PDA

View Full Version : 14" gas chop saw or fixed saw?

xtreem3d
03-21-2010, 06:23 PM
hi guys,
does anyone regret buying one over the other? pro's cons? both my choices are edcos,...HSS series or GMS series
TIA
steve

Crash
03-21-2010, 06:26 PM
We use both kinds(MK fixed, Stihl & EFCO chop). Different conditions call for different saws. They both work great for their purposes.

xtreem3d
03-21-2010, 06:37 PM
hi kyle,
what condition would warrant a chop saw over a regular saw?
steve

Crash
03-21-2010, 06:50 PM
hi kyle,
what condition would warrant a chop saw over a regular saw?
steve

Well I can't speak for everyone, but for us I find it easiest and safest to use the MK table saws for most patio and walkway bricks. It seems to go much faster and be more productive. Now when we are doing big retaining walls or steps or stuff like that, we use one of our gas powered handheld saws for the thicker bricks. I just think the big 14" cut-offs are a little overkill for patio brick, they work good but man, that's an easy way to cut a toe off. Plus, you set up your table saw downwind from where you're working, one guy marks and lays, one guy cuts, you don't gotta worry about holding on to the big chop saw and it jerkin sideways or something.

It's all personal preference, they both have their uses.

BrandonV
03-21-2010, 07:20 PM
i'd agree with both as well... that and some of the larger pavers its easier to lay it, scribe it and cut in place.

xtreem3d
03-21-2010, 09:29 PM
hi guys,
i'm not talking about a"demolition" type saw like my stihl 420 but a 14" table type saw that can move like a chop saw unlike a regular 14" table saw, like the gas one shown here http://www.edcoinc.com/docs/products/masonry-hardscape-tilesaws/Masonry_broch.pdf
steve

Crash
03-21-2010, 09:47 PM
hi guys,
i'm not talking about a"demolition" type saw like my stihl 420 but a 14" table type saw that can move like a chop saw unlike a regular 14" table saw, like the gas one shown here http://www.edcoinc.com/docs/products/masonry-hardscape-tilesaws/Masonry_broch.pdf
steve

Chop saw hands down...I don't see a reason for the other one.

DVS Hardscaper
03-21-2010, 10:39 PM
EDCO is the only way to go.

xtreem3d
03-21-2010, 11:20 PM
EDCO is the only way to go.

i agree but which one and why?
steve

DVS Hardscaper
03-22-2010, 10:28 AM
It's like this:

A painter does not have just one ladder or 1 paint brush. They will have various brushes for performing a variety of different functions.

Same goes for saws. My company is craftsmanship oriented. Craftsmanship derives from attention to detail. So, if you want clean, plumb, perfect cuts - a table saw will achieve this. If you're just concerned about cutting and don't care what the cuts look like - then use a chop saw. We have both.

xtreem3d
03-22-2010, 10:43 AM
is your "chop" saw a wet saw that has a sliding table and can be fixed into position like a "normal " saw would be. i might be confusing everyone by calling this saw http://www.edcoinc.com/docs/products/masonry-hardscape-tilesaws/Masonry_broch.pdf a chop saw...i guess it's more like a paver saw that can be used to chop saw with. i'm wanting to know from guys with more experience than me if i will ever get into a situatioin where i would wish i had the "chop saw" ability...seems like it would be a dual purpose saw..problem is i can't find them as easy as i can the normal 14" edco paver saw and wonder if i should hold out for that version...hope this makes sense,
steve
ps...this saw should make as good a cut as any other version correct?

DVS Hardscaper
03-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Our saw is a wet saw with the table that slides.

We used to have a saw where the blade moves up and down, but we never had a use for that feature. Thats something that is more personal preference.

Some like the toilet paper to hang over the front of the roll, some like it to hang over the back of the roll......

Crash
03-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Some like the toilet paper to hang over the front of the roll, some like it to hang over the back of the roll......

Hahaha...front :laugh:

Bru75
03-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Definitely front!