PDA

View Full Version : Line Voltage Tree Lighting

elegance_alex
03-22-2010, 04:16 PM
What do you guys think of this? BTW It's not my install, but I'd like to hear opinions. WOuld you do like this or differently?

JoeyD
03-22-2010, 05:05 PM
I think it could be done better.....but definitley not as bad as this!

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/lighting/untitled.jpg

elegance_alex
03-22-2010, 05:09 PM
LOL That is a goof!
Get points for creativity?

TXNSLighting
03-22-2010, 05:30 PM
Now thats a quality company right there...Wheres this at?

Classic Lighting
03-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Looks very unnatural does not blend. First thing that came to mind was snakes going up the tree

seolatlanta
03-23-2010, 12:15 AM
I do this type of moonlighting quite a bit and I have to say it doesnt look too bad . I dont know why he used such heavy guage SJ cord going up the trees. It would have been possible for him to run the power up the tree to the ballsts(s). At least he used watertights etc. It looks like he put the cords fastened to the tree way too tight.

I obviously dont know where this is , but it could be he was doing it according to code and / or regulations. It looks like it might be at a building or campus that might have wanted it that way.

Texas is the real home of mercury vapor lighting. I think the guys name is John Watson , and he invented the whole setup . If anybody else has any info feel free to chime in.

elegance_alex
03-23-2010, 05:58 PM
This is a recent installation at a museum courtyard in Ft Worth.
We bid the job in low voltage LED but didn't win.

NEC code discusses direct burial cable emerging from grade - requiring coverage up 8 feet. 2008 NEC 300.5 (D)1-4

The conduit coverage material is called "Seal-tite" - Liquidtight flexible non-metallic conduit (LFMC) and is described in NEC Article 350.
I don't know why this was done all the way to the fixtures, though, unless their boxes require a fitting at the installation location.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-23-2010, 06:28 PM
Looks to me that they were using 120V PAR20 MH lamps, fixtures and ballasts in that tree. Would explain the use of that horrid liquid-tite sheathing and the large boxes etc.

irrig8r
03-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Why the enormous junction boxes at the fixtures...?

That's the part that stands out the most to me.

Hard to camouflage that conduit, but it could have been painted some... I hope it's the view of the tree that is the least noticed...

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-23-2010, 06:48 PM
Why the enormous junction boxes at the fixtures...?

That's the part that stands out the most to me.

Hard to camouflage that conduit, but it could have been painted some... I hope it's the view of the tree that is the least noticed...

Those are where the electronic ballasts are for the Metal Halide lamps.

elegance_alex
03-23-2010, 06:53 PM
No, that's what is so sad I think. You can see all around this. It's in the center of a courtyard =used for weddings and receptions.

I dunno if you can paint the seal-tite.

JoeyD
03-23-2010, 07:45 PM
you can paint it but then it looks like painted seal tight...hahahah rip it out and install LV. You may be able to convert those lights to LV?

elegance_alex
03-23-2010, 07:59 PM
We bid it last November. We sent in 2 bids, one for low voltage and 1 for line voltage (we're licensed). They picked someone else. I went over last Monday because I heard the construction was complete and this is what they did.

I bid low voltage with a direct bury transformer and 9 tree mount 8.5 LEDs getting canopy and moonlighting down light effect. I had only 1 run of the seal-tite that went up 9 feet (I went the extra foot to the crotch of the tree), and there wouldn't have been any visible boxes. I dunno how they beat me but this looks ugly I think.

I'd like to know if anyone else does line voltage, and if so, how would you have done this job?

What do you think of the mounting straps?

RLDesign
03-24-2010, 11:10 AM
I think it could be done better.....but definitley not as bad as this!

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/lighting/untitled.jpg

OR as bad as this! This is some of our companies' best work from 1998.

Talk soon. Tanek

JoeyD
03-24-2010, 11:55 AM
unreal........lol.............

TXNSLighting
03-24-2010, 01:43 PM
wow..........

Pro-Scapes
03-30-2010, 10:21 AM
Mercury Vapor is HUGE here. I do see some pretty clean installations of it. They usually run the cord up the tree then mount the ballast high in the tree then the fixtures off on some limbs (mainly in tall pines)

While I do not care for the look (visable from several blocks to a half mile or more away and resembles a UFO landing on your house) the effect on the ground can be pleasing and useable if done right. I have never seen one of the bigger companies here that do Merc Vapors perform the sad work as pictured at this museum. That is really too bad that would have allowed someone to do this.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-30-2010, 10:39 AM
I have seen some of the Metal Halide PAR20 HID product used for Moonlighting but it is most suited for way high up in trees and buildings on commercial projects. It is much too bright to be installed in the application shown in those photos.

Mercury Vapor will not be so HUGE for much longer as the lamps have been pretty much discontinued now that we are in 2010. There will be a decent market for switching those lamps/ballasts over to Metal Halide as the MV lamps burn out.