PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting centrifugal clutch on perma green

rhittle
03-23-2010, 04:10 PM
I have a Perma green Centri. Does anyone know how to adjust the centrifugal clutch on these? I have trouble getting up slight inclines as it is now. I have seen clutchs that have an adjustment screw in the middle but this one doesn't have one.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-23-2010, 04:35 PM
I have been working with this same part as you, on my Centri.

First off, clean out the clutch with brake clean (this was recommended to me by PG).
Then call PG direct - very helpful.

NattyLawn
03-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Are we talking about a Centri or Magnum here? My issues with inclines with the Magnum have been because of belt wear, not the clutch.

RigglePLC
03-23-2010, 09:51 PM
Good point, Natty. Install drive new belt first. About 43 inches----about $17. Can you add a little weight to the centrifigal clutch shoes?

Does it climb hills OK in low gear? If so, it may be that the motor governor is not giving it more throttle when the load is greater. Any mower shop can fix this in a few minutes.

GravelyGuy
03-23-2010, 09:54 PM
You can find that 43" belt a Rural King for $3.50 if you need one. PG will give you the shaft on parts.

indyturf
03-23-2010, 11:55 PM
I don't think you can adjust the clutch on the Centri or the Magnum. the Magnum is a wet clutch not the centrifugal like the Centri. Probably has more to do with belt wear or if the clutch is older it may need replaced. check the tension pulley and make sure working as it should.

rhittle
03-24-2010, 09:07 AM
Thanks for everyones input. It is a Centri and I'm pretty sure the problem is in the clutch because of a couple of things. Low gear works pretty good. High gear is the most problem. I had the hopper off doing some work and got to drive it while watching the belts. The belts wern't slipping. The only other thing I could think was that there could be a bind in the transmission somewhere. I will try the brake dust cleaner.

RigglePLC
03-24-2010, 11:23 PM
If the belt is slipping it would most likely not be the big pulley in front, but rather the small pulley attached to the motor. Check the belt for visul signs of wear. Also if the belt is wet--it is more likely to slip. If the motor accelerates, but the machine doesn't...suspect the clutch, (or belt).

indyturf
03-24-2010, 11:38 PM
I would try the new belt. its cheap and if it ends up being the clutch you will want to put a new belt on while your working on it anyway.

roccon31
03-24-2010, 11:38 PM
you could also try to replace your carb governer springs. i got a unit used, that wouldnt get out of its own way, though the rpms seemed high enough to be at full throttle. i was wrong. after one broke, i found the other springs weak and corroded, so i called PG and ordered new ones for about 5 bucks. after i put them on, the thing was doing burnouts all over the place it had so much more power!! now i have to watch my throttle hand because it will tear up the grass in high gear if im not careful.

rhittle
03-25-2010, 07:50 AM
Thanks roccon31. That makes sense. I ordered a new clutch but, I think i will call back and get the springs also. It will probably make a difference in my spray volume also.