PDA

View Full Version : Potentilla in the winter?

robert payer
06-21-2002, 08:43 PM
Working on a design and wanted some advice. I am looking to plant along a walk way at my house. I am planning on a S curve of sort with Korean Boxwoods. The other day I had seen some Potentilla with the white flowers . This would be a outstanding combination with the Boxwoods. The effect would be beyond belief in my opinion. The two plants just compliment each other in every way. I am not terribly familiar with Potentilla. I only know the usual stuff like planting it in sandy soil. What does Potentilla look like in the Winter months? Can it be cut down to the ground in the late fall and still grow tall for summer?

Please help with any advice!

This might be another blockbuster combination planting to be share with you all!

Plant combinations welcome!

Lanelle? (Our planting guru!)

AGLA
06-22-2002, 06:59 AM
Potentilla are not very pretty in the winter. I don't think that they are fast at responding to pruning. If the potentilla are going to be needed for winter interest, you might want to use something else.
They have great summer and fall blooming.

kris
06-22-2002, 08:19 AM
They are not pretty at all in the winter ... you will think they are dead come spring as they "come around" slowly . Pruning - usually take out the older branches and shape a desired. They are very hardy ...colours around here are orange...white... pink and yellow.

Lanelle
06-22-2002, 12:21 PM
Potentilla is a little loose (almost ratty looking) and not very popular here. I can see maybe using a low variety in front of a boxwood background, but there are so many other possiblities. Also for winter color, have you tried winter jasmine? Blooms yellow. Little Princess spirea may be a good choice also for summer bloom. Is winter daphne hardy for you?