PDA

View Full Version : Seven Dust?

JMiller08
03-24-2010, 06:48 PM
Anyone use seven dust? I have a was problem and i went to home depot the other day. The guy instructed me to use seven dust. How effective is it? I spread it all over around the problem areas by my house. I cant even let my dogs out on their tie outs because theyve gotten stung. Last year i used regular was spray worked for about a week then they came back even worse. So does anyone have actual experiance with this stuff or is there anything better?

SeedPro
03-24-2010, 07:25 PM
I use it to dust my cats and dogs for fleas.

What are you after? Bees? Use Orthene. (Acephate)

JMiller08
03-24-2010, 07:33 PM
Whoops i meant to put wasp. I forgot the p.

SeedPro
03-24-2010, 07:35 PM
Eh there's probably some pyrithrins or something but some good old cheap as hell Acephate will chase em away.

JMiller08
03-24-2010, 07:36 PM
Where can i get acephate?

phasthound
03-24-2010, 07:44 PM
Anyone use seven dust? I have a was problem and i went to home depot the other day. The guy instructed me to use seven dust. How effective is it? I spread it all over around the problem areas by my house. I cant even let my dogs out on their tie outs because theyve gotten stung. Last year i used regular was spray worked for about a week then they came back even worse. So does anyone have actual experiance with this stuff or is there anything better?

What are you trying to prevent? What kind of insect is stinging your dogs?
Or are they being bitten rather than stung. Is this happening at this time of year? If so, sounds like ticks, not a stinging insect, but a spider like pest. Sevin will not kill them, but will kill their natural predators & increase the # of ticks.

Do not apply pesticides to your dogs or your property until you have diagnosed what the cause is. Do not rely on accurate pesticide info from guys at HD.

SeedPro
03-24-2010, 07:49 PM
Or are they being bitten rather than stung. Is this happening at this time of year? If so, sounds like ticks, not a stinging insect, but a spider like pest. Sevin will not kill them, but will kill their natural predators & increase the # of ticks.

Do not apply pesticides to your dogs or your property until you have diagnosed what the cause is. Do not rely on accurate pesticide info from guys at HD.

He said he has wasps FFS.

Not Ticks.

JMiller08
03-24-2010, 07:50 PM

We have a wasp problem. I just dusted around where they are hanging out, so i will see what happens.

phasthound
03-24-2010, 07:51 PM
Eh there's probably some pyrithrins or something but some good old cheap as hell Acephate will chase em away.

Wrong advice. Pyrethrins or Acephate will not "chase them away". If you know it's wasps, you need to locate the nest and treat it directly. Indiscriminate applications of pesticides may not be effective and may be detrimental to your dogs' health.

RigglePLC
03-24-2010, 09:12 PM
I have heard Sevin dust is excellent for ground nesting yellow jackets. Wait till night and dump in an ounce or two into the nest opening. The dust clings to their body hairs and eventually contaminates the whole nest as they go in and out.
HOWEVER...it is not yellowjacket season. Determine the exact problem first. Sevin is highly toxic to bees and Etc--and often that is a big negative.

phasthound
03-24-2010, 09:38 PM
I have heard Sevin dust is excellent for ground nesting yellow jackets. Wait till night and dump in an ounce or two into the nest opening. The dust clings to their body hairs and eventually contaminates the whole nest as they go in and out.
HOWEVER...it is not yellowjacket season. Determine the exact problem first. Sevin is highly toxic to bees and Etc--and often that is a big negative.

Yea, that's my big question, what stinging insect is active now in Ohio and stinging dogs?

JMiller08
03-24-2010, 09:46 PM
Let me be clear here. They are wasps. They havent stung my dogs this year because i can barely get them to go on there leads because of last year they got stung and are too scared unless i stand out there with them. The wasps are out and about and have been for a week or two. Right now they arent that bad but they are here. I want to eradicate the problem now before the place becomes a nightmare like last year. I applied the seven dust earlier this evening to the area. I will see if they are still hanging around in a few days. If they are im looking for another way to go about doing this. So if you know how to rid an area of WASPS please let me know. Not trying to sound like a d**K but doesnt seem like anybody is reading my post. Thanks guys.

kirk1701
03-24-2010, 10:55 PM
I run over one of those ground nesting yellowjacket nests as a kid with the push mower :laugh:

Funny now, wasn't funny then but I did find the neighbors pool real quick :clapping:

grassman177
03-24-2010, 11:22 PM
i know it is labeled as toxic to bees, but i used sevin dust to plug a hole in my foundation where carpenter bees had begun to nest, after a whole week they wer thriving like mad, so not sure it is so toxic to them!! but i used my household spray consisting of a chem called DEMON MAXX. it fried em up good, it is relaly good for spiders that is why i have it. i do my own home pest control and so far after a few years so good.

phasthound
03-25-2010, 08:12 AM
Let me be clear here. They are wasps. They havent stung my dogs this year because i can barely get them to go on there leads because of last year they got stung and are too scared unless i stand out there with them. The wasps are out and about and have been for a week or two. Right now they arent that bad but they are here. I want to eradicate the problem now before the place becomes a nightmare like last year. I applied the seven dust earlier this evening to the area. I will see if they are still hanging around in a few days. If they are im looking for another way to go about doing this. So if you know how to rid an area of WASPS please let me know. Not trying to sound like a d**K but doesnt seem like anybody is reading my post. Thanks guys.

OK. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you applied Sevin dust to the area? Have you located the nest and applied into it?

rlitman
03-25-2010, 08:16 AM
Wrong advice. Pyrethrins or Acephate will not "chase them away". If you know it's wasps, you need to locate the nest and treat it directly. Indiscriminate applications of pesticides may not be effective and may be detrimental to your dogs' health.

SO TRUE!

Sevin (carbaryl) is highly toxic to wasps (and fish as well), but just dusting it all around in "problem areas" isn't a good solution.

Can you describe the "wasps" that are causing your problem? Knowing the type of wasp, can help in determining what type of nest to look for.

If you see wasps flying around, foraging, you're wasting your time, killing them. The nests can produce workers just about as fast as you can kill them off. If they're attracted to protein (like the bald faced hornets I have issues with), they won't bring the dust back to the nest either, so dusting wont help.
BUT, if you're not allergic, just stand around for a few minutes (preferably out of their direct flight path), and watch to where they go. The workers will spend a few minutes foraging, and then will return home. Pay attention, and they'll lead you to the nest (which you should keep a serious distance from). Then, wait until dusk, and empty a few cans of wasp spray on the nest (if you can see it). This is pretty easy with a nest in a bush or tree.

One issue I had, was that ground wasps create a nest that isn't visible (except for the entrance). Since the wasps will avoid the spray, if you just flood the entrance, they may find another exit. I've had this issue with wasps that got into a block in my foundation, through the rotted sill of a basement window. I ended up handing my wife half a dozen cans of foaming wasp spray, and with one in each hand, I instructed her to keep the opening entirely covered and closed with foam, as I chopped the sill out with an axe.
Once the nest was exposed, another can finished it off. Probably not the smartest thing to do though. :)

With a hole in the middle of a yard, many people will suggest a cup of gasoline. Fire isn't your friend here; just the fumes, but I'm not a fan of poisoning the ground water.

BTW, while wasps won't re-use a nest (and actually actively avoid old ones), they do have particular tastes in housing. If a crack in your wall attracted them once, and they're in the area, they may come back (this is an issue I've had several times). This is where sevin is GREAT. Unlike the sprays, which stop being effective at killing within days (so they can move back in), if you dust in an enclosed area that doesn't get rained on, it can deny the space to insects for years.

DJ Contracting
03-25-2010, 08:20 AM
I don't know if the Seven dust will work on wasp, like you said wait a couple of days and if the activity lessons, then use some more. I had a wasp nest about the size of a football up by the eve on one of my rental homes, I sprayed 4 cans of wasp and bee killer just to get close enough to knock down the nest and destroy it (and I only got stung 3 times :laugh:) good luck -Joe-