PDA

View Full Version : Chickweed

mikegbuff
03-21-2010, 01:02 PM
I did a search, read through some posts and got some good ideas on eradicating Chickweed from Bermuda. Wanted to pose the question in a different manner. I have a 26,000 sq ft Bermuda lawn that we closely follow the Lesco recommended maintenance schedule on. We're coming up on the 2nd PRE-M application in a few weeks. This particular lawn has an abundance of Chickweed. I sprayed all I saw with Roundup on the last PRE-M application in February while the Bermuda was dormant. That was killed but now it's back with a force. Is there any Weed and Feed or anything else you would substitute for the next PRE-M application in April to help get rid of the Chickweed? This is the only weed problem we have here with the exception of a few wild onions. Crabgrass has never been an issue. It's just too much to spray with backpack sprayers. I don't want to lose this customer and I want to know if my only option is to hire someone with a broadcast sprayer to spray the entire yard. Also, is there any type of pre-emergent I could use in the future to prevent this problem?
Thanks for any help.

Think Green
03-21-2010, 02:05 PM
Mike,
If you carry a herbicide license then you will discover that roundup applied during the dormant season will only control the green growing vegetation that is present. You stated using Pre-M--Is this Pendimethalin or did you state using gly as a part of a preemerge application? It is unclear to me!!!
Gly has no residual activity on the soil the prevent anything. Pendimethalin will have some preemerge control. Split apps at the label rates and timing is appropriate. As far as a preemerge, then pendimethalin-Prodiamine-Dimension is used for preemerge control. Postemerge control is something like speedzone-trimec-coolpower-4-power,etc.
Everyone has their own vises for applications. I stay away from granular applications. So, liquid is the only way to go for us.

Turf Dawg
03-21-2010, 03:05 PM
I do not know much about your area, but I have better luck using a Gallery type pre m for broad leaves in Sept. Some of your other pre m's that or for mainly crabgrass do not control as many broadleaves as good.

mikegbuff
03-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Think Green,
Right, I was using the Roundup to control the present Chickweed. I wasn't expecting any residual control for future weeds. I use Roundup on my Bermuda's during the dormant season when I'm there for the scheduled maintenance and found it very effective to control what is present. I should have been more specific. I just assumed everyone is familiar with the Lesco schedule because that's what everyone around here is familiar with.
Yes, the PRE-M is Pendimethalin - see links.
December/February - http://lesco.com/NoCompression/GetData.aspx?Type=ProdResource&ID=7602&.pdf
April - http://lesco.com/NoCompression/GetData.aspx?Type=ProdResource&ID=7584&.pdf
Both of these are labeled PRE-M for chickweed also. That's why I was kinda surprised at how little help it's been the last two years.
I've never used any granular for post-emergent control with any success. I just wondered if anyone else has had any luck. Most of our customers' lawns are small enough to use backpack sprayers on, but not this one with the amount of weeds it has.

Turf Dawg,
Lesco does not have us on any in the fall, just December/February/April. Good info on doing it in the fall. I wonder if December too late for my area (South Carolina).

stephen424
03-24-2010, 08:52 PM
if you're following Lesco's program, you should be applying 0-0-7 right now and then 18-0-6 in May

mikegbuff
03-24-2010, 09:16 PM
Here's what they have us on.

Lesco Bermuda Schedule

2nd week February to early March - 0-0-7 12,500 sq ft/bag (Item #088581)

2nd week April to early May - 25-2-5 12,500 sq ft/bag (Item #088515)

1st week June - 28-5-12 14,000 sq ft/bag (Item #026628)

July - (optional) 20% iron 10,000 sq ft/bag

August - 28-5-12 14,000 sq ft/bag (Item #026628)

September - 5-10-20 12,500 sq ft/bag (Item #088494)

November or December - 0-0-7 12,500 sq ft/bag (Item #088581)

haro1997
03-30-2010, 12:37 PM
Try your December pre-emergent application a little earlier in the fall, say maybe late October. This will lay down protection before the chickweed germinates I think. You could try a "weed and feed" application in place of the April pre-emergent and probably have some success. Liquid application would be better, but 26,000 sq ft is a lot of spraying that the customer may not wanna pay for.
David