PDA

View Full Version : How much life left in it?

vandrv
06-21-2002, 10:16 PM
I am in the market for a zero turn mower and have looked at several brands, but just found a dealer with a used Toro Z that appears to be in good shape. It has a 25 hp Kohler engine with 1500 hrs on it. He is asking $4000 for the unit. My question is how long should this mower and motor last before needing serious work done assuming normal maintenance? Also is this a decent price?. I would probably not use this mower more than about 50 hrs a year tops. Was wondering if this might be the way to go or should I just bite the bulllet and go new? Thanks for any help.

65hoss
06-22-2002, 07:35 AM
What size deck? What year mower is it?

It also depends on how well it was actually maintained. I would think its too high for a 1500 hr machine. Heck, for $2500 more you can get a new one with a warrenty.

ProMo
06-22-2002, 09:37 PM
a freinds ztr has 400 hrs with a cracked head one i had flew apart at 1000 hrs one i have now has 1500 hrs runs great i would go new you usually get a better warranty for non commercial use look for something with good filter setup

John DiMartino
06-22-2002, 10:00 PM
Id pass,the only Kohler that Id buy with 1500 hrs on it,and expect another 1500 is one mounted on a Dixie.Without the extra coolers,id expect the engine to need to be replaced by 2000 hrs at best,you'll drop 2K putting a new engine in it,then what if you lose a hydro motor,and the splindles are getting tired,-soon you will have 7k into a worn out mower.Buy a new one,you know what you've got,and you'll get many years of trouble free operation(without dumping tons of $$ into it).if it were 2500 bucks,and clean,and you are mechanically inclined,and can do your own repairs,id seroiusly consider it.At 4K let it go,or offer 2500 in a month when he cant sell it.

ProMo
06-22-2002, 10:22 PM
yes i agree mine was a orange mower and so was freinds i had the older one that had the motor basically under the seat no air circulation freinds is orange to hmmmm guess they havnt changed im running dixie now only thing ive ever replaced is belt tire oil and filter still runs like new