PDA

View Full Version : spacing your weed applications

grassmasterswilson
03-24-2010, 05:27 PM
What is a good spacing for weed applications? I currently do mine every 5 or 6 weeks. I skip june-august due to the fact that we generally have temps in the mid to uppper 90s all the time and some clients don't irrigate.

How close is too close for apps? 2 weeks, 3 weeks? I am getting calls for weed estimates and want to keep everyone on my schedule. So when would you push a customer to the next round?

starry night
03-24-2010, 06:12 PM
Are you talking about broadleaf weed applications? Are you talking about blanket applications that often? If so your killin' the soil. A little squirt here and there is a different story.

cod8825
03-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Grass:

Since almost all of my clients are non-irrigated I do them on a six week schedule starting in March and skip the month of mid July to August due to high temps. I only blanket spray when I absolutely have too. Other than that I back pack the weeds at every app the few that come up.

Matt

Young Bros
03-24-2010, 10:50 PM
We do 1 to 6 apps and fert every 4-7 weeks. Blanket spray 2 to 3 apps and spot spray the rest except winterizer.

Think Green
03-24-2010, 10:55 PM
4-7 week intervals for us too.
The thing to know is your growing cycles and temps. Seasonal fluctuations will alter things a bit unless you are servicing several hundred customers. We started in mid March--had to as the broadleaf hit hard here early. RD-2 will start in late April of postemerge and fert. IF we pick up late customers with crabgrass, then it is another story on the apps. The crab gets extra treatments!!

LawnoftheMonth
03-24-2010, 10:56 PM
spot treat with post emergent as needed, pre- emergent in 0ctober and feb.

RigglePLC
03-24-2010, 11:05 PM
June and September, and as needed spot spray and new clients. More than half are irrigated. I liked to kill weeds when they were young and growing fast...however...spurge is the weed I hate the most--and it is a warm weather weed. Best to spray it during July. Very tough when mature.

Remember--most 2,4-D containing products can only be used twice per year.

Young Bros
03-24-2010, 11:08 PM
Remember--most 2,4-D containing products can only be used twice per year.

2, 4-D can be blanket sprayed twice a year, not used twice a year. You can spot spray with it the other apps. When we need a 3rd blanket app we use Power Zone (no 2, 4-D)

http://www.pbigordon.com/professional/page.php?id=292