PDA

View Full Version : First cutting with new ZT mower (review)

Sonnie Parker
06-21-2002, 12:33 PM
I investigated ZTR/ZTH riding mowers and decided I would have to spend the money to get what I needed to cut approximately 6 acres. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the prices are scary and ridiculous, my opinion of this has not changed.

Many of the mowers mentioned in this forum appeared to be very respectable mowers. I looked at Toro, Snapper, Exmark, Bobcat, and Husqvarna. My decision ended up coming down to the dealer and dealer service along with price.

I purchased the Husqvarna ZTH5223 XP Series (52" cut with Kawasaki 23hp) for $6600. Actually I haven't paid for it yet but I have it and have used it to cut everything I could possibly cut and plan on keeping it. The dealer was very nice about allowing me to try it out. Plus, the dealer is across the street from me.

Husqvarna purchased Yazoo/Kees a couple of years ago so they could start building a commercial mower. This mower came out of Beatrice, NE. It's built like a tank. When comparing it to other ZTR/ZTH type mowers, I really couldn't tell a lot of difference in quality, they all appeared to be built very well. I was least impressed with the Snapper mowers (mainly appearance).

The first cut I made was just to try out the mower. I cut some grass that had not been cut in several years. Knee high or better bahia mixed with centipede, bermuda, weeds, and a few thorns. Although I had to cut slow, it cut very well. At first I cut at 4" and after dropping to 2.5" it cut even better and faster, still not as fast as I'd like, but, I was asking for a lot with this area I was cutting.

I had to wait a few days before I cut my regular area because it had not been a week and it really didn't need it. After the week was up I cut everything that I would cut which would max out at approximately 6 acres. Sometimes I would cut a little less with my Sears Craftsman but the week before I had cut everything so I went ahead and cut everything again this time. It had normally taken me 6+ hours to cut with the Sears. This time it took me 2.1 hours. I was amazed at how fast I could drive this unit and get such a good cut. On level ground I cut fly wide open. I had the motion levers pushed as far forward as they could go (obviously until I made a turn). On the bumpy, hilly area I had to slow down a bit and take it a little easier. The area I cut had never looked better. I didn't have strips of cut grass streaking the land. The Husqvarna threw the grass a good distance, chopping it up and spreading it out very well to a point is was not noticeable. My wife commented on how good it looked vs. using the Sears.

I also checked the blades after I cut. I cut over some sticks, cow patties, ant mounds, and down each side of our slag rock driveway that is 1250 foot long, throwing a few rocks here and there. My Sears blades always look terrible just after one cut, sometimes the ends would even be split. The Husqvarna blades were much thicker blades to start with so I was interested in seeing what they looked like. I was amazed that they didn't seem like they had even been used. No nicks and still fairly sharp. The Husqvarna blades are a little more expensive but must be well worth it.

If there was a drawback it would be that I've never been as covered in dust as I was this time. This thing will throw out some dust and it's hard to dodge it. I believe I will need to be praying for rain before I cut each time. I was one nasty man.

I am usually worn out and tired after being on my Sears mower for that long of period but not so with the Husqvarna. I would obviously expect this by reducing my cut time approximately 4 hours.

Needless to say, I'm happy and would recommend this unit to anyone looking for a good ZTR/ZTH mower.

65hoss
06-27-2002, 06:27 PM
Good review and good luck. Hope you get years of service out of it.