PDA

View Full Version : Shrub trimming help needed

jdutcher003
03-22-2010, 12:45 PM
I was just wondering how often do you think shrubs need to be trimmed in a year. I live in upstate New york. Most of my customers before said they just wanted them done once, but I have a customer now that said they want them to be trimmed like 3 times a year. Should I just use my judgement when they look bad?

Also, how do you all price the trimming of shrubs? I just gave them a flat rate per bush. I dont know if that is a good idea or not. what is the average you charge someone for like 10 bushes that are about 4 foot high by about 3 foot wide?
All input is appreciated. I feel like i got screwed before when pricing shrub trimming

Shasta Lake Landscaping
03-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Depends on what kind of shrubs and how picky the customer is, some we trim once before memorial day and there good all year, others we trim every visit. As far as rates it all depends on overhead and how much you want to make.

br549oicu8
03-22-2010, 02:10 PM
The above answer is correct. Some guys have no overhead and end up doing it cheap, sad to say. Also, quality and experience should be a factor. I'd pay more for a guy that has been doing it for 10 years than a new one with little experience. Main thing is to prove you can do a quality job and know the plant well enough to understand proper pruning or shearing techniques. Do more homework on how to do it than what to charge.