PDA

View Full Version : putting in a yard, rake, aerate, seed,fertalize

I mow in est
03-20-2010, 10:24 PM
well a contractor asked me the other day if i wanted todo it, i got all the equipment, i would need to rent the aerator(100$) a day. he wants me to lightly grade the yard, then aerate, seed and fertilize.. i do not know how big the yard is.... probably 1-2 acres

I mow in est
03-20-2010, 10:37 PM
what would any of yall charge?

Darryl G
03-20-2010, 10:46 PM
I don't get it. This is a new lawn install and you're going to aerate it? And if you've got all of the equipment, why are you renting?

And we're supposed to price it and you don't even know how big it is?

I'd charge 85 to 90 percent more for 2 acres than 1 acre since you're already set up for the first acre.

I mow in est
03-20-2010, 10:52 PM
I don't get it. This is a new lawn install and you're going to aerate it? And if you've got all of the equipment, why are you renting?

And we're supposed to price it and you don't even know how big it is?

I'd charge 85 to 90 percent more for 2 acres than 1 acre since you're already set up for the first acre.

srry this is confusing, i have everything but the aerator, the contractor says he want me to aerate the yard after i grade it, so the seed / fert. dont run off... ive never put in a yard before so thts y im askin...

Darryl G
03-20-2010, 10:59 PM
If I were you'd I'd start out doing some spot repairs and small renovations first before trying a whole new lawn install, and I've never aerated to do a lawn install nor heard of anyone doing it.

I'd do a search and read up a bit here before even considering this any further. There's more to it than a lot of people realize.

I mow in est
03-20-2010, 11:20 PM
If I were you'd I'd start out doing some spot repairs and small renovations first before trying a whole new lawn install, and I've never aerated to do a lawn install nor heard of anyone doing it.

I'd do a search and read up a bit here before even considering this any further. There's more to it than a lot of people realize.

i do seed n fertalize alot , and i have aerated plenty of yards, but i have never gradedd a yard b4, i also dont charge much for things, but since this is a contractor i could charge more , as in i normaly charge 15$ to seed and fertalize. the owner buys the materails i spread them. then when i aerated i charged 50$ per acer.... so i do stuff for dirt cheap... but to grade a yard . i have not done... its already loose dirt.... i really have no idea to charge... and how to charge

procut
03-20-2010, 11:44 PM
I think maybe you should just let someone with some expirience handle this one. You obviously have no clue where to start.

Darryl G
03-20-2010, 11:53 PM
Your pricing is insane. I woudln't even show up to a job for $15.

You need to go look at the job and measure the area at least, take some pictures. Are you planning to hand rake 2 acres yourself? Good luck with that. Are you going to need a tractor and York rake or a skidder with Harley rake? You need to do your homework before you come here asking for help. And the aerating idea is just plain weird if this is bare soil.

I mow in est
03-20-2010, 11:56 PM
well im only 16 and have been doin this for only 3 years, i mainly mow ,do mulch, havent put in a yard, n the contractor knows me cuse i live right next to him so he know how i do my work... and i just aerated his place and got to seed n fertalize for him, got to start somewhere... i started wit r lil new holland tractor, then got a commercial ZTR now got a commercial ZTR, and r JD tractor.... i know how to run equipment, i just dont know wht to charge.... runing it is not a problem.... we had r commercail mower for a mounth in the summer and put 100 hours on it, then are new holland tractor had 600 hours on it, and weve had are new tractor since friday and ive already put 15 hours on it...

I mow in est
03-21-2010, 12:03 AM
i got a tractor, i have a 74" frount loader, and rear blade, and rake for the rear 3 pt hitch for grading, then i have a rear pto broadcast spreader for the tractor as well.... i charge 15$ to seed cuse it takes me five minutes to load the seed/ fertaizer and spread it, and the guy lives within a minute away drivin with the tractor.... literaly thts y i didnt charge 60$, plus he had the seed n fertalizer....

im just woundering wht yall charge for example to grade, seed, fertilize, forget the aerating it was his idea not mine, i cant take the rear rake and rake it side ways with the hill if hes worried about it running off

wht would you chage per 10,000 Sq feet to grade, seed, fertilize

dKoester
03-21-2010, 01:31 AM
Whats the name of your company?

hotshot4819
03-21-2010, 08:46 AM
What are you going to use to make sure the seed stays in place? Hay? Hydroseed...
If you are considering spreading 2 acres worth of seed without putting a cover material on top, your nuts.
Even if its flat ground, an rain storm would instantly puddle seed into areas.

Darryl G
03-21-2010, 12:32 PM
Well, personally I'd estimate how many machine hours I'd have to rake it out and winrow all the rocks and debris on the tractor and bill that part out at $70 to $75/hour. Then I'd figure the time to pick up and get rid of the rocks and roots at my regular labor rate of $45 or $50 hour, even if I'm using the loader as a wheelbarrow. Then it's still gonna need to be hand raked some with 24 and 36 inch landscape rakes, probably cut off some roots that are sticking up by hand and get the areas the machine can't reach. Then the time to seed and straw. If you've got any significant slopes, everything is going to take longer and you have to decide whether you're putting down any sort of erosion mats or anything. In most cases, I will just put down some hay bales to break up any long paths the water may take to slow it down, and then move them every 4 or 5 days so I don't get bare spots under them and hope there aren't any downpours. And then I'd figure in some time to go back in a month or so and touch up any bare spots...you're never gonna get 100 percent grass coverage in one seeding.

Without seeing the job, I'm not even gonna guess at how long this will all take or how much it will cost. It depends so much on what the site looks like right now, how well the rough grading was done, how many rocks and roots there are and the whole layout and access of the place. Suffice it to say that doing this yourself if it's 1+ acre it will take you days.

hotshot4819
03-21-2010, 02:12 PM
[QUOTE=darryl gesner;3479481]...you're never gonna get 100 percent grass coverage in one seeding.

QUOTE]

i agree with everything you say,. except this comment...

i hydroseeded 1000's of acres, and very few of those acres have i needed to go back, maybe 4-6 acres over the 4 years have we had to go back and touch up....

your using a FARMERS TECHNOLODGY, its out of date, and not practical.

Darryl G
03-21-2010, 02:32 PM
[QUOTE=darryl gesner;3479481]...you're never gonna get 100 percent grass coverage in one seeding.

QUOTE]

i agree with everything you say,. except this comment...

i hydroseeded 1000's of acres, and very few of those acres have i needed to go back, maybe 4-6 acres over the 4 years have we had to go back and touch up....

your using a FARMERS TECHNOLODGY, its out of date, and not practical.

Yah, I can buy that if you're hydroseeding. I'm not a big fan of hydroseeding unless there are slopes involved. Maybe the guys around here just don't know what they're doing, but what I see a lot of times is that it sprouts but never really takes, except for places that it's been run over and contacts properly with the soil. Again, maybe it's operator error, I don't know.

But as far as installing a lawn on spreading seed, I always have some thin or bare spot for various reasons.

RigglePLC
03-21-2010, 04:16 PM
Take cash, when you begin the lawn job. And do not guarantee anything whatever. You may never get paid. You did mean $15 per 1000 sqft didn't you? Allow for a second trip to fix bare spots.

hotshot4819
03-21-2010, 06:12 PM
if seed Starts to germinate and then dies off there is only a few reasons for that...
it was properly waters for the amount of time it needed.
or it wasnt fertililized once it started to germinate.

those are the 2 biggiest reasons a lawn install fails...

dKoester
03-21-2010, 08:38 PM
You can't put fert down in this state without your license. He didn't say the name of his company either= scrub.

I mow in est
03-21-2010, 10:36 PM
You can't put fert down in this state without your license. He didn't say the name of his company either= scrub.

out where i live u dont need to have a name or company, license for putting out fertalizer, thanks for playing have a nice day. ive talked to several local companies bout this, for me to put fertalizer i dont need a license

i bought 3 thousand pounds of 3x10, and i looked at the laws... to many ppl where i live have 2-3 + acre lots... for example we own 7 acres.... and havent got a name yet for a comapny, im getin a license and such this summer

I mow in est
03-21-2010, 10:50 PM

o and BTW who does lows sell ther fertilizer to? do u think a normal landscaper buys there stuff from them? i buy my stuff from southern states, nobody knows about tht place, its 8$ cheaper for the same ole stuff, so wht r u sayin bout fertalizer? o and walmart sells the stuff too

dKoester
03-21-2010, 11:08 PM
Fertilizer application............ state law, you need a license. Southern States, nobody knows about this. ummmm there is one by here on S. Military Highway. My fert cost under $14 and some change for a 50 lb. bag. Where I get it from NOYB. Who needs a Fertilizer license?
Specialty Fertilizer License -
Any person whose name appears upon the label of any regulated product as the manufacturer or distributor shall obtain a license to distribute in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Commercial Fertilizer License -
Any person who distributes regulated product shall obtain a license prior to distributing any regulated product. A license is required for each manufacturing location that distributes any regulated product within the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Contractor-Applicator License -
Any person desiring to become a Contractor-Applicator shall, before engaging in business as a contractor-applicator, obtain a permit to do business in the Commonwealth. The applicant shall guarantee compliance with all provisions of Title 3.2, Chapter 36 of the Code of Virginia (1950), as amended (also known as the Virginia Fertilizer Law) to include an assurance of delivery of the quantity and grade of fertilizer, or the quantity of any regulated product, as described on the consumer's invoice.

I mow in est
03-22-2010, 12:16 AM

Fertilizer application............ state law, you need a license. Southern States, nobody knows about this. ummmm there is one by here on S. Military Highway. My fert cost under $14 and some change for a 50 lb. bag. Where I get it from NOYB. Who needs a Fertilizer license?
Specialty Fertilizer License -
Any person whose name appears upon the label of any regulated product as the manufacturer or distributor shall obtain a license to distribute in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Commercial Fertilizer License -
Any person who distributes regulated product shall obtain a license prior to distributing any regulated product. A license is required for each manufacturing location that distributes any regulated product within the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Contractor-Applicator License -
Any person desiring to become a Contractor-Applicator shall, before engaging in business as a contractor-applicator, obtain a permit to do business in the Commonwealth. The applicant shall guarantee compliance with all provisions of Title 3.2, Chapter 36 of the Code of Virginia (1950), as amended (also known as the Virginia Fertilizer Law) to include an assurance of delivery of the quantity and grade of fertilizer, or the quantity of any regulated product, as described on the consumer's invoice.

no one is going to get a license just to put fertaizer on the friggin yard

ALLPro Landscaping
03-22-2010, 12:34 AM
Dude if you wanna run a business then get your you know what together, YOU need a license, I don't give a dam where your from, you have to get a register a name with almost every county, and in my state you need a landscaper license which you can fert with but you cant do pesticides with the same license. You wanna sit here and go back and forth with the guys on here, you have no room to talk, you are not one bit a business. let me know when you get sued for hitting someone in the face with a rock from mowing, GET INSURANCE. also the crap they sell at home chepo and lowes etc is for the home owner, let your county find out your buying round up then putting it down in your customers mulch beds, oh wait your ok since you buy it from home chepo. get real

Darryl G
03-22-2010, 12:53 AM
He's 16 and sounds like he's just making a few xtra bucks with the family equipment, but I agree he shouldn't just thumb his nose at industry regulations and do whatever he feels like.

JohnnyRocker
03-22-2010, 02:04 PM
The moderators here are stalking me. They are obsessed with removing my posts when they disagree with my points of view. How sad.

Darryl G
03-22-2010, 02:13 PM
I don't think it's your opinions, I think it's your tone and personal insults.

smokeeater
03-22-2010, 08:34 PM
To take on a new install, you should own a skidsteer along with a Harley Rake. Anything less would make you look bad. If you've never seen one in action before, find some info on youtube. I do alot of new installs here in East TN and that's the way I do it...turns out great most of the time, as long as mother nature does her part.:cool2

smokeeater
03-22-2010, 08:46 PM
You seem too new at this to do a proper job. Not only do you need to Harley Rake, you have to "hide" or haul off the debris, lime, fertilize, seed and straw (about 110-120 bales per acre):hammerhead:

Darryl G
03-22-2010, 08:57 PM
I agree that a Harley rake is nice but the job can be done with a York rake and some hand raking...or even just hand raking and a lot of sweat and blisters.

I mow in est
03-22-2010, 10:11 PM
I agree that a Harley rake is nice but the job can be done with a York rake and some hand raking...or even just hand raking and a lot of sweat and blisters.

ya ive seen harley rakes in action with a skid steer before them things are sweet but i aint forkin out money for one, and yes to what you said before, im just usein my families equipment........ thts why i said i can use are 72" landscape rake behind the tractor, i might get a pulverizer for the tractor, there cheap.. bout $600 for one. it has teeth like a box blade with a spring loaded drum like wheel tht has spikes on it..... its a poor mans version of a power rake for a tractor or skid steer

smokeeater
03-22-2010, 10:12 PM
I know about the sweat and blisters from too many years of it. Now that I'm much older, I use the Harley Rake on a skidsteer. I used to use a York behind my tractor, then the Harley Rake (they were first made for 3 pt hitches before attachments for the skidsteer) but the problem with that is they have no down pressure. Not as big a deal up where I come from in CT, but down here in TN the ground is so darn hard, you need down pressure, plus it is in front of you and helps take out the imperfections in the grade. At least IMHO!:cool2:

Darryl G
03-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Yah, I'm sure it's a sweet setup..it just almost sounded like you were saying it's the only way. You do have to be careful with a York rake because if you have some ups and downs, if you're not careful you just accentuate them...wheel kit helps. I usually backblade with the loader at a pretty good angle first to get a pile of dirt moving along to fill in the low spots, then rake. I don't do whole lawn installs usually, just new lawn areas and reclaimed areas and renovations. Around here the standards are so low for a new lawn install that it's hard to get the price you need to do it properly. On new homes, some lawns literally still have dozer track marks on them..they just backblade with the dozer and seed it with a contractor grade seed mix and it looks good enough for long enough to sell the place.

smokeeater
03-22-2010, 10:35 PM
I guess for me personally it's the only way, especially like I said, with the hard ground here. When I lived up where you are, the ground was much easier to work with, and grass grew much better. We can't even grow Kentucky Bluegrass down here, just a tri-blend of fescue. I used to have a lawn like a golf course in CT, about 1 1/2 acres of it, here I fight to keep my yard looking nice, about 3 1/2 acres of lawn! If you can ever afford and/or justify the skidsteer and Harley Rake, you would wonder what took so long for you to do it, although the tractors do have their place...by the way, where in the Northeast you from?

Darryl G
03-22-2010, 10:45 PM
I'm in CT down on the shore. Old Saybrook vicinity..about half way between Groton and New London.

smokeeater
03-22-2010, 10:59 PM
I grew up in Oakville, small town outside of Waterbury, but lived out in the Litchfield Hills in the NW corner in a town called Falls Village, I still miss it kind of, except for the long cold winters, but I was a Firefighter in Waterbury, best job in the world until the politicians get involved!

smokeeater
03-22-2010, 11:01 PM
Hey, how do you get the sig pic to be up where your name is??

Darryl G
03-22-2010, 11:41 PM
Yah, I know Falls Village...little bit snobby up there in my opinion. I know because the Appalachian Trail goes through there and I've hiked the whole trail was well as the sections around there more than once. It's where I stop and get supplies and all..there and Kent and Cornwall Bridge if I'm up that way. Most trail towns welcome hikers, they seem to look down on them in Falls Village. I don't mean to be insulting...maybe they just don't like smelly grubby looking people, lol.

Sorry to get off topic.

smokeeater
03-22-2010, 11:52 PM
The trail does go through there, but I've never known people to be that way there. Now the next town over, Salisbury...forget about it! Thaso people are real snobby mostly from NYC and think they have more money than God. For the years I lived in Falls Village, the people there were just good old blue collar workers and farmers, I'm surprised to hear of your experience, even Kent seems pretty snobbish to me too. I was back for vacation last year up there. Me and some friends went out riding motorcycles for the day, stopped in Kent for lunch, then remembered why I didn't like it there!

TwoBrosLawn
03-31-2010, 06:56 AM
*RANT*Reading these posts make me laugh, first off this 16 year old kid is using his families equipment with no name, license or insurance is calling himself a business..hardly. You can def. tell he is 16 because his grammer and inability to spell properly shows and he types like hes texting...lol.
In my opinion this job is way over your head and you do not have anything to back you up when/if it fails, insurance, proper licensing...etc and to sit here and tell seasoned PROFESSIONALS that you don't need a business name or a license is retarted. Kids like you make this industry look bad.

I mow in est
03-31-2010, 10:58 PM
*RANT*Reading these posts make me laugh, first off this 16 year old kid is using his families equipment with no name, license or insurance is calling himself a business..hardly. You can def. tell he is 16 because his grammer and inability to spell properly shows and he types like hes texting...lol.
In my opinion this job is way over your head and you do not have anything to back you up when/if it fails, insurance, proper licensing...etc and to sit here and tell seasoned PROFESSIONALS that you don't need a business name or a license is retarted. Kids like you make this industry look bad.

this post hasnt been used in a while, idc ne more, i looked at the yard the other day n im doin it, it aint much work, its already been leveled and everything, and it has grass, so all he wants me todo is to aerate seed and fertilize , then take the freeloader and push some trees over nothing hard , easy money, btw i dont even text but maybe one or twice a day... O and BTW u cant spell ****** right roflmfao

Darryl G
03-31-2010, 11:32 PM
Nice, so you wasted all of our time trying to help you because you posted without having your facts straight!

smokeeater
04-01-2010, 12:03 AM
Chalk it up to immaturity!

I mow in est
04-01-2010, 10:13 PM
well at the time the guy was making it sound like a really big job..... but it aint gonna be bad

Darryl G
04-01-2010, 11:24 PM
I couldn't find where he thanked those of us to tried to helped him or apologized for wasting our time by not doing his homework first...instead he cops an attitude...last time I'll help him!!!!

dKoester
04-01-2010, 11:29 PM
Training wheels are still on.

I mow in est
04-02-2010, 11:27 PM
I couldn't find where he thanked those of us to tried to helped him or apologized for wasting our time by not doing his homework first...instead he cops an attitude...last time I'll help him!!!!

sorry yall, DEFENITLY thanks, :drinkup:

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
04-03-2010, 03:26 AM
worst thread ever. i feel bad for darryl who actually tried to help u. he gave u some good insight and u took it for granted. people like u suuuuuckkkkkk