PDA

View Full Version : Creeping Charlie!!!!!

POPO4995
03-22-2010, 10:44 PM
Can anyone help me figure out what is the best product for creeping charlie? I have a few customers with it and I really want to get rid of it. Any help is appreciated!

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-23-2010, 12:29 AM
I use Momemtum FX2 in warmer weather - 2 apps, and worked well for me.
Not nearly so good in cooler weather.

Most guys here will probably tell you to pull out the ester's.

Grandview
03-23-2010, 05:56 AM
I use Lesco Three-Way with Octane plus spreader/sticker. I use this because it is what I carry in my inventory. Three way is my main stay and Octane is a good enhancer. Quick Silver is another good enhancer. I get excellent results in the worst of conditions with one application. However I always tell customers it could take two or three. Fall after frost is the best time. But I hit it anytime customers want it gone. Surge, Speedzone, etc are all good. Most are 3-way spiked with something like Quick Silver. You need something to get past the waxy, fuzzy leaf.

RigglePLC
03-23-2010, 09:56 PM
I like Lesco Eliminate. (Something with triclopyr). Use the maximum. Add a heavy shot of surfactant or crop oil.

JoJo1990
03-24-2010, 12:29 AM
I agree. I always start with my Three-Way and check it again on the next visit. If the ground ivy was only knocked back but still kicking, hit it with triclopyr via spot spray and you should be set. A surfacant may help as well if it's not already pre-mixed with your product.

Young Bros
03-24-2010, 12:48 AM
I recommend 4-6 apps a year. T-zone in the cool weather and Surge in the warm weather. Our full service customers have no creeping charlie. We also use a sticker when fert in not in the mix.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-24-2010, 01:03 AM
Good ideas guys.
If I can add to the OP's thread...

What is a good, steady performer to knock out ground ivy that is not a HOT product i.e. you have to be so danged careful with it or the neighbor's tomatoes down the street fall over? I want to run something thru my PG that is all purpose, good in cool and warm weather (not necessarily HOT), and that won't get my boob in a ringer, yet will knock down ivy good with one (preferrably) or two apps.

Young Bros
03-24-2010, 01:17 AM
Good ideas guys.

What is a good, steady performer to knock out ground ivy that is not a HOT product i.e. you have to be so danged careful with it or the neighbor's tomatoes down the street fall over? I want to run something thru my PG that is all purpose, good in cool and warm weather (not necessarily HOT), and that won't get my boob in a ringer, yet will knock down ivy good with one (preferrably) or two apps.

The best I found is surge for all seasons. Sometimes creeper is knocked out in 1-2 consectutive apps. Depends on the growing condition weather ect. We recommend to the customer 4-6 becuase sometimes it takes more apps. Plus they get free service calls.

JoJo1990
03-24-2010, 01:31 AM
I still think triclopyr alone is one of the best products for ground ivy. Even at the lower label rates it performs awesome. The University of MI and MN also suggest it.

The U of M also did some experimenting use laundry Borax. It works, but has also harmed grass if the conditions aren't perfect. Since ground ivy spreads by stolons and rhizomes, any little bit left behind after culitivation will sprout right back. This stuff laughs at 2-4D alone.

FdLLawnMan
03-24-2010, 08:34 AM
Good ideas guys.

I think Fx2 with sticker to be great for ivy. It is a little slow when cold but does work. I have gotten rid of it with one application. Usually if a customer has it the neighbor has it and if they are not spraying for it will keep creeping into the yard you are treating.
Three-Way will work. just not as good as Fx2, that is why if I have Three-Way in my tank and see ivy I will do the same thing Grandview does, add some Octane.
The Fluroxypr in Fx2 and Triclopyr in other sprays are excellent herbicides overall.

Grandview
03-24-2010, 10:22 AM
I still think triclopyr alone is one of the best products for ground ivy.

I agree that triclopyr is great on ground ivy. I have used it with great results. I just do not want to inventory one more product.

Grandview
03-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Good ideas guys.

I do not consider any of these products hot. It sounds like you have drifting issues. Consider using Interlock. I get it from the local Co-op. It really reduces drifting. Also do not spray when temps get above 90. I do not like spraying when temps are above 85.

FdLLawnMan
03-24-2010, 11:15 AM
I do not consider any of these products hot. It sounds like you have drifting issues. Consider using Interlock. I get it from the local Co-op. It really reduces drifting. Also do not spray when temps get above 90. I do not like spraying when temps are above 85.

Grandview, he is talking about ester products like Speedzone. I agree with him on not using ester products. For as many properties I have to do in different conditions I rally shy away from esters. I really did a job on some shrubs and roses one time and it was not over-spray. It was from the volitization of the product during the night. I have never had an issue with amine's.

Young Bros
03-24-2010, 11:35 AM
I still think triclopyr alone is one of the best products for ground ivy. Even at the lower label rates it performs awesome. The University of MI and MN also suggest it.

The U of M also did some experimenting use laundry Borax. It works, but has also harmed grass if the conditions aren't perfect. Since ground ivy spreads by stolons and rhizomes, any little bit left behind after culitivation will sprout right back. This stuff laughs at 2-4D alone.

T-Zone has triclopyr in it, so does chaser I think. They are ester based so we use in cool weather. I heard you should NEVER us Borax because it can linger in the soil for years.

Grandview
03-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Grandview, he is talking about ester products like Speedzone. I agree with him on not using ester products. For as many properties I have to do in different conditions I rally shy away from esters. I really did a job on some shrubs and roses one time and it was not over-spray. It was from the volitization of the product during the night. I have never had an issue with amine's.

Would not consider using an ester. I do not need them and not worth the risk. He will have drifting issues with his Permagreen, even with amines. Interlock will help a lot.

greendoctor
03-24-2010, 01:37 PM
T-Zone has triclopyr in it, so does chaser I think. They are ester based so we use in cool weather. I heard you should NEVER us Borax because it can linger in the soil for years.

In another time, the standard for bare ground weed control was 10-20 lb of borax per 1000 sq ft.

JoJo1990
03-24-2010, 06:29 PM
This link is for the sole purpose of education. I have never tried borax on ground ivy and based on further research, I don't believe I would. However, it never hurts to see and learn what other people have tried.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/h519borax.html

lush&green
03-24-2010, 08:12 PM
Does anyone have experience with t-zone herbicide? Is the cost similar to speedzone? Just saw it the other day..

Young Bros
03-24-2010, 09:54 PM
Does anyone have experience with t-zone herbicide? Is the cost similar to speedzone? Just saw it the other day..

T-Zone is slightly more per gallon than Speed Zone. Last fall when it came out we used it. Today just got 10 gallons of T-Zone. We have mostly switched from Speed Zone to T-Zone because of the violet problems in our lawns. Seems to work good on creeper too.