PDA

View Full Version : SAFARI Trunk Sprays: Anyone doing these?

whoopassonthebluegrass
03-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Found out Mauget system can't handle the smaller trees I work on - for bores, and the like.

Mauget Rep recommended trunk sprays using Safari.

Is anyone doing this?

bug-guy
03-23-2010, 05:21 PM
if i remember correctly it is in the same family as arena and aloft. neo-nicotines. you spray the truck of the tree chest level and down and the chemical will travel VERY quickly into the upper tree.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
03-23-2010, 05:56 PM
You use Pentra Bark as a surfactant. I looked into basal bark sprays a few years back using imidicloprid, but I was not sold on how well it really works. Don't want to end up with dead trees I supposedly protected... Small trees are tough though-Most people don't care to save them is what I have found. If they are that small, they want to replace it with another tree that is less prone to problems. Soil injection is an option also.

Kevin M.
03-23-2010, 07:43 PM
You can also do bark sprays for borers with onyx and dont need pentra bark. Since the borers are damaging the tree why not try to sell the client on liquid fertilizing the tree to save the tree and you would have to do this spray every 90 days -- at least here in the south -- and fertilize the tree at least one time per year and hit them with slow release high nitrogen fertilizer. Yeah I know I will be crucified for not doing a soil test but the trees are under stress and you gotta make them happy and healthy and make your pocketbook happy when the client pays you ! This is a major and I mean MAJOR part of my phc business is when I can always look forward to those calls and emails when the clients renew there programs. This year I am right at about 90% of my phc sales for last year from all of the renewals I sent out.

SeedPro
03-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Commonly referred to by old timers as a trunk wash.

I usually trunk wash all trees I spray just out of habit.

whoopassonthebluegrass
03-23-2010, 08:57 PM
Wow. The cost of Safari is ludicrous.

Based on the heavy application rate (which is all that EVER seems to work with insecticides around here), a friggin' 3" diameter tree would still require $12 of chemical each!! And that's not counting PentraBark!

For a 12-14 week application, that's absolutely ridiculous. I'm going to have to turn in a bid with a $500 minimum to cover my arse.

A.T.A.K
03-23-2010, 10:02 PM
Well we use a ton of it with great sucess with only one application. It is considered a super systemic so it moves through the tree very rapidly. I operate out of Florida so I can only say for our region. There are 2 types of Safari WG and G both work well and equally fast by them self. I can go on but don't write huge write ups on here anymore read up it's well worth the money.

whoopassonthebluegrass
03-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Well we use a ton of it with great sucess with only one application. It is considered a super systemic so it moves through the tree very rapidly. I operate out of Florida so I can only say for our region. There are 2 types of Safari WG and G both work well and equally fast by them self. I can go on but don't write huge write ups on here anymore read up it's well worth the money.

I don't doubt its efficacy one bit. I read a bunch and it seems like an awesome product. I just know with 90% accuracy there's no way on God's green earth I'm gonna get this guy to shell out that much dough for all his trees...

And I'm sure not going to buy a $400 product unless I've got the business lined up to cover my expenses and profits and utilize most/all the material.

Kevin M.
03-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Hey whoopass why not use Onyx which is basically the same stuff as Safari but a third of the cost. You dont need Pentra Bark Onyx has the material that will penetrate the bark of a tree.

whoopassonthebluegrass
03-23-2010, 11:59 PM
Hey whoopass why not use Onyx which is basically the same stuff as Safari but a third of the cost. You dont need Pentra Bark Onyx has the material that will penetrate the bark of a tree.

I'll contact my vendors tomorrow and see if they carry it. Thanks for the tip.

Wait. I just looked at a label. Bifenthrin product? I have bifenthrin out the wazoo. I need a systemic.

Kevin M.
03-24-2010, 09:54 AM
whoop I have used Onyx for a few years on borers with great success and most clients have bought into my program --where we incorporate spraying the trees with also fertilizing them twice per year here in South Carolina

A.T.A.K
03-24-2010, 09:11 PM
Onyx is a good cheap product to use but would not put my rep on the line using bifenthrin any more. If cost is the issue why Onyx Bifin XTS is way cheaper. I love Safri from the free sample which was give to me. I do understand clients cheap ways like most of us do. Offer him both options explain how each one works (which I am sure this does not need to be explained to you). Let him know some of the failures which are going on with Bifenthrin may help a little bit. Some here are doing Bifin XTS and Merit for fast and long term control and getting good control with it.

jvanvliet
03-25-2010, 06:56 AM
Try CoreTect tablets @ $65 per 250 tablets... 2 tablets per trunk diameter for larger trees and one for smaller trees. Don't have the label in front of me but believe each tab contains 27% imidachloropid & some nitrogen, other micro nutrients & and an agricultural hormone to speed the uptake.

I use my portable 24V RIGID drill and a 1" masonary bit (cheaper) drill my holes evenly around the base of the tree (about 3-4" deep) and drop in a couple of tabs. No chemicals on the surface to contaminate the grounds, conyinuous release over longer periods of time and I don't have to bust my hump pulling hose and mixing chems.

You may also consider trunk injection... there are several products available. Chemjet is the cheapest (about 12.00 per injection syringe) Mix the imidachloropid to 17% and fill the syringe - space syringes @waist level about 4" apart around the trunk of the tree angled down into XYLUM. Duration depends on the tree & time of the season. Uptake is very fast & should do you about 6 - 8 months.

I've had good sucess with both types of applications. The tablets prophylacticly if you know infestation is inevitable (like white fly on our fichus) and injection when infestation is first detected.

whoopassonthebluegrass
03-25-2010, 10:32 AM
CoreTect appeals (I only want this job if I can do it without buying new equipment), but (for your own clarification) looking at the CoreTect Label, it calls for 2-3 tablets PER INCH OF DIAMETER.

Still, though: cheaper and just about as easy.

I'll do a little homework on it. Thanks.

Is there an online supplier for this product?

And can anyone else couch for CoreTect?

jvanvliet
03-25-2010, 04:56 PM
yah I know it says 2-3 tabs... but you have to consider the diameter & height. Common sense should prevail, 3 tabs per inch around a 12inch sapling is too much; also consider what you are treating; minimum dosage for efficacy is always best management.

I get mine at HELENA Chemical; I believe they ship but it will increase the cost, they may even be in your area try 561-585-2221 ask for Peg or Al & tell them Jobe from Pros & Cons sent ya.

I didn'tmind the investement in the syringes since I treat a lot of trees near water and we have severe restrictions on spraying & soil injection near waterways. Since I treat them every year (cause I got the equipment) it was worth the investment.

Anyway good hunting, I believe the BAYER web site has more info including a how to video)

whoopassonthebluegrass
03-25-2010, 06:45 PM
yah I know it says 2-3 tabs... but you have to consider the diameter & height. Common sense should prevail, 3 tabs per inch around a 12inch sapling is too much; also consider what you are treating; minimum dosage for efficacy is always best management.

?? You lost me. A 12" sapling would only have a diamater of like 1/4" of an inch. Which would equate to less than 1 tablet.

Thanks for the lead, though. I'll see if I can track them down...

jvanvliet
03-26-2010, 06:50 AM
What I meant was 12" diameter... I'm not a arboriginist. 12" diameter is a small tree to me, hence sapling... most of the trees I deal with are mature Fichus.... some as much as 70" diameter.

Sorry to confuse you.