PDA

View Full Version : Turfscapes

CSLC
03-21-2010, 12:45 AM
Here is a few jobs I have done. I am open for constructive criticism....:usflag:

CSLC
03-21-2010, 12:49 AM
Rustic Walk way

CSLC
03-21-2010, 12:50 AM
I have more to come....So please comment

glaciator
03-21-2010, 10:48 AM
The brick looks ok. I'm not partial to manufactured stone. Is the brick salvaged old brick or new? I like natural stone much better.

CSLC
03-21-2010, 11:22 AM
The brick are new. Its a clay paver. The customer wanted to make it look like it was before we ripped it up. The difference is that we used poly sand and the old walk way was mortared. I think it came out well. I don't mind working with ether one. They both can be fun....

tthomass
03-21-2010, 05:05 PM
The brick matches well, ties in as if its been there a long time + once the grass fills in. The stoop needs flagstone.

DVS Hardscaper
03-21-2010, 06:06 PM
The porch (steps) need handrails to meet the local building code.

In the event the owner's great aunt Helen falls down those steps, guess who's liable.

You have 5 rises. Some counties say you needs rails with 2 risers or more. Some counties say 3 risers or more. You have 5, so I am 99.9% sure you're not in compliance.

When we do jobs without safety rails I'll stick the following into the contract:

Handrails / Safety Rails
Handrails / Safety rails are to be fabricated, furnished, and installed by others. However, contractor can sub-contract this service to a qualified iron fabricator/installer for additional fees not included in the Agreement Amount stated below

CSLC
03-21-2010, 06:10 PM
I am not looking for that kind of criticism lol..... These are jobs I have done for workinig for a company I am not the owner. Other wise I would have included that into the contract. There were not hand rails on the old set...I was told to build them exactly the same as they were before. The old ones were just solid pore concrete but the ny weather was starting to eat them up. So we did versa-lock double face silverstone with limestone caps. The brick is browns charcoal blend 4x8's

Crash
03-21-2010, 06:13 PM
Looks good...but on the porch did you stagger your seams? Looks like they're right on top of one another.

CSLC
03-21-2010, 08:54 PM
The customer did not want staggered seams...sometimes you just have to go against how it is suppose to be...You know...

CSLC
03-21-2010, 09:00 PM
Walk way done at my dad's house. 4x8's sahara chestnut cambridge. Started as a Horizontal running bond and ended up looking like a vertical running bond.

DVS Hardscaper
03-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Conforming with building codes is NOT optional when it comes to professionalism. Many of us go to great strides to operate in an ethical and professional manner. As professionals it's our duty to point out such issues - not to nitpick, but to educate others.

As far as clients not wanting rails because there were no rails - that's all fine and dandy.....as long as you have a clause in the contract such as the aforementioned example I provided.

As professionals, it's our responsibility and obligation to say "no we must do this", or "no, we can't do that", and then follow it up with a detailed explanation as to why or why not. if we did everything that a homeowner wanted us to do or didn't want us to do we'd probably would have long been shut down by the state.

CSLC
03-21-2010, 10:43 PM
And as I stated before I work for a company. I have no pull when it comes to what we can and cant do. If I don't do it then I get no pay. It's not my company. My name is not on the side of the trucks. So there for it's not my problem. So stop jumping down my throat. I understand where you are coming from trust me I do....

Bru75
03-22-2010, 12:32 AM
The customer did not want staggered seams...sometimes you just have to go against how it is suppose to be...You know...

Why would you ever go against how it is supposed to be? It's supposed to be that way for a reason.

Bru75
03-22-2010, 12:36 AM
Maybe it's just me, but that walk with all of the little pieces along the edge and no border course makes my eyes hurt.

Crash
03-22-2010, 12:39 AM
Maybe it's just me, but that walk with all of the little pieces along the edge and no border course makes my eyes hurt.

Ya I always like running a solider course exactly for that reason.

CSLC
03-22-2010, 01:32 AM
because I capped those stairs twice I did it with the staggered joints and the customer did not want them i was back doing it again the other way....My dad did not want a soldier course, I tried to talk him into it but he did not want it...

CSLC
03-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Got some more work coming....

PatriotLandscape
03-23-2010, 09:02 PM

My fathers doctor once said "if you dont stop smoking and start eating right you won't make it to 50." he died at 49. no lie. I guess he should have listened to the expert on the subject.

CSLC
03-24-2010, 12:44 AM
But like I said I work for somebody...I just do what I am told. I know work for a company that likes to do things the right way and listens to his workers. These are all pics from the old company.

Paver Gangster
03-25-2010, 02:35 AM
Nice pix, lotsa cuts.

I'd make picture one walkway just sliiiighty wider. If two people pass each other, someones stepping on the grass.

A.Landscaping
03-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Nice pix, lotsa cuts.

I'd make picture one walkway just sliiiighty wider. If two people pass each other, someones stepping on the grass.

Looks good :clapping: But i agree on making it wider.

CSLC
04-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Brownstone Versa-Lok Mosiac wall. It is about 300-350' wall and 5 an half foot high. Took about 3 weeks from start to finish. Wall has geo-grid, drainage, #2 rounds all the way up until about 6 inches.

killerbee133
04-03-2010, 11:47 AM
I was just curious where is your drainage?

CSLC
04-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Its tied into a huge drywell about middle of the wall. I know your not suppose to do it that way but that is what the boss man told me to do. So that is what I did.....

killerbee133
04-04-2010, 01:56 AM
Yea I can see why he would do that. In new york on a wall like that would you typically use pvc or perforated tile? I only use perforated i really havn't had a reason to use pvc. I see some people do it though.

CSLC
04-04-2010, 09:54 AM
Its all 4" Socked perforated drain tile.

CSLC
07-03-2012, 05:28 PM
So I have since starteed my own company since the last time I have posted on this thread. I have plenty of pictures to post. I am looking for some help with contracts and estimates writing.....

zedosix
07-03-2012, 11:33 PM
First project you posted really needs to have the cap stones extend past the main riser blocks. Just doesn't look finished. Try using a different capstone next time. Also I'm not sure why you had to cut both ends of the caps it looks like you could of used only one cut per row instead of two.
Walkway really doesn't look professional imo, if you were looking for a runner pattern then I would of done just that, follow one brick after another following the curve.
Retaining wall would of looked awesome in natural stone, there just seems to be so much .....wall. Maybe it just needs some border planting...

DVS Hardscaper
07-04-2012, 12:45 PM
So I have since starteed my own company since the last time I have posted on this thread. I have plenty of pictures to post. I am looking for some help with contracts and estimates writing.....

You are at the best forum there is for such information.

Do an extensive search on my user name,
I write about this extensively.
Posted via Mobile Device

jonesy5149
07-04-2012, 06:12 PM
The first pic with the steps..
The block that is used for the side of your steps...
Is it me or all the block stacked so there is no offset on the joints?.

zedosix
07-04-2012, 06:15 PM

His dad told him to do it that way. :)

jonesy5149
07-04-2012, 06:30 PM
Thats too bad.
So who will fix it down the road?

big daddy b
07-04-2012, 06:37 PM
What's the new company?
I'm also in Syracuse, was just wondering, maybe I've seen you around somewhere.

TriCountyLawn
07-04-2012, 06:39 PM
You are at the best forum there is for such information.

Do an extensive search on my user name,
I write about this extensively.
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS . Do you have a picture thread ?

jonesy5149
07-04-2012, 06:43 PM
What's the new company?
I'm also in Syracuse, was just wondering, maybe I've seen you around somewhere.

You can fix it for him:)

jbailey52
07-04-2012, 09:39 PM

Good eye. I didn't see that at first. But I'm sure the homeowner did not want staggered bond lines.

jonesy5149
07-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Good eye. I didn't see that at first. But I'm sure the homeowner did not want staggered bond lines.
I'm sure if you educate the home owner on why you should not have the bond line lining up on wall block. That would have not happen
I would say that would be a cost to home owner 3k to 5k. So you would think they would last them as long as there in the house if not longer. You also wonder did he waterproof the concrete behind the steps and when the door rots out
who will take the hit. The hard scape industry's.
He said its not his comply why should he care!!!
Well my freind you are fired and probably have no passion in what you do..
I very surprised that (sry DVS) did not tare you a new as$ to the O.P.

CSLC
07-05-2012, 09:09 AM
My company is Cold Spring Landscapes & Construction.
It's funny that everyone is so quick to judge other peoples work, and say what if this, what if that. And down grade someone's work. These jobs in the thread early on are work of a diff company that I worked for. Most of everything was done by my self and self taught. The company I worked for did not take the time to teach because they were to "busy". I have since then learned alot from my own mistakes. If I could go back knowing what I know today compaired to knowing what I knew then. Wouldn't we all be better off as a whole? It's a good thing I can take constructive criticism very well!!!

DVS Hardscaper
07-05-2012, 12:34 PM
My company is Cold Spring Landscapes & Construction.
It's funny that everyone is so quick to judge other peoples work, and say what if this, what if that. And down grade someone's work. These jobs in the thread early on are work of a diff company that I worked for. Most of everything was done by my self and self taught. The company I worked for did not take the time to teach because they were to "busy". I have since then learned alot from my own mistakes. If I could go back knowing what I know today compaired to knowing what I knew then. Wouldn't we all be better off as a whole? It's a good thing I can take constructive criticism very well!!!

Then if you posted these pics years ago, saying you were an employee then - and you since gone out on your own - then you had a company name way back when?

As far as picking at people's work - it should be expected when you post pics on an industry forum, this is not Facebook where all your family will say encouraging things.

When you post pics on an industry forum - you are then an American Idol contestant and should expect the truth :)

Posted via Mobile Device

CSLC
07-05-2012, 03:49 PM
As far as starting a company, the company is new like feb 2012 new. When I get home I will post pics of my work. I am not looking for encouring uplifting comments. But one is so easy to judge yet they dont post thier stuff for people to critique either. Now onto my question. I am looking for cost job sheets and estimating forms. Anybody want to help out a brother out? Just looking for templates and ideas...

DVS Hardscaper
07-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Here is a few jobs I have done. I am open for constructive criticism....:usflag:

..........:weightlifter:

big daddy b
07-09-2012, 09:22 PM
So where are the new and recent pictures?

CSLC
07-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Been super busy the last week will post when I get home tonight....

CSLC
07-19-2012, 10:41 PM
Here are some pics for you to critique

jwilkers2vt
07-19-2012, 10:46 PM
... Now onto my question. I am looking for cost job sheets and estimating forms. Anybody want to help out a brother out? Just looking for templates and ideas...

These are a good starting point...maybe a little much, but you get a pretty good idea. I use something similar, and it is very helpful for costing/record keeping.

http://www.pavetech.com/pdf/JobInfoSheet_DailyReport.pdf

jonesy5149
07-19-2012, 11:02 PM
Last pic..... The corner..... The block seams...... You have nice work
Why not make sure it last a life time:)
Posted via Mobile Device

jonesy5149
07-19-2012, 11:03 PM
Do you use XL software
Posted via Mobile Device

CSLC
07-24-2012, 10:43 AM