03-21-2010, 05:18 PM
1. pieris japonica
2. um.......an azalea.

CLARK LAWN
03-21-2010, 07:05 PM
looks kinda like azalea

twobroslawns
03-21-2010, 08:28 PM
The last one might be but I have no idea what the first one is.
Thanks for the quick response.

ICT Bill
03-21-2010, 09:57 PM
perfect earth had it right
Japonica

A very nice shade tolerant shrub, the bees love them first thing in the season, very hardy

Just core aerated?? please top dress with compost on that clay soil you will not believe the difference it makes

twobroslawns
03-22-2010, 06:26 AM
Thanks for your help. As far as the aeration - we just built a shed so we HAD to aerate, the ground was hard as a rock from walking all over it. Was going to topdress, but it raiined

twobroslawns
03-22-2010, 06:44 AM
1. pieris japonica
2. um.......an azalea.

Yep, thats right. Thanks for your help!

Kevin M.
03-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Japonica ? thats a cultivar of camellias which is a beautiful winter flowering shrub here in the southeast and all the way over to texas

twobroslawns
03-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Gracias!:waving:

Dreams To Designs
03-22-2010, 06:59 PM
Pieris japonica, Japanese pieris, Japanese andromeda
Azalea mucronatum, Snow azalea, very likely Delaware Valley White.

Kirk

Kevin M.
03-22-2010, 07:08 PM
Hey I learn something everyday since we dont have that cultivar of azaleas here down south and I mean the deep south

Dreams To Designs
03-22-2010, 07:18 PM
Above was a moment of delirium...

Rhododendron mucronatum, Snow azalea, very likely Delaware Valley White azalea

Kevin, they are very hardy here and stay greener than the smaller leafed azalea's who's leaves tend to turn bronze the colder the winter. They do need regular pruning or they get leggy and need to be rejuvenated.

Kirk

twobroslawns
03-22-2010, 08:59 PM

Kevin, they are very hardy here and stay greener than the smaller leafed azalea's who's leaves tend to turn bronze the colder the winter. They do need regular pruning or they get leggy and need to be rejuvenated.

Kirk

Would one go about pruning this snow azalea like a regular azalea? Same time? I just picked up tis account and it has a lot of wierd stuff thats not in my area. Waaaay overgrown...:nono:

twobroslawns
03-22-2010, 09:01 PM

Kirk

And ya defiantly leggy. The last LCO cut it with hedge clippers so it looks awful.

Dreams To Designs
03-23-2010, 10:40 AM
If you can wait until after it flowers, i can be cut back hard if necessary, but not with powered hedge shears. Use hand pruners or loppers and selectively prune. Start with dead, dying or diseased, followed by crossing branches, and thin or head back as needed. Take the time to step back and look at what your shape and size will be after each step. Please make sure your tools are sharp & clean, whether or have a good set of Felcos, or any other pruner, lopper or shears.

Kirk

twobroslawns
03-23-2010, 08:20 PM
Excellent! Thanks for all the help and advice!:clapping: