PDA

View Full Version : Leaf spot on Red Tips treat or remove and replace with something else?

hillcountry
03-24-2010, 12:22 PM
I have a client that has a 25 ft row of well established Red Tip Photinias that have leaf spot. Two of them are defoliated, but are not toast yet. The rest of them are sending out new growth, but they don't look as good as they should. I did some research and it seem to be a reoccuring problem with red tips and found mixed emotions about treatment versus removal.
Has anyone dealt with this issue?
What would be the best reccomendation?
Appreciate any help

Think Green
03-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Hill,
We treat the black spot disease with Daconil on monthly applications. I really don't prefer the Photinia anymore because of this water dispersing disease. It overwinters on the branches and will reoccur each season. During high humidity it persists. The only way to control it is to reduce water to leaf contact..............yeah right!!
All of the diseased leaf material will need to be cleaned up each week and discarded. All lesioned branches, limbs,etc need to be cut out and your tools sterilized. Other than that replace with the cleyera japonica as it favors the photinia.

Turf Dawg
03-25-2010, 01:07 PM
In my area the Red Tips and Indian Hawthorns have been getting wiped out by Entosporium [spelling] leaf spot. I heard awhile back at one of the trade show lectures that they feel there will be two kinds of Red Tips in the near future, the one that have been killed by this leaf spot and the one that are going to be killed by this leaf spot, and they feel a lot of the varieties of Indian Hawthorns will end up with the same fate. I guess one good thing about it is that I have had some people get me to pull out their Red Tips hedge rows where some have died and replace them with something else.

hillcountry
03-25-2010, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the help....I thought the best route to go is to pull them out and replace them. Appreciate it.

cgaengineer
04-08-2010, 02:13 PM
I am having this same problem right now with my Indian Hawthorns and just treated them today. Mine don't look really bad, but they are thin. I am hoping they will recover as they all have new shoots on them.

Kevin M.
04-08-2010, 02:32 PM
WAIT WAIT lets hope you didnt tear these red tips out. I have a program for saving them and having them thrive for years to come. First of all is to mulch them and replace the straw under them and second yes you will have to spray fungicide monthly thru September. Also fertilize them with a slow release fertilizer which will make them healthy and happy and this is a great program I have developed over many years of treating both raphiolepis and red tips. Try this out for a season before you tear them out and maybe lose your screening and have to redevelop that.

hillcountry
04-08-2010, 08:58 PM
No, I havent torn them out yet. I told the owner their options and told them that we can try treatment first, but I haven't heard back from them. Then again, they might call tomorrow and want it done yesterday which seems to be the trend here lately.

lonestar98
04-08-2010, 09:49 PM
We have been replacing red tips with waxed leaf legustrums. Will grow as fast, and are easier to trim. ( branches are not as hard, brittle when they need to be cut back alot.

Turf Dawg
04-09-2010, 10:04 PM
WAIT WAIT lets hope you didnt tear these red tips out. I have a program for saving them and having them thrive for years to come. First of all is to mulch them and replace the straw under them and second yes you will have to spray fungicide monthly thru September. Also fertilize them with a slow release fertilizer which will make them healthy and happy and this is a great program I have developed over many years of treating both raphiolepis and red tips. Try this out for a season before you tear them out and maybe lose your screening and have to redevelop that.

But at what cost are you talking about to the customers? In three years time will it cost as much as replacing them with something that you are not going to be treating every month for years?