.). So 128oz divided by 217.8= .59oz per thousand. It may seem low but that's all i feel is needed, Mosquito Barrier is quite concentrated and the smell will be in your tank forever once used. Not a bad smell but it is very noticeable.

Now if i'm running my skid at 150-200 psi i'm putting about 1 gal per minute(http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/AboutUs.asp?LID=598)

A 100gal skid load would be .59 oz. of MB and 1 pint of spreader sticker. If Astro is going in i use about 3-4oz. You can even use less if you want, i have gone as low as 26oz. per 100 gal. and tamed even the worst mosquito infestations. I think the key is using the spreader sticker as it gives a lot of mileage to the mix.

One other thing, this may be a matter of opinion but you do not need to spray way up in the trees or the roof of a house. Mosquito's dwell within 4-10 ft. All i do is hit the buffers really well waist high and hit the foundation and surrounding shrubs.

americanlawn
03-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Been using Mosquito Barrier for several years. Great success. (We buy from phasthound). Combining it with insecticides means you need to avoid water, so we most often just spray MB with great results. Although once in a while, we'll add Talstar (thanks JDL) for a quick kill plus the protection of MB.

We've seen mosquito protection for as long as 4 - 5 weeks.....sometimes even longer, but frequent rains will diminish the effects. We spray everything 30 feet & lower, using a J-D9 pistol or tree rifle at 200 - 450 psi. Reason we spray that high is cuz it helps repel "frequent flyers", cuz skiters can fly that high.

For longer lasting effects, we mix it on the stong side (never using any spreader/sticker). My 2 cents. (thanks phasthound for all your products) :usflag:

Bwing96
03-30-2010, 08:42 PM
I guess you are using the 7.9% Bifen and not the 25% stuff. Where do you buy yours online or somewhere local? I can't find it up here but would be willing to drive down that way to pick some up.