PDA

View Full Version : Aerate or Slit-seed

Pistol
03-23-2010, 09:18 PM
I have a customer that has a yard that is 90% bermuda. He wants me to aerate and seed with fescue so that he has a nice green lawn for the next 1-2 months until the bermuda takes off in the heat of the summer.

I'm thinking a slit-seeder may work better for what he wants to accomplish. I think I'll get better seed germination / seed to soil contact.

Will the slit seeder make a mess of the bermuda runners? What do you all think of my plan?

Thanks

cgaengineer
03-24-2010, 03:29 PM
I have a customer that has a yard that is 90% bermuda. He wants me to aerate and seed with fescue so that he has a nice green lawn for the next 1-2 months until the bermuda takes off in the heat of the summer.

I'm thinking a slit-seeder may work better for what he wants to accomplish. I think I'll get better seed germination / seed to soil contact.

Will the slit seeder make a mess of the bermuda runners? What do you all think of my plan?

Thanks

Surely your customer wants annual rye grass and not fescue?

fl-landscapes
03-24-2010, 03:53 PM
yup....go with rye. Wont even need to slit seed, just broadcast spread and water. You can slit seed it (I own a lawn solutions seeder) but rye is one seed that will germinate when spread on the ground. Be sure to keep it moist until it fills in

Pistol
03-24-2010, 09:06 PM
Sorry guys - too late - aerated and put out 50# of lesco tri-gold.

Why annual rye - I've never used it, but I've seen some that I think was An Rye - kind of a light green color. What are the advantages? Quick, easy germination (sounds like it)? This guy would like to get to fescue, but his yard is pretty heavy in bermuda. Any advice would be appreciated (for the future jobs).

cgaengineer
03-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Because applying fescue in a primarily bermuda lawn is a bad idea, its going to look awful in the winter...just enough fescue will survive over the summer. Your customer will likely not be very happy with how his lawn will look next season.

If bermuda is the primary grass it is likely full sun and the fescue will suffer and go dormant. In the winter he will have clumps of fescue everywhere. Rye is the grass chosen for overseeding because it cannot survive the heat of the summer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Boomer Sooner
05-03-2010, 09:13 PM
Fescue can look good in a full sun area , but they have to water,
Fescue looks much better than rye, performs better, planting now is a bad idea, it will be dead by the end of June, slice seeding is a much better practice

if you seed the 1st or second week of sept, the lawn will come in by Oct,
then the turf will establish and be able to handle heat of summer better,

cgaengineer
05-03-2010, 09:16 PM
It can't take it even with regular irrigation around here...trust me. I know of an owner of a high end landscaping company who has a fescue lawn and its burned out by July and he has an unlimited water source (a large creek).

Around here its either bermuda, cactus or rock.
Posted via Mobile Device