PDA

View Full Version : broadleaf timing

teejet
03-24-2010, 06:51 PM
Anyone hit broadleaf weeds early before crabgrass sprouts. I have about 2 weeks to get barricade down. I don't know if I should start adding ester to the tank or wait till next round.
Last year I sprayed for broadleafs to early and it didn't kill them. I also don't want to wait till next app. (8-10 weeks ) for weed kill. I only have about 60 lawns. Is my best approach to wait till right before crabgrass sprouts and add weed spray to the first round?
I know the best time to get good weed kill is after dandies bloom.Any advice would be helpful. I am in southern Indiana

teejet
03-24-2010, 09:39 PM
Does anyone start rd. 1 without post weed kill and then start adding it as it gets warmer, or does that make things more complicated to keep track of who got what?

RigglePLC
03-24-2010, 09:58 PM
Last year I added weed control only for new customers that needed it. Takes more time, but I went around to most new customers and sprayed their weeds on the first day dandelions became visible. Then back to the crabgrass control route. Main blanket weed control was in June.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-25-2010, 01:33 AM
I generally do fert+pre only Rd 1. May carry my backpack to spot spray some problem broadleaf areas but generally broadleafs aren't hardly visible yet when I put down pre.
I prefer not to 'hunt and peck' for weeds on my customer's lawns. I try to hit most lawns when the greatest broadleaf pressure is peaking. Here, that is generally mid-late May and then another surge mid-late August. Blanketing in April is just silly and not IPM.

My Rd 2 (late May) is my first blanket rd.