PDA

View Full Version : Big Dog Mowers... Anyone Seen These Yet?

ProcsLC
03-21-2010, 10:53 AM
I've known him (my dealer) for years and he told me about a new commercial mower but MUCH cheaper then what I currently have now (ferris and snappers) that he just picked up the product line for...

It looks like a residential zt, no where near as heavy as a snapper/ferris, but has a kawa motor and prices starting at:

42" 2995.00
48" 4200.00
54" 4500.00

Has aonyone else seen these or run one? I was looking at the smaller ZT for 3k... would be nice on some of my smaller yards, might have to go demo one of these for a week but wanted to see if anyone else has had any expeience with one on here...

Any thoughts?

MikeKle
03-21-2010, 11:10 AM
They had an ad in Turf magazine, and Ive never seen a homeowner model of any mower in that magazine.

ProcsLC
03-21-2010, 12:19 PM
Just reading over the flyer my dealer handed me... They say its a commercial mower and comes with a commercial use warranty... This would be MUCH cheaper then any other commercial mower we've used before...

Just wondering if anyone else has used one yet? I was planning on upgrading to a larger walk behind, but for the same cash can get a ZT rider?! Guess I'm gonna have to demo this big dog and write a review of it on here....

hockeyman20
03-21-2010, 12:24 PM
Just reading over the flyer my dealer handed me... They say its a commercial mower and comes with a commercial use warranty... This would be MUCH cheaper then any other commercial mower we've used before...

Just wondering if anyone else has used one yet? I was planning on upgrading to a larger walk behind, but for the same cash can get a ZT rider?! Guess I'm gonna have to demo this big dog and write a review of it on here....
I demoed one from a dealer in Conneticut. I felt it was a good machine. Plus it has a kawi engine. I think this is a good machine

rcslawncare
03-21-2010, 12:29 PM
For those prices, you could get 3 48" for the same price of a 60" zero turn like some of them are going!! Id demo it and take a look!!

castlerockmo
03-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Arn`t they a Hustler brand or somrthing?

Lbilawncare
03-21-2010, 01:00 PM
I was told that they were made by Hustler, much like Land Pride mowers.

castlerockmo
03-21-2010, 01:09 PM
I have seen one in person last month at a show. They kinda look like the old husqvarna`s to me. I am sure they are good mowers, cant be any worse than bad boy.

topsites
03-21-2010, 02:06 PM
There is almost always a reason for cheap, this machine is probably no exception.

ProcsLC
03-21-2010, 02:13 PM
There is almost always a reason for cheap, this machine is probably no exception.

I agree with this statement, and I am almost "waiting" for their to be something wrong with them... BUT, I'm not sure yet... It just kind of seems like a bare bones mower, nothing fancy, which is maybe why its cheaper... Think I may just have to go and grab one for a week and test it out and see for myself... The idea of only paying 3K for a NEW commercial mower would be great, at this price I would buy a new one every freaking year!

gene gls
03-21-2010, 08:03 PM
I agree with this statement, and I am almost "waiting" for their to be something wrong with them... BUT, I'm not sure yet... It just kind of seems like a bare bones mower, nothing fancy, which is maybe why its cheaper... Think I may just have to go and grab one for a week and test it out and see for myself... The idea of only paying 3K for a NEW commercial mower would be great, at this price I would buy a new one every freaking year!

Arn't they made in China, like Red Hawk?

flman
03-22-2010, 10:43 AM
These are the original Hustler Sport, Fastrack, and Hustler Z with the new features of engine location, roll bar, etc. but with very few options.
They have a website www.bigdogmowers.com .

They are made by Excel, who makes Hustler in Kansas. Not China.:nono:

hockeyman20
03-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Arn`t they a Hustler brand or somrthing?

yep they are

Rockchalk Mowing
03-18-2011, 12:24 AM
Big Dog mowers are made by Excell in Hesston, KS at the same facility as Hustler mowers.
They share frame and many other integral parts. The primary difference is that Big Dogs use drive motors, pumps, transmissions etc. that were current equipment on Hustler models from 5 or 6 years ago. Of course this allows for a lower retail but in my opinion doesn't make them any less "commercial". If you compare the weight to current Hustlers they are very similar, which speaks to the build quality. I'm still running an 04 hustler with basically the same equipment and have no issues with it.

I think these are a great option for smaller outfits or for those on a smaller budget.

Hell on Blades
03-18-2011, 01:36 AM
I wish I would have seen this last year-- I paid more for my Turf Tracer.

rwaters
03-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Big Dog mowers are made by Excell in Hesston, KS at the same facility as Hustler mowers.
They share frame and many other integral parts. The primary difference is that Big Dogs use drive motors, pumps, transmissions etc. that were current equipment on Hustler models from 5 or 6 years ago. Of course this allows for a lower retail but in my opinion doesn't make them any less "commercial". If you compare the weight to current Hustlers they are very similar, which speaks to the build quality. I'm still running an 04 hustler with basically the same equipment and have no issues with it.

I think these are a great option for smaller outfits or for those on a smaller budget.

I looked at Big Dog when I brought in Hustler Big dog is about the same price as the Hustler but without the warranty or finance programs. When I took them apples to apples the Hustler was cheaper so I brought in Hustler.

Mark Oomkes
03-18-2011, 10:01 AM

Yeah, that whole "You get what you pay for" concept. :dancing:

GMLC
03-18-2011, 10:10 AM
Another "entry level" or "value" mower. Only time will tell.

Mark Oomkes
03-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Anyone purchasing one, make sure to have it dyno'ed so as to prevent yourself from getting screwed by 1/4 HP.

GMLC
03-18-2011, 10:32 AM
Anyone purchasing one, make sure to have it dyno'ed so as to prevent yourself from getting screwed by 1/4 HP.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: But I could make $15.00.

PerfectEarth
11-13-2014, 09:29 PM
I like the single wheel caster in front of the deck. HAHA.

Armsden&Son
11-13-2014, 09:29 PM
I have nothing against Big Dog, I actually think those lights are cool but It's definitely not the first ZTR to have a flip up deck...

Obviously the Walker has a flip up deck and while the Walker is considered a "front mount," it's still a ZTR...

You might have meant to say "the first flip deck on a mid mount."....

But this is actually false also because Country Clipper has offered the flip up deck in their mid mounts for years....

But again, cool idea with the lights!