PDA

View Full Version : Renovating a lawn that was once covered by shade trees

thefed
03-24-2010, 05:33 PM
I just removed a huge maple from my front yard....one still remains....Everywhere the shadows were the grass is just thin/sparse ad later in the year used to get mossy. Not sure if there's thatch...when i dig up a sample it all seems very shallow

I'm wondering what may be the least expensive most effective way to renovate this yard?

My ideas were:

1) dethatch the whole thing to a) get the thatch b) rough up the dirt. then broadcast seed, fert, and water

2) slit-seed the whole thing without dethatching....fert and water

3) kill the whole damned thing with roundup, using that dead grass as mulch I would then either slit-seed or broadcast seed.

4) Least favorite...have a buddy come with skidsteer and till everything up, re-grade...and start fresh

Ideas/suggestions?

I am in NE Ohio if that helps any...

tombo82685
03-25-2010, 10:48 PM
Not sure how much of an area your looking at, but you could rent a sod cutter then just sod the whole area that is thin. Granted sodding is more exspensive then seeding, but you get instant grass.

thefed
03-26-2010, 10:03 AM
its maybe 5000 sf...but trying to keep this cheap!

tombo82685
03-26-2010, 08:24 PM
The lack of grass where the shadows are is because lack of sun, and the tree is sucking the nutrients and water in the soil, creating competition. Moss forms, in an area with low pH, shady, and moist conditions. Not saying you don't have thatch in the area, but thatch isn't caused from the leaves of the tree. What do you mean by its all shallow? Does the area get sun right now? Are the existing roots from the tree that was taken down gone?